Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA - Please don't leave home without ID
Quote | Reply
Not looking for sympathy, but after reading the velo article about cardiac health and discussion that followed, I feel like I've got to sum up some thoughts.

2 years ago today my dad passed away while doing a track workout near his house. Paramedics/police were on the scene quickly, but our family still didn't hear anything for hours. If I remember right, they learned who he was by driving around clicking his car key alarm and found ID in the vehicle. He was 49, and a strong triathlete. I can't count the number of IMs and HIMs that he did. He had a check up not long before the workout, but the doc didn't see anything amiss and he didn't think to dig deeper into his cardiac health.

The takeaway is this: You may be able to run and bike and swim all day, and you might also have a clot in your chest. Being fit doesn't make you healthy.

Two things

1. If nothing else, bring ID with contact info when you train, there is no excuse not to. If Road ID isn't aero enough for you, sharpie it on your wrist.

2. Talk about your cardiac health with your doctor. Maybe something comes of it, maybe not. Schedule your training around a cardiac stress test.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [gtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A great tip. And RoadID works REALLY REALLY well. The on-line portion is cheap insurance for yourself and your family. I use the "miscellaneous" section when we are on the road. That way there is an easy explanation when some dude from Reading, PA is found along side the road in running gear on a back road near a campground in East Jabip (sp?).

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
A great tip. And RoadID works REALLY REALLY well. The on-line portion is cheap insurance for yourself and your family. I use the "miscellaneous" section when we are on the road. That way there is an easy explanation when some dude from Reading, PA is found along side the road in running gear on a back road near a campground in East Jabip (sp?).

I put my minimalist wallet and cell phone in a ziplock bag in one of my jersey pockets. Isn't that sufficient?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were a race director, I would work out some way to make sure every registered athlete got a free Road ID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the PSA. If anything, worth it for your family and loved ones

-Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post. I've started wearing my RoadID @ the pool as well. A member of my club (45yo) was swimming at the local Y and had a cerebrovascular hemorrhage in the middle of workout. It was hours before they figured out who she was and were able to notify family.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [sneaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A laser engraved stainless steel dog tag costs $6 and provides all the room needed for identity info and ICE contacts. Really no excuse to not carry something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtyrrell wrote:
Not looking for sympathy, but after reading the velo article about cardiac health and discussion that followed, I feel like I've got to sum up some thoughts.

2 years ago today my dad passed away while doing a track workout near his house. Paramedics/police were on the scene quickly, but our family still didn't hear anything for hours. If I remember right, they learned who he was by driving around clicking his car key alarm and found ID in the vehicle. He was 49, and a strong triathlete. I can't count the number of IMs and HIMs that he did. He had a check up not long before the workout, but the doc didn't see anything amiss and he didn't think to dig deeper into his cardiac health.

The takeaway is this: You may be able to run and bike and swim all day, and you might also have a clot in your chest. Being fit doesn't make you healthy.

Two things

1. If nothing else, bring ID with contact info when you train, there is no excuse not to. If Road ID isn't aero enough for you, sharpie it on your wrist.

2. Talk about your cardiac health with your doctor. Maybe something comes of it, maybe not. Schedule your training around a cardiac stress test.

I was hit by a car two years ago, today. Thankfully had a friend with me and the driver didn't leave the scene so they were able to call 911. But I had a Road ID on as well and am thankful that I had it should the first two options not have been there. Still wear it every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just renewed my interactive Road ID this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First responders also need to be made aware of RoadID's. The local bike group has very good communication with the area first responders and has met with different groups multiple times (although I don't know frequency). Despite that, when my sister was struck by 2 cars earlier this year the paramedics/EMTs at the scene didn't look at her RoadID (on her ankle) and speaking with one of them after the fact he was not aware of what they are. Luckily she was able to say a phone number to a bystander that was assisting. She also had her cell phone on her, but that requires an access code so I'm not sure if that would have been much use.

I always wear my RoadID, usually don't even bother to take it off between workouts. Just thought I would raise the point that it doesn't do any good if the people assisting don't know to look for it.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
First responders also need to be made aware of RoadID's. The local bike group has very good communication with the area first responders and has met with different groups multiple times (although I don't know frequency). Despite that, when my sister was struck by 2 cars earlier this year the paramedics/EMTs at the scene didn't look at her RoadID (on her ankle) and speaking with one of them after the fact he was not aware of what they are. Luckily she was able to say a phone number to a bystander that was assisting. She also had her cell phone on her, but that requires an access code so I'm not sure if that would have been much use.

I always wear my RoadID, usually don't even bother to take it off between workouts. Just thought I would raise the point that it doesn't do any good if the people assisting don't know to look for it.

An excellent point. I would love to see RoadID have an expanded outreach program so more care givers / first responders are aware of their product. Too often they just look like any other charity bracelet, etc.

A great product and I wear mine religiously (never take it off), but people need to know to look for it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct many of them don't know to look, that is our responsibility to educate them. Things that help though: they are used to looking for medical id around your neck or wrist but not your ankle, don't think that is a good spot. They will also look at your phone. Road Id has a free tracker for phones so people can track you if you give them access. It will email or text them if you are stationary for mor then 10 minutes. One of the handy features is it puts your emergency contact info on your scree saver that can be seen without unlocking your phone. If you don't like that app write your emergency contact number on a piece of paper take a picture and use that instead of your kids picture as your screen saver. Bonus people can call that number if you lose your phone.
Last edited by: stodr: Jul 30, 15 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stodr wrote:
Things that help though: they are used to looking for medical id around your neck or wrist but not your ankle, don't think that is a good spot.

I switched from a black ankle band to a yellow wrist version. Also, if the tag with all of the information gets scratched, they will mail you a replacement free. (Not sure what the actual policy is - don't quote me - but their customer service was excellent).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%.

I wear the RoadID "Slim" 24/7. No reason not to have something.

If Livestrong is your favorite charity, buy a RoadID Slim in yellow.
If Breast Cancer awareness is your chosen cause, buy a RoadID in pink.

Whatever color you choose, just buy something.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to pay for the interactive, so I setup a URL on my website, and
loaded details there.

On my Road ID I put basic info, along with the URL (and login)

Free, and I can still update (almost) anytime...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear the dogtag-style Road ID and don't take it off. One less thing for me to think about, and also provides ID when I'm not working out in case I either don't have my wallet or lose it.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of the handy features is it puts your emergency contact info on your scree saver that can be seen without unlocking your phone.

I've been using this feature from their app for ages now. We even require our kids to have it on their phones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtyrrell wrote:
stodr wrote:
Things that help though: they are used to looking for medical id around your neck or wrist but not your ankle, don't think that is a good spot.

I switched from a black ankle band to a yellow wrist version. Also, if the tag with all of the information gets scratched, they will mail you a replacement free. (Not sure what the actual policy is - don't quote me - but their customer service was excellent).

When first getting Road ID, I did some research online and found a number of first responder types that echoed this sentiment; wrist or neck. Had an accident in December where I was conscious but having a hard time talking (collapsed lung). The EMS folks were thrilled when they saw my Road ID :) And the folks I was riding with were also able to get my wife's name and number right off the ID. I don't think I'd be really keen on anything requiring/expecting people to go look something up online in order to get the info; just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Please don't leave home without ID [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it can easily be knocked off you in an accident. Happened to a friend of mine. His family had to go look for his keys & wallet around the area where he was hit by a car. (Grassy field)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is always difficult especially under those circumstances.

We witnessed a similar situation a few years ago when the father of one of my son's friends died while jogging and was found in a roadside ditch hours later. Ironically, his cardiologist had just advised him start getting more exercise.

I've worn a Medic-Alert ID bracelet 24/7 since my open heart surgery 15 years ago. I also wear a Road ID bracelet when I run or ride, taking a belt & suspenders approach.

In addition, I always tell my spouse where I'm headed and when I expect to get back. If I deviate from my plan on a ride, I'll call home and let her know that I'm going to ride another 10 miles, or whatever.

Note: Because of my cardiac history (aortic valve replacement) and my annual visits to my cardiologist, I know more about my cardiac health than most folks. I'm always encouraging my "healthy" friends to get regular checkups, especially in their 50's and older. Just because you feel fine and don't have any symptoms it doesn't mean you might not have some latent, un-diagnosed issue.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry an ID, a $20, a credit card, and health insurance card, along with a phone, in a zip lock bag.

As for RoadID etc.... not necessary. You know when you renew USAT membership they send you two cards? One CC sized for wallet, one little one that looks like it might go on a keychain? I took that little one and put it on a dog-tag chain and wear that around my neck. I just added an emergency phone number to it with a label maker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
First responders also need to be made aware of RoadID's.

I'll second this, after crashing in a race last weekend. Between first responders (athletes), police, EMT and the hospital, not a single person grabbed my wrist to view my Road ID and get all the critical info they asked for over and over and over - name, age, allergies, pre-existing conditions. Fortunately I was coherent and able to respond, but sheesh it was annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can not do any of the team Toledo open water swims without road ID on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good reminder.

Budget alternative to Road ID are some sellers on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/...amp;ref=sr_gallery_2

https://www.etsy.com/...52d9561ab6:191464018

https://www.etsy.com/...09b66835a8:271589853

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtyrrell wrote:

Two things

I agree with # 2 - 100% do it, you never know, do it every year! It might save your life.

Road ID... it might have negative outcome, especially if your close ones have tendency to panic and overreact. The only thing I would put on my Road ID is: "Don't Give up."

Placing my wife's name and the phone number on it, hell NO! What for?

So she can get super upset and cause car accident while racing to the hospital where she can't help me anyway? I will call her once the doctors will finish with me, and I'm out of coma...

Here is my version of Road ID, very usefull, people tend to desperately fix your bike when you crash, like it is TdF and you need to jump on the bike with broken collar bone and finish the stage, f@# no, leave me and my bike alone, call 911

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHFkHmjKYg

Last edited by: sebo2000: Sep 25, 17 9:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next