Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Panic cramps?
Quote | Reply
I have been warned, and after three years of racing, I was finally kicked in the nose during the swim. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt at the time (later on the bike the pain set in), but as soon as it happened, I got a massive cramp in my calf. It was as if there was some sort of panic response. It has been a couple years since I cramped during a swim, and increasing my salt and water intake prior to swimming took care of that, so I don't think it was coincidence.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

On a side note, I made the mistake of telling one of my cycling buddies about the experience. He has been trying to work up the nerve to try a tri, but is terrified of the swim. Now he will probably never do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Panic cramps? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I've never been kicked in the nose.
Quote Reply
Re: Panic cramps? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly makes sense....the kick probably released an adrenaline spike...might have contributed. I know emotions tend to make all sorts of things go wonky when performing at effort....I've been kicked in the nose/neck/ribs/shoulders/temples but the only response it's really garnered is an impressive string of colorful language & pain. Makes sense though.

If I ever get choked up while running I'm a mess - wonky breathing usually fires a side stitch ASAP....so maybe.

AW
Quote Reply