Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA for IMTX visitors
Quote | Reply
If you're coming to town for IMTX and thinking about driving the bike course before the race to see it, keep in mind that most of the bike course is on a "cashless" toll road, i.e. there are no toll booths for you to stop at along the way and pay the tolls. So, either be sure to get a rental car with toll tag in it or expect to be hit with an invoice after the fact with fines and penalties. Just though I'd give everyone a heads-up.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for IMTX visitors [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. Stickying this through race day.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
If you're coming to town for IMTX and thinking about driving the bike course before the race to see it, keep in mind that most of the bike course is on a "cashless" toll road, i.e. there are no toll booths for you to stop at along the way and pay the tolls. So, either be sure to get a rental car with toll tag in it or expect to be hit with an invoice after the fact with fines and penalties. Just though I'd give everyone a heads-up.

fines and penalties? where I lived in florida you either had a toll tag or they would snap a picture of your license and send you an invoice. without a toll tag it was slightly more expensive but I wouldn't consider it a penalty. Is this what you're talking about or is it actually a fine and penalty?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for IMTX visitors [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before they converted to a cashless system, if you blew the toll they'd send you an invoice for the toll plus a $20 fine (may have been $25).

I don't know exactly what they are doing now but I seem to recall my daughter (22 yo) getting on another area toll road without a tag within the last few months and having to pay the toll plus a $5 fine. I don't recall if it was a $5 fine for the total trip or $5 per toll missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love on the FB group people are warning that this isn't really a flat course as there are 28+ overpasses. But the max gradient is 2%. No need to check out the toll road, it's pancake flat. Watch the youtube videos of people who already drove the course and try not to fall asleep.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for IMTX visitors [mkng1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember driving the IMSG course in '12 thinking "this ain't so bad". If only there would have been an anemometer mounted on the rental ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Here's more info. Those w rental cars, definitely ask at the counter about toll options.
https://www.hctra.org/MissedAToll

KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for IMTX visitors [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
logella wrote:

fines and penalties? where I lived in florida you either had a toll tag or they would snap a picture of your license and send you an invoice. without a toll tag it was slightly more expensive but I wouldn't consider it a penalty. Is this what you're talking about or is it actually a fine and penalty?

It's just Houston, the rest of Texas does the toll + small processing fee/postage if you drive through one without a tag. Houston keep up this "fee" bullshit on the Beltway, but as logella said they've gotten away from it on the Hardy since they did away with all manned tollbooths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmtXBCZ1K9I

My first time racing texas.... that toll road looks like a cooker in the heat (5:00 mark)
Last edited by: randomtriguy: Apr 13, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for IMTX visitors [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've been fortunate enough to have decent cloud cover during the daytime (a trend that looks like it might hold out for race day), but it will be humid, wickedly so if you're not acclimated to it. Plan on 90-95% humidity around dawn, down to 55-60% during the daytime.
Quote Reply