Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA levels and cycling - any urologists on here?
Quote | Reply
I am on TRT due to primary testicular failure - as a result my PSA levels are monitored by my endo. (45 yrs)
Started on Nebido injections last July. (every 12 weeks)
In december 2013 PSA=1.09
In february 2014 PSA = 0.89
In July 2014 PSA = 8.68
Sept 2014 PSA=3.59

I didnt realise cycling could affect the result (doofus) and had been cycling the day before the high July reading.

However I had not done any cycling (or any strenuous exercise) for 5 days before the latest sept test.

Can the residual effects of cycling cause high readings 5 days after, also the stuff I've read suggests that even cycling the day before should not have resulted in such a high reading (ie. it must have already been above the limits for it too get that high)

My GP and endo didn't seem too concerned and said as it was coming down it was ok to monitor via blood test in a few months,, but I was, so they are going to refer me to a urologist, just wondered what a cyclist/urologists take on it may be.
Last edited by: big_vern: Sep 23, 14 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: PSA levels and cycling - any urologists on here? [big_vern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was concerned about cycling raising my PSA score as well. Mine tested at 3.0 earlier this year which was enough for my primary care to want me to see a urologist. I was hoping it just high due to cycling. Urologist performed biopsy. Came back with a positive result. Cancer Sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA levels and cycling - any urologists on here? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fuck - feel for you mate, got to wait 2 weeks to see a urologist but all the reading suggests it'll be a biopsy for me, - what age are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
58. Too young to not do something about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Vern, you are sort of the exception to all the rules. PSA is a snap shot of one moment during time. On TRT and cycling yours may just be a goofy reading or it could be something serious like cancer on not so much like prosatitis. Sounds like your docs are on top of it and serial PSAs may help or maybe not. I would listen to your docs and if they want a biopsy I would probably get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the cancer, it really torques your brain when you find out. Have you decided on what treatment you will get? I was diagnosed at age 45; thankfully the doctors were on top of it (dumb luck i was tested in the first place). I opted for the robotic surgery and was back at work in 3 days. Now 8 years later I have to say it was a minor speed bump in my life but at the time it was like getting run over by a truck. Hang in there, you will get through it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems odd that riding your bike the day before the high test would have made it rise that much. And then a large drop one month later. It is possible you have an infection. Not saying that you -shouldn't- necessarily get a biopsy, but I would think that your doctor or urologist would want to put you on an antibiotic first, then retest your PSA to see if it is back down to normal range. If it isn't, then you'll probably get the biopsy.
Last edited by: gibson00: Sep 23, 14 18:54
Quote Reply