Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paint vs Powdercoat
Quote | Reply
I have an older Columbus SL frameset that is starting to show its age. I plan to strip the paint but not sure which way to go. In either case I would go with a single color, with the goal to protect the bike from damage and rust.
- several local shops can do a one coat Powdercoat for a reasonable cost.
- painting would mean sending it to a painter.

Recommendations? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Paint vs Powdercoat [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pros for powdercoat: Very durable finish, cheap and easy to have done, looks good, plenty of choice in color and texture.

Cons: Weighs more than paint.

One other issue my mechanic brought up is when assembling the bike after paint or powdercoat there is always left over color in areas it should not be. Bottom bracket, headset, etc. The paint is easier to scrape off.

I considered stripping down my MTB and having it powdercoated a different color, my mechanic was not real excited about the re-assembly process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powdercoat is going to be more durable than spray.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Paint vs Powdercoat [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are also some good "spray and bake" paints out there. I have used some for firearm finishing on AL surfaces, very durable. With some of them you can really just let it bake inside a dark colored box on a hot day, or very low speed heatgun after application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powder coat is more durable than paint, BUT! it still needs a primer coat under for it to truly protect from rust. You've mentioned single-coat powder, which will basically just allow the rust to spread under the powder. It'll look great... until it starts to flake off in large chunks exposing rusted steel underneath. Make sure your powder coater will do the primer undercoat. If not, then find another one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The previous posts have done a good job listing some fact.

Powder coating is more durable than wet paint, but with wet paint you have more options. If you're going with a single color, that's a moot point.

A couple questions:
  1. Is there any chrome on the bike? If so, you need to have someone who works with the chemicals to remove the chrome/nickel.
  2. Lugs or welds? If it's welded and they used minor body filler to smooth them out, when the frame is blasted, it will be removed too. Then, if they don't redo the work and paint, it will look rough.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Paint vs Powdercoat [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Pros for powdercoat: Very durable finish, cheap and easy to have done, looks good, plenty of choice in color and texture.

Cons: Weighs more than paint.

One other issue my mechanic brought up is when assembling the bike after paint or powdercoat there is always left over color in areas it should not be. Bottom bracket, headset, etc. The paint is easier to scrape off.

I considered stripping down my MTB and having it powdercoated a different color, my mechanic was not real excited about the re-assembly process.

Crappy powedercoating technique will do that... A friend of mine powdercoats as a side biz and does A LOT of bikes. Both bicycle and motorbikes. Never heard an issue. I had a brand spankin' new Surly Straggler done by him and reassembly was not an issue. as long as you do your prep-work right, this is not a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a frame powder coated recently. I chose PC over paint simply out of not having anyone local to paint that I trusted. That has since changed so Im not sure I would go PC again unless the cost of a frame was crazy expensive.

Heres my frame, color shifts from pink-purple-almost blue depending on light and angle.

Quote Reply
Re: Paint vs Powdercoat [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you not got powdercoat bless the bike was expensive?
Quote Reply