Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
I read a review that weighed the bont zero + as 502 g for the pair. Seems too heavy. Maybe weighed with cleats?

That is likely the stated weight of the shoe. 250g is actually fairly light for a shoe. It wasn't long ago that the Specialized S-works Road Shoe was above 260 grams. It has since been slimmed down. Given the wide profile of the Bont shoe, plus dials, cover etc I can't see this shoe getting any lighter than 225 grams. Before the SLX came out the lightest shoe I was aware of was the Pearl Izumi Octane at 195 grams

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I can remember, I will bring the size 45 bont to work tomorrow where we have some decent digital scales. I will only be able to measure the one shoe accurately as there is a small chuck missing out of the heel plastic piece on the other.

*Admission* after seeing that the performance return policy requires shoes to be new, I have worn the empires for a few days and am getting to like them more. Still have a running ebay search for size 46 bonts though. My gf is ribbing me about my recent obsession with shoes. She likens it to a character's preoccupation on "sex in the city."
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
If I can remember, I will bring the size 45 bont to work tomorrow where we have some decent digital scales. I will only be able to measure the one shoe accurately as there is a small chuck missing out of the heel plastic piece on the other.

*Admission* after seeing that the performance return policy requires shoes to be new, I have worn the empires for a few days and am getting to like them more. Still have a running ebay search for size 46 bonts though. My gf is ribbing me about my recent obsession with shoes. She likens it to a character's preoccupation on "sex in the city."

No worries on the obsession, as many know I am working on my own custom shoe project with Rocket7. The goal is to get an even more comfortable pair of shoes (custom), that is light, and possibly even more aerodynamic. I was less than thrilled about the cost, but having a few people rave about custom fit over their years I figured I better check it out. It still makes me slightly sick to my stomach thinking about how much they cost but on the flip side I also see how many hours Rocket7 is putting in them as well and I know that the reality of something that is individual and not mass produced is expensive.

The way my Giros are setup they are actually sub 160grams for 42.5

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at picking up a pair of the SLX and currently am in the PI Tri Fly Carbon size 47. Am I going to be the same size in the Giro SLX?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TG, I was afraid of that. I hate having flippers for feet sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
robabeatle wrote:

No worries on the obsession, as many know I am working on my own custom shoe project with Rocket7. The goal is to get an even more comfortable pair of shoes (custom), that is light, and possibly even more aerodynamic. I was less than thrilled about the cost, but having a few people rave about custom fit over their years I figured I better check it out. It still makes me slightly sick to my stomach thinking about how much they cost but on the flip side I also see how many hours Rocket7 is putting in them as well and I know that the reality of something that is individual and not mass produced is expensive.

The way my Giros are setup they are actually sub 160grams for 42.5

Size 42.5 Bont, wide size, right shoe only, no insole (use custom, took it out), speedplay walkable cleat = 276g (it is also a bit dirty, so take off a few gs)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My left Bont zero + size 45 is coming in at 269.3 grams.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
Size 42.5 Bont, wide size, right shoe only, no insole (use custom, took it out), speedplay walkable cleat = 276g (it is also a bit dirty, so take off a few gs)

Now I have to weigh the walkable cleatsn ;) Seems to be quite a bit lighter shoe than the poster below albeit for a shoe that is 2.5 sizes smaller. Not sure how much the insole weighs but can't be more than 15-20grams and I presume your insole weighs something as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, sorry! racing soon and don't want to mess with cleats that work..

My custom insoles are a bit heavy, but i agree a normal insole should be in that range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think anyone that's been following the Giro SLX threads will appreciate pro rider Adam Hansen's custom cycling shoes.

Awesome IMO.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are incredible...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, with custom insoles the weight of the Bont, size 42.5, wide, speedplay aero walkable cleats, is 333g

The Giro, in size 43, walkable cleats and same custom insoles, is 300g.

Yes, the weight of the insoles makes me a little sad..
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White shoes are never fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the new Giro Men's Sentrie Techlace Cycling Shoe? Does the dial closure negate any aero benefits?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Bscheel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

White shoes only! :)

My new Giro Empire SLX - used only for road riding! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

White shoes only! :)

My new Giro Empire SLX - used only for road riding! :)

Pretty sweet looking shoes, i guess as a triathlete all my white ones turn brown the second theres a beach at T1 haha
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Bscheel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sweet looking shoes, i guess as a triathlete all my white ones turn brown the second theres a beach at T1 haha

Giro has thought out well the surface material and texture of these shoes. They shed a remarkable amount of dirt and grime and come clean with a wipe of a damp cloth and a bit of soap after a wet ride.

Also because, there are now straps, rachets etc, for micro dirt/grit to collect in, the whole of the upper retains a clean look. The orginal white laces do get soiled easily and that's why I go with the black laces (which they come with when new anyway)! :)

My previous Empire ACC, also white - now my back-up shoes - are 3 years old and still look almost new!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas,

Were Jesse Thomas and Michi Weiss using some derivation of your modified Empire SLX yesterday?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Thomas,

Were Jesse Thomas and Michi Weiss using some derivation of your modified Empire SLX yesterday?

Jesse Thomas has rocked the SLX's before but yesterday and I believe Augusta and 70.3 worlds as well, he wore the prolight techlace.

http://www.giro.com/...olight-techlace.html

Not trying to take anything away from TG..... his concept/idea still applies here.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 15, 17 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Thomas,

There are a few pros using them or some derivative. Antoney Costes and Matt Russell are two others. I have seen Thomas rock the Giro Empire SLX but it looks like he choose the Prolight for this one. Here is a pic on Tririg. The Prolight look like they are much more breathable than the Empire SLX which would be a plus for Kona. I assume he may have detached the velcro strips from the shoe but I can't really tell from the photo. It appears he is using Inmaker laces or something similar.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
How about the new Giro Men's Sentrie Techlace Cycling Shoe? Does the dial closure negate any aero benefits?

I'm pretty sure it would, but I just ordered up some shoes that have identical outsoles: one with laces the other with a single BOA closure plus a single strap. I'll aero test them in the next few weeks and see what I come up with.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Poon wrote:
Thomas,

There are a few pros using them or some derivative. Antoney Costes and Matt Russell are two others. I have seen Thomas rock the Giro Empire SLX but it looks like he choose the Prolight for this one. Here is a pic on Tririg. The Prolight look like they are much more breathable than the Empire SLX which would be a plus for Kona. I assume he may have detached the velcro strips from the shoe but I can't really tell from the photo. It appears he is using Inmaker laces or something similar.

I can't link it right now but they are on the Tririg post on his bike...good pics.

ETA: http://www.tririg.com/..._Marquise&num=29

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Oct 16, 17 20:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TG, first thanks for your blog post on these a while back. Got myself a pair, surgically removed the tongue, added some elastic laces, and I love them. No problem at all with flying mounts.

But now that I've dropped this $$ and effort in shoes... my pedals are bugging me. I've heard you mention pedal testing.. I'm riding with Powertap P1s right now as my power source. Heavy and clunky. Definite fail the "does it look fast" test.

Have you tried these shoes with speedplays or other pedals? I'm thinking about making the switch but I'm having trouble discerning if I'm actually giving up time akin to big straps with my pedals or if I'm going of the aero-deep-end (even farther).

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Oct 16, 17 20:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next