Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by hydark
Re: Passing on the right [hydark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMMT was a little different. There was a very wide paved shoulder on 117 but they asked us to ride in the traffic lane. There was a full lane of good pavement on our right. I was probably passed on the right about 10 times but is was never dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That happens sometimes for sure, but it isn't nearly as big a problem as blocking riding to the left. I suspect if we solved this then your problem would magically disappear too because people would not need to look for openings to squeeze by on the right. My guess is someone behind you was riding to the left and they got passed to the right because they wouldn't move over. Then the passing athlete continued passing you to the right too.
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to tend to agree... Hard to imagine someone electing to pass on the R if there was an adequate amount of space on the L as there should be. I did it myself once in that scenario ~ of course the oblivious dufus I passed immediately tried to scold me for coming by on the right (he was to the left of the fog line, despite a generous shoulder there), but was interrupted by the moto official calling him out for blocking, hee hee (I didn't even realize he was back there, but he had to have seen the whole thing transpire as he was approaching, including me sitting up trying to wait unsuccessfully for a proper gap to open up first).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little tricky when there is a large shoulder or a right turn lane.

At IM CDA this weekend, I was only passes on the right once (passed on the left plenty of times;). It was coming through town where we had two full lanes in our direction but no shoulder. There were spectators standing just off of the curb with lots of signs and cowbells sticking in the path of travel. I was riding in the middle of the right lane and was getting passed on the left with the other rider still in the right lane. At this point, another rider squeezes past between me and the spectators on the right of the lane. The entire left lane was open and there were no obstacles in the road. The other rider and I look at each other and said WTF! He had an entire lane and decides to come within inches of spectators at nearly 20mph.

The rest of the race, people were surprisingly glued to the fog line. I saw no one blatantly riding on the left.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they were Aussies or Brits? I'm always surprised when I watch tri's on TV and see them passing on the "wrong" side. I wonder whether I'd get it right if I did a race over/under there.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
4x on the course people passed me on the right. 2x I was 2-3 inches off the white line and they squeezed in and 2x this occurred on a turn.

That's surprising, unless there's a big shoulder 2-3 inches isn't enough space for someone to squeeze through, if there was a big shoulder then it's probably not that dangerous (& depending on the race riding that line could be considered blocking). I assume on the turn you were drifting out towards the center of the road? If so an inside pass can actually be safer (depending on how it's performed).

Not to be rude, but if you often get passed on the right you might want to consider why. I've yet to meet anyone who wants to pass on the right & risk a penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been passed On the right in my life. In fact, my bike split was a 2:34 so I was only passed by a handful of people in general. I get what you're saying but there was ample room on the left (I was passed when eating) but on a turn there is zero excuse.

http://www.tripothesis.com - Comprehensive Tri and running training plans starting at only $10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
After reading some of the IMMT race reports and not believing it, I had the displeasure of experiencing this at Maine 70.3 this weekend. 4x on the course people passed me on the right. 2x I was 2-3 inches off the white line and they squeezed in and 2x this occurred on a turn.

What can we do to enforce this? It's begging for a crash. Not to point fingers but all 4 times this was done by French Canadians. Is this common up north? I've never had this issue in any of my other races. The athlete that passed away at IMMT went down on the bike (people said after a right pass).

I'm planning to write an email to Ironman. This is just asking for a disaster.

Was the turn a uturn? Going left or right?

Or is the issue passing anywhere while in a turn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
After reading some of the IMMT race reports and not believing it, I had the displeasure of experiencing this at Maine 70.3 this weekend. 4x on the course people passed me on the right. 2x I was 2-3 inches off the white line and they squeezed in and 2x this occurred on a turn.

What can we do to enforce this? It's begging for a crash. Not to point fingers but all 4 times this was done by French Canadians. Is this common up north? I've never had this issue in any of my other races. The athlete that passed away at IMMT went down on the bike (people said after a right pass).

I'm planning to write an email to Ironman. This is just asking for a disaster.

I had it happen once during Maine, but I wasn't as far to the right as I could/should have been, was dicking around switching bottles from front to back. I don't mind if you go on my right, especially if I'm in the way, just give a shout. I had to pass on the right a couple times because the world revolves around each triathlete and "ain't nobody got time for that," mentality.

I'll agree with most sentiments on here, if you get passed on the right 3-4 times during a race, you may want to take a look in the mirror to find the guilty party.
Last edited by: B3CK: Aug 30, 17 4:37
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll retype what I said before. My average was almost 22mph. Perhaps one of the times I was passed I was messing around drinking or eating but the other 2 were ON ACTUAL TURNS. What's even sadder is the people that passed me got caught and never seen again because they're MOP/BOP, you're risking a crash for literally nothing on a turn.

http://www.tripothesis.com - Comprehensive Tri and running training plans starting at only $10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
I'll retype what I said before. My average was almost 22mph. Perhaps one of the times I was passed I was messing around drinking or eating but the other 2 were ON ACTUAL TURNS. What's even sadder is the people that passed me got caught and never seen again because they're MOP/BOP, you're risking a crash for literally nothing on a turn.

If you are holding up other racers in a corner you should be leaving them room on your left to pass. Just because some people can corner faster than you can doesn't mean they are risking crashing. The rules still apply in corners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, my experience in this race was different, most were using hand signals to communicate a turn was upcoming and in sharp corners to back the pace off, didn't have any issues with passing on inside or outside. YRMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:

2/10 This isn't even a good job at a backdoor brag.

If you got passed four times on the right, the reason is the man you see in the mirror every morning when you are brushing your teeth.

Further, if people are passing you on the inside on corners, you need to work on your bike handling skills, mr 22 mph.

If you are riding so far to the right that nobody can get by you, nobody will pass you on the right. Pretty simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was room on the left. They passed on the right.

Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, yeah. Several friends who raced voiced the same concerns. But yes, you must be correct as someone who I can assume wasn't there.
It wasn't a brag, it was used to illustrate a point. Whatever the case was, they should have at least said something as oppossed to Just passing on the incorrect side also known as an illegal pass in triathlon so your argument doesn't hold water

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having raced Maine (FWIW I saw two right passes - both on hills where strong riders were making the decision of passing a weaving rider not holding his line on the right, hit the wheel of the guy front of them who was going slowly, or cross a double-yellow to pass on the left).

I am super impressed someone fit a bicycle in 2-3 inches of space on any of those turns as they were pretty damn tight. Sign me up for a French-Canadian bike handling clinic!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
Perhaps one of the times I was passed I was messing around drinking or eating
hydark wrote:
Whatever the case was, they should have at least said something as oppossed to Just passing on the incorrect side also known as an illegal pass

That's often where it gets tricky, if you're closing fast on someone who's drifted out from the side as they're fiddling with a bottle/food shouting can make them swerve.

On the straight, assuming there's plenty of space to their left I'll check behind (to ensure no-one is about to pass me) & give them pretty much the whole rode. But in a corner if they're drifting wide powering through the inside can actually be a lot safer.

Btw, I'm not trying to assert that this is the situation you encountered & I'm sure there are some reckless riders/passes, but pretty much every time I've seen someone pass on the right in a race there's been some reason for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydark wrote:
Not to point fingers but all 4 times this was done by French Canadians. Is this common up north?

This made me laugh out loud. Did the perps self-disclose as they passed on the right? Or were they just muttering "I will only pass a droite! Vive la France!"
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not replying to any specific comment, but I've done Mont Tremblant a number of times and I think there is a different factor at work there. Every time I've done a Mont Tremblant race, they have mentioned in the mandatory meeting that the bike course on the highway consists of the pavement to between white line (fog line) and the dashed line separating lanes. They have specifically noted that on the highway the breakdown lane to the right of white line (which is very wide in areas) is not meant to be part of the bike course, is not cleared off before the race, and as long as you are riding with the white line just to your right, you are riding as far to the right as specified by the course rules.

I have had a few bikes pass me to the right of the white line while they were in the breakdown lane and I was right along the white line. I assume they felt I was riding too far to the left. Based on the race director's instructions in the mandatory meeting, I believe I was riding as far to the right as I should based on course rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclists must look at these conversations and think triathletes are the worst bike handlers in the world. If you're holding your line people should be able to pass on either side of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
French Canadians?? BUILD A WALL!
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Cyclists must look at these conversations and think triathletes are the worst bike handlers in the world. If you're holding your line people should be able to pass on either side of you.

I consider myself a cyclist in respect to your context, and I have to flip a switch every time I race not do what I do on the road. First the rules are different (passing on the right is prohibited by 5.10.e), and second if I can't get at least 6 ft away from some of these people as I pass them I'm a nervous Nelly until I'm clear.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
hydark wrote:
Not to point fingers but all 4 times this was done by French Canadians. Is this common up north?

This made me laugh out loud. Did the perps self-disclose as they passed on the right? Or were they just muttering "I will only pass a droite! Vive la France!"

LOL. They actually have French on their shorts or tri top.

Quote Reply
Re: Passing on the right [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
hydark wrote:

Poutine-breath
Quote Reply

Prev Next