Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I used a cycleops sweat towel.. and the velcro got attached to my aero bar resulting in the below..

95%+ of my workouts for an IM will be on my wahoo kickr... while they looks unsightly does it matter?

thanks,

Link to Cycleops Thong Sweat Catcher : http://www.amazon.com/...1FRD0ZW4MYW6QZHSKH6D

any suggestions for what may work better going forweard.. today I just used a regular hand towel and it did the job but the pads were drenched.. do you normally cover them when on a trainer?
thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors [Peacerocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't cover my pads themselves. I cover my stem and rest the towel on part of the top tube so my sweat isn't getting into bolts and gunking stuff up while not moving.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors [Peacerocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately you'll probably have to get replacement aerobar pads. The good part is that you should be able to get ones that don't peel like the picture you have - mine are slightly different design but have never peeled like that.

I would actually strongly advise using this sweat catcher instead of the bike thong for TT bikes -

http://www.anaerobiczone.com/New_Listings.html

Buy the "cockpit cover". It really works, and is a true bikesaver.

I used that same Cycleops thong for half a year on a trainer, and I sweat a lot. Turns out that small drops of sweat can get past the thong onto the front part of the bike (front brakes, front stem in particular) and corrode the parts solid. It'll look totally normal from the outside, and even after workout after the wipedown the bike looks clean, but any small drop of sweat on a trainer that sits there unmoved for awhile will start to corrode and fuse parts. My entire front brake was fused immobile by the end of that season due to sweat INSIDE the moving parts.

Also - my cockpit cover doesn't fit ideally because I leave an in-between aerobars bottle cage on my bike (I can't use it when the cover is on either because it covers that area, but I'm too lazy to remove it). Even with that poof in the middle, it still works flawlessly.

After getting the cockpit cover, which completely covers all these parts, I've got 6 months with zero outdoor rides and tons of sweat weekly, with zero damage - just remove and the bike's good as new.

I haven't needed to get the rear cover, but it looks good as well. I haven't had any rear corrosion or rear brake issues despite months on the trainer. Part of it is likely the moving parts - if you ride your bike outdoors at least 2x/wk, it's less likely that sweat can stick in one place and corrode stuff, but if you're leaving a bike on a trainer for weeks at at time with no motion on the front, it'll definitely be at risk.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 27, 15 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just stick a garbage bag on the cockpit and put a normal tower on top. The normal towel keeps things from pooling, and the garbage bag makes sure nothing ever penetrates. If it gets stinky, replace the garbage bag and wash the towel. Plus you can get _really_ big garbage bags, and aerobar shifters are easy to use through them.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much. just ordered the cockpit and rear cover (there was bundle of them together) on the website.. Really apprecaite it. meanwhile I will use a garbage bag or the like and the towel or thong.

do you have a picture with the garbage bag / tower :)

also.. I guess I will have to buy the same aero pads that my bike (p5) came with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really ugly. I don't have a picture (indoor season would be over, even if my kickr didn't just die), but I make sure to get the mouth of the garbage bag all the way down to the frame area, so that sweat doesn't get into the shifters, brakes, headset or frame cabling. Towel on top doesn't matter too much, it's mainly just there to be a first line of absorption for the sweat. If you do a ride without the towel, you end up with gross little puddles on top of the garbage bag that drain/fall out when you move the bike.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal towel seems to work for me, free too since we have a dozen just sitting in the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the pads, you can also get something like Cee Gees Cushy's for the 3T Aduro.

A separate additional suggestion to add to the bike towel is to also get a large Pedestal fan to put in front of your bike. I use a 30 inch 1/3 HP 8000CFM one and it makes a big difference for me for comfort/ evaporating sweat (though it's not what I would describe as quiet.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a hand towel across the pads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP63INsGNxU

Check out the concrete on the ground to get an idea of the sheer quantity of sweat I'm trying to defend against.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
Found a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP63INsGNxU

Check out the concrete on the ground to get an idea of the sheer quantity of sweat I'm trying to defend against.

Put one of these in front of you. I cannot keep it on high except on >100 degree days when the A/C can't keep up.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/lasko-20-high-velocity-floor-fan-w-quickmount/prod5660335.ip?navAction=
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pads look the same way on my 3T aerobar (covers ripped off). I just pulled them all the way off. I think they ripped because I tend to push forward on my forearms when I ride.

Outside they feel fine and inside I put a facecloth over each one. I just received my ceegees aerobar pad but I haven't put them on yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CeeGees look nice. Which model would work be suitable for the P5 (2015 shape)

there's a few to chose from on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/...1M6TBRDHPBRGZWH3TMFH

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut up mouse pads.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 2 or 3 tech tee shirts from the races I've done and put them on the front end. The TT bars go through the head hole and the pursuits the arms. I pull them taught as I can get them and have a sweat thong under just in case. For my Garmin mount I cut out a hole in the Tees and voila. I can see my computer and rest in my aero pads without any weird discomfort. I just sweat on the Garmin but I've been thinking of wrapping it in Cling Wrap if it gets to that. I just wipe it while riding for now.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Pads - worn out / bike towel suggestion for indoors [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ols wrote:
For the pads, you can also get something like Cee Gees Cushy's for the 3T Aduro.

A separate additional suggestion to add to the bike towel is to also get a large Pedestal fan to put in front of your bike. I use a 30 inch 1/3 HP 8000CFM one and it makes a big difference for me for comfort/ evaporating sweat (though it's not what I would describe as quiet.)

This! I too recently got a big fan and it's night and day in terms of sweat on the trainer. I'm also able to put out about the same watts inside as outside because of the extra cooling effect. Then you don't have to worry about much sweat!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hand towel and, believe it or not, I slide beer koozies over the armrests so they don't get drenched. Adds a small amount of extra padding as well...
Quote Reply