Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $807.46 via CompetiveCyclist
Quote | Reply
CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

Edit price has dropped even lower to $807.46 with Competitive Cyclist 15% off coupon CC15OFF100 - expires 8/22 if you want the Shimano/Sram version. Campy was even better but sold out now on 8/9 with 3 week . Price was $666.38. You can backorder but can't use the coupon with backorders.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 11, 17 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are actually cheaper on Steep and Cheap since they are running a $40 off $200 deal today.

I always find it interesting how much the price fluctuates between competitive cyclist, backcountry, and steep and cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bearlyfinish wrote:
They are actually cheaper on Steep and Cheap since they are running a $40 off $200 deal today.

I always find it interesting how much the price fluctuates between competitive cyclist, backcountry, and steep and cheap.

They are all the same company. Shipping via Steep and Cheap was $6 more expensive than CC until I added the coupon, then the price jumped by another $15. Not liking the fact that if I add a coupon the price of shipping jumps... Even though the are all owned by the same company, CC has the much better return policy. You can actually return used gear if you don't end up liking it for store credit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jul 18, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Backcountry is actually the cheapest if you use the cash back site activejunky. They have 9% off at backcountry vs. 4% at steepandcheap. Plus I think you have to pay for shipping at steepandcheap.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I've been using ebates and it looks like activejunky gives you more back on all the sites I use for most of my hobbies.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the difference between the 6 Plus and 5 Plus set? I had never seen a 'plus' version of the 5. Is it really the same rim width and tubeless compatibility with a marginally more shallow rim fairing? If so, the Powertap 5 Plus for $200 more is also pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
What the difference between the 6 Plus and 5 Plus set? I had never seen a 'plus' version of the 5. Is it really the same rim width and tubeless compatibility with a marginally more shallow rim fairing? If so, the Powertap 5 Plus for $200 more is also pretty amazing.

The 5 Plus is fairly new. Both are same width (25mm wide rims) but the difference is a "5" is a 54mm depth and the "6" is a 60mm depth. Also the "6" you can get in Stallion build but "5" you couldn't (at least previously you couldn't with it was still a 23mm C2 version...not sure about now.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jul 14, 17 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
dangle wrote:

The 5 Plus is fairly new. Both are same width (25mm wide rims) but the difference is a "5" is a 54mm depth and the "6" is a 60mm depth. Also the "6" you can get in Stallion build but "5" you couldn't (at least previously you couldn't with it was still a 23mm C2 version...not sure about now.

Thanks. It seems odd that it's 'fairly new' in the old color scheme and non-turbine track. I figured it was maybe a one-off project that they did for some retailers. I'm enjoying my Swiss Side Hadrons for tri/tt, but would like better tubeless compatibility and shallower wheels for my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
dangle wrote:

Yeah I am not sure about the 5+. They haven't been listed on HED's own website in forever. Regardless if you need power and want HED it is not a bad way to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the HED wheelset with PowerTap compare to say a pair of Reynolds Strike? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
How does the HED wheelset with PowerTap compare to say a pair of Reynolds Strike? Just curious.

I have a link to a comparison of some of the benefits I that exist going with HED in my signature. I guess I will flip it around, can someone provide benefits to the Strikes over the HED Jet+. There are really no benefits, only drawbacks.

In short HED is as light with better braking via aluminum, less concern of brake track failure, less risk of using latex tubes due to heat build up of carbon, wider rim bed offering lower pressures which lead to better handling wheel that is more comfortable. Superior aerodynamic design. Reliability of HED and their engineering focus as a wheel first company. At $950 that is tough to beat. Looking at Flo they end up being nearly a full lb lighter.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

That's a phenomenal deal. Get a set of those and a wheel cover and you're set.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. Now I have to make a decision.

Do I transfer my existing PowerTap into the Hed 6 or buy the Hed Jet 5+ with PowerTap?
If I transfer the PowerTap - then I have have to lace up the Reynolds Strike with a hub, which would cost additional monies.

Really would like the Hed 6's, not sure why, lol

Where would one get a cover for the Hed wheels? From Hed or another company?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:

Do I transfer my existing PowerTap into the Hed 6 or buy the Hed Jet 5+ with PowerTap?
If I transfer the PowerTap - then I have have to lace up the Reynolds Strike with a hub, which would cost additional monies.

Sell your PowerTap and buy the HEDs. I very strongly discourage trying to lace a PowerTap into a set of Jets.

The holes in the fairing of the Jet is drilled for the HED hub. The spokes may not enter correctly with a different hub.

Best case scenario: it will be a pain in the ass to lace, carefully aligning the spokes through the Jet fairing.

Worst case: The holes don't line up and the spokes tear through the fairing.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CompetiveCyclist is doing their usual seasonal discounting of their HED JET 6+ wheelset. Currently at $949 today. Really can't beat that price for wheels that are available NOW, not 8-10 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up, I see for $150 more (same site) I could get the reynolds 72/90 Aero set. Wouldn't those wheels be faster in an Ironman?
Last edited by: CP78: Jul 14, 17 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:

It is almost never a good financial decision to move over a PowerTap from wheel to another. You can get a disc cover from Wheelbuilder

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas! Can you expand as to why? Assuming because one has to lace it up which requires new spokes, etc, etc. Might be time to abandon a PowerTap hub and move to their pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You likely have a BackCountry/CC account rep assigned to you, even if they haven't reached out directly. If you don't know who it is, call them and ask. If they've emailed you, I would recommend emailing them before making any purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I see for $150 more (same site) I could get the reynolds 72/90 Aero set. Wouldn't those wheels be faster in an Ironman?

I've been getting more into practical application of gains versus theoretical. It is impossible to say for each individual what is the best setup without knowing way too many parameters including conditions on race day that you really have no idea about.

The HED JET 6+ is arguably up there with the best wheels aerodynamically based on independent wind tunnel data. Unfortunately we don't get to see a lot of Reynolds data but I would suspect the differences are very small. The practical application part comes in with things like braking. Learning to brake later in a corner, and aluminum is a better material to do that with than carbon, and that can save you time but nobody ever talks about. So can being more confident on a wheel for that matter and lower tire pressues of a 21mm internal versus 16mm could result in less vibration to the body and thus better running over the marathon.

When it comes down to it. If I coached athletes and they came to me and side I can purchase this or that. I would definitely recommend the JET 6+. I don't think they are going to be an slower, I actually think they will be faster, run better, be less stressed, and won't have to worry about swapping out the braking pads before the race.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
You likely have a BackCountry/CC account rep assigned to you, even if they haven't reached out directly. If you don't know who it is, call them and ask. If they've emailed you, I would recommend emailing them before making any purchase.

I already have a set of HED JET+ plus a Disc as well. Definitely don't need anymore wheels at this point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
Thanks Thomas! Can you expand as to why? Assuming because one has to lace it up which requires new spokes, etc, etc. Might be time to abandon a PowerTap hub and move to their pedals.

It is expensive and/or time consuming to build wheels if you have done it before. You are basically taking two perfectly good wheels that were built with TLC and bringing them back to bare rims. You would need new spokes, and then rebuild. There is just no way you are coming out ahead in the scenario financially or time wise. The only time it might make sense to take out a PT is if the rim is damaged and you had another rim to build it on to. Tearing down a perfectly good rim/wheel is usually always money-sucking endeavor.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:

You're assigned rep can be useful. Mine has provided discounts on things when a coupon didn't apply, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed mine today. I mentioned that his sale price wasn't as good as BikeTiresDirect. He didn't just match it, he beat it by a bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only problem i've had with those wheels is that it is extremely tough to mount tires or change out a flat

“I’m not going to stop yelling because that would mean, I lost the fight!” Kenny Powers
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: HED JET 6+ Wheelset - $949 via CompetiveCyclist [runsliketurtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runsliketurtle wrote:
only problem i've had with those wheels is that it is extremely tough to mount tires or change out a flat

Every mention of these wheels you get this kind of post.

Have you ever watched the video on how to mount tires on these wheels put out by Hed?

I have 2 pairs of these and if you follow the instructions keeping the bead in the center channel of the rim tires can be mounted with your fingers, no tools needed.

You just have to watch the video.

These are great wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next