Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got them when they were $949 with free 2 day shipping. I didn't go through activejunky, but the gearhead I had on backcountry gave me 10% store credit. I'd rather take the 15% off now with activejunky's cash back than the free shipping I got.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. One last question......Are you aware of any issues with these wheels fitting a 2010 Cervelo P2 with ultegra brake calipers?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
They also increased the shipping cost if you use the coupon as well if you didn't notice.

I noticed it changed from $29 to $39 when I was checking out with the coupon, but also noticed it switched to Standard shipping ($39) instead of the Economy ($29), so just clicked Economy and it went back to $29. I ordered the Campy and total was $695 with shipping using the 15% off code. (Received $20 Ebates, so total was right at $675.) Seems like a smokin' deal to me. This will be my first set of wide rims and came on here to see some reviews and just saw this thread. Looks like a good set of wheels for the price. :)
Last edited by: JRTX: Aug 11, 17 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Compared to an 808 though ?

I would guess that most of the recent 808s (FC and later) are better in a cross wind than a TriSpoke. Zipp designs for this whereas the TriSpoke designers probably never thought about it. My understanding is the spoke profile has not changed since the original design in the early 90s
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I guess my question though is what is faster ?

From HED website:
"The H3 has propelled more Grand Tour riders to the podium than any other wheel. Why? The H3 is the ultimate in all wind conditions. Whether it is a headwind, crosswind, or tailwind, the H3 is fast. Other wheels (even our own) are certainly speedy, but they have a specific wind range in which they excel. The H3 offers speed no matter where the wind is, with a very consistent drag curve as yaw increases. The pros know this, and many count on it as their no-compromise TT wheel choice.

The H3 is available in either full carbon tubular, or a clincher version with alloy braking surface. Both feature the same blade shape and 55mm deep rim section. The narrow rim profile means that the H3 works in even the narrowest TT frames. It’s also the perfect wheel for frequent travelers, with no metal spokes to crush, and a very slim and bike-box-friendly shape."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The H3 is older and works best with very narrow tires, the H3+ is new and designed with wider tires in mind.

With the being said the Jet 6+ is so versatile. It is about 200 grams lighter too. Training, crits, road races, time trailing, triathlon, windy, no wind. Just easy and simple

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My H3+ tri-spoke handles worse in wind than my Jet+ 9

What tire do you run on your H3+?

From my experience as I went to a narrower tire, the handling improved. I'm currently a 20mm SS on my H3+, and this so far has been the best setup on this wheel for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
The H3 is older and works best with very narrow tires, the H3+ is new and designed with wider tires in mind.

With the being said the Jet 6+ is so versatile. It is about 200 grams lighter too. Training, crits, road races, time trailing, triathlon, windy, no wind. Just easy and simple

The H3+ was designed around a Conti 22mm Attack tire. While this is wider than a 19mm tire, especially considering it will measure around 25mm on the H3+, I wouldn't go any larger than a 23mm tire on the rim due to how wide the rim is internally. My current tire of choice is the 20mm SS which measures around 24mm at 80psi.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
Quote:
My H3+ tri-spoke handles worse in wind than my Jet+ 9

What tire do you run on your H3+?

From my experience as I went to a narrower tire, the handling improved. I'm currently a 20mm SS on my H3+, and this so far has been the best setup on this wheel for me.
I've been running the (new) SS 20mm, but I might have had an 22mm Attack on it the one time I rode in bad weather (can't remember for sure).

Don't get me wrong, I like the wheel, I just don't think cross-wind stability is a reason to buy one. I use it for low-yaw situations, and if it's really windy I run my Jet+.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

The H3+ was designed around a Conti 22mm Attack tire. While this is wider than a 19mm tire, especially considering it will measure around 25mm on the H3+, I wouldn't go any larger than a 23mm tire on the rim due to how wide the rim is internally. My current tire of choice is the 20mm SS which measures around 24mm at 80psi.

Are you racing the 20mm at 80psi. If I may ask, what is your weight? Any issues? I run my HED very low but for wider tires than 20mm

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I race them at 80psi. Weigh 140lbs. I haven't had any issues so far with that tire on that rim. You can see a picture of that tire on the H3+ here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Interesting. I guess my question though is what is faster ?

From HED website:
"The H3 has propelled more Grand Tour riders to the podium than any other wheel. Why? The H3 is the ultimate in all wind conditions. Whether it is a headwind, crosswind, or tailwind, the H3 is fast. Other wheels (even our own) are certainly speedy, but they have a specific wind range in which they excel. The H3 offers speed no matter where the wind is, with a very consistent drag curve as yaw increases. The pros know this, and many count on it as their no-compromise TT wheel choice.

The H3 is available in either full carbon tubular, or a clincher version with alloy braking surface. Both feature the same blade shape and 55mm deep rim section. The narrow rim profile means that the H3 works in even the narrowest TT frames. It’s also the perfect wheel for frequent travelers, with no metal spokes to crush, and a very slim and bike-box-friendly shape."

My guess is that in low yaw applications the old H3 and H3D are fastest IF you can find the right tire. The new SS 20 is a mm or two wider than the second gen SS 20 and the first Gen SS seems to have a somewhat higher Crr.

The possible advantage of the TriSpoke is in a savings of watts-to-spin over a spoked wheel. There is some limited data out there for this component of drag, but people have used different methods and some of it is proprietary, though I think you can purchase data from BikeTechReview. Aeroweenie has a summary of the one published study I am aware of, I am a bit scepital of that study because the numbers seem awfully high at a savings of 10 watts, though I got Chris Yu to sort say that the study's estimate of 10 watts to spin for a disc was about what they found. The final thing to consider is fork/wheel interactions. Zipp did some testing and claimed that the preassure pulse from the wide spoke passing through the fork caused more drag that isn't accounted for in most wind tunnel testing. Bikes with wide fork legs like the SC and Pinarello are supposed to be better according to urban legend. Another issue is frame/brake choice. I will continue to use the old narrow H3 on my nosecone Shiv because that frame was never designed for wide rims. Any rim wider than 20mm forces the brake arms to hang out in the wind, which increases frontal area and ruins the airfoil shape of the nosecone.

These are a list of issues to consider and opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. I kinda look at what the ProTour guys are doing. I figure they have the time and resources to figure out what is really the fastest. Lots of teams put their GC guys on Trispokes even when they have other wheel sponsors. I am bike shopping for next year and you will probably see me on an SC with a H3+/Corsa TLR or Conti SS.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the solid info. I'll take your narrow H3 off your hands if you want after you upgrade. I'm on a 2015 BMC TM01 and running 808 up front and old SS 23mm until I run out. Would like to experiment with the trispoke. Plus I think it looks badass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 99% sure you can do this, but wanted to verify. I know the wheelset is 11speed hub, I'm currently running 10s on my road bike and wanted to get them for that. I can use these by just adding a spacer to the hub, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheel set comes with spacers for use with a 10 speed cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect! Thanks for letting me know.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
I'm 99% sure you can do this, but wanted to verify. I know the wheelset is 11speed hub, I'm currently running 10s on my road bike and wanted to get them for that. I can use these by just adding a spacer to the hub, correct?

I neglected to mention that. It also comes with real rim tape instead of a rim strip. This is needed for both tubeless but also my preferred method to use with latex tubes if you go that route. Skewer and the spacers as well. Not sure about an additional set of brake pads. Can't remember them being in there when I got my HED JET 6+

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and the Jet 6+ fits on 2017 Speed Concepts, I assume.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
...and the Jet 6+ fits on 2017 Speed Concepts, I assume.

I would assume so, I have a 2014 Speed Concept (first year 2nd gen) and they work beautifully. They are actually a heck of lot narrower than Roval CLX 64 and those still work as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAMN IT-

Put a set in my cart at work yesterday, got sidetracked, went back today to buy them and now sold out...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are up again. I was in the same boat. I ordered from backcountry because i got 7% back with activejunky. They showed they had 5 sets left when I ordered around noon. They are showing 4 sets left now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
They are up again. I was in the same boat. I ordered from backcountry because i got 7% back with activejunky. They showed they had 5 sets left when I ordered around noon. They are showing 4 sets left now.

Thanks...ordered thru http://www.biketiresdirect.com with their price match and after seeing your post I called them to make sure they would honor their price match, was surprised that they balked and said they couldn't match it-kinda bullshit and will rethink ordering anything from them again...that being said, I ordered via Competitive Cyclist, thansk again for letting us know it was back up!

John Potter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess I snoozed and lost on this one. Only showing Campy left. Maybe next year.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next