Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain in Rib Cage when Running
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Over the last couple of weeks I've run into a new kind of pain while running. Specifically it's a dull (yet intense) pain on the right side of my abdomen and it feels like it's coming from inside of my rib cage, maybe near my liver or kidneys. It's centered about three inches up from the bottom of my ribs on the right side and starts 30-40 minutes have starting a run. If I go *really* easy it seems to not get any worse, but it doesn't quite go away until I stop for a bit.

I've had side aches before (below the ribs) and it's a similar feeling, but in a much higher place. Does anyone have any idea what these are and, more importantly, how to stop them?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in Rib Cage when Running [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are only feeling these pains when you exercise it is most likely diaphragm spasm which would occur from what you are eating. Try avoiding solid foods while training and taking gas x during or after the training. Also, be careful when drinking from water bottles that you are not sucking in too much air which can also lead to pains in the diaphragm. When these pains occur stop and stretch high and to the left side to stretch your diaphragm and take a deep breath.

A less likely, but possible cause would be a complication with you gall bladder. Gall stones caused by a buildup of bile could be seen with a Ct scan, or binary dyskinesia which is poor functioning of the gall bladder
can be seen with a HIDA scan. But, like I said, these are less likely unless you are also feeling the pain when you are not exercising.
Quote Reply