Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver
Quote | Reply
http://www.newson6.com/story/29673795/man-bicycling-across-america-killed-in-oklahoma-wreck

Terrible. Could have happened to anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [G-Castle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, it's an acceptable death, she was busy on her phone and apparently the cyclists were blocking her ability to swerve all over the road. Apparently in OK everyone has the right to swerve all over the road and kill people if they need to take care of a text while driving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad!
I started cycling last year, and I have to admit, I am a little scared of the road lately! 5 of my cycling friends have been in serious accidents this year :(
Two crashed into each other, one hit a dog, and the other two were hit by cars. Maybe cycling isn't that good for me after all!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Hey, it's an acceptable death, she was busy on her phone and apparently the cyclists were blocking her ability to swerve all over the road. Apparently in OK everyone has the right to swerve all over the road and kill people if they need to take care of a text while driving.

Probably something really important too like a text with a selfie from her BFF.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fack! Stupid distracted driver, argh! She better get some punishment for that.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Apparently in OK everyone has the right to swerve all over the road and kill people if they need to take care of a text while driving.

Sadly, not far from the truth... I live in NW Oklahoma and between the oilfield trucks, elderly folks on a nursing home day pass, and soccer moms updating facebook, you're taking your life in your hands on every ride.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [CZS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the cyclist in a dedicated bike lane?

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisuppo wrote:

Based on the information provided as to where the accident happened, it appears to have been two lane highway. This would essentially be out in the middle of nowhere...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisuppo wrote:

In Oklahoma? I doubt there was a dedicated bike lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-Castle wrote:
Terrible. Could have happened to anyone.

True.

I've been hit from behind by car drivers twice already. (Yes, I'm a lucky one... in a sense...) Broad daylight both times, and in neither case was the driver drunk, texting, or on the phone. Be careful out there -- on the bike and behind the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedNeeder wrote:
Very sad!
I started cycling last year, and I have to admit, I am a little scared of the road lately! 5 of my cycling friends have been in serious accidents this year :(
Two crashed into each other, one hit a dog, and the other two were hit by cars. Maybe cycling isn't that good for me after all!

Drivers don't care, and the law doesn't punish. Not. At. All.

Until the legal and cultural climate changes, you may want to use a dedicated bike path as much as possible. Or buy a MTB.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Another Cyclist Killed By Distracted Driver [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful out there -- on the bike and behind the wheel.

Yup, it does go both ways where cyclists also have to be aware of their surroundings and ride smart (not saying that wasn't the case in the link for the original story). I was just out for a run during lunch earlier today and saw a guy out riding on the other side of the road who decided it would be a good idea to stand up and take a selfie, trying to stabilize the bike with his knees on the top tube. Guy wobbled a bit and started to drift into traffic, car coming up behind him honked the horn and he almost dumped the bike trying to quickly get back down.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply