Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

POC aero Helmets
Quote | Reply
Hi
Anyone using a POC Cerebal race day helmet?
Thoughts please
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was getting curious about these as well.

Free bump to get a response (maybe).

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with all helmets, it depends highly on your head and back position.

I will say this: the Cerebel is definitely one of the top-performing helmets. When it works, it works extremely well.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
I will say this: the Cerebel is definitely one of the top-performing helmets. When it works, it works extremely well.
Hey Andy- What do you think are the current best couple of all-around aero-road helmets? I realize it varies a lot across people, so just looking for a general rec at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
AndyF wrote:

Hey Andy- What do you think are the current best couple of all-around aero-road helmets? I realize it varies a lot across people, so just looking for a general rec at this point.

Or the translated version:

"I realize that it is an extremely subjective and highly variable response but can you give me some vague input on what generally tests well in the aero road marketplace?"

Aero road helmets from what I've tested:

Kask Infinity (best)
Specialized Evade (decent)
Giro Air Attack (terrible)

This was before the Synthe and Protone came out.
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote lanierb
Hey Andy- What do you think are the current best couple of all-around aero-road helmets? I realize it varies a lot across people, so just looking for a general rec at this point.[/quote]
Hi Lanier -- the Evade is pretty fast. If you consider the Cerebel as an aero-road helmet, then I'd throw that in, too.

You know, part of the individual variation -- and we don't talk about this much -- is the individuality of hair and how it obstructs the flow on the *inside* of each helmet. Very big hair affects the performance of helmets that are designed with inlet and outlet vents.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
You know, part of the individual variation -- and we don't talk about this much -- is the individuality of hair and how it obstructs the flow on the *inside* of each helmet. Very big hair affects the performance of helmets that are designed with inlet and outlet vents.

I will sacrifice a few watts to keep the great mental powers of my man bun. :)

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
Thanks Andy! You learn something new every day! So now we have to get the "win" tunnel to test shaving your head???
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All mayor helmet manufacturers design their products only for shaved heads, as everybody knows that this is the fastest.

doublea334 wrote:
AndyF wrote:

I will sacrifice a few watts to keep the great mental powers of my man bun. :)
Last edited by: windschatten: Jun 19, 15 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at those as well and wondering how good the ventilation is. I don't see any openings for air to flow through in the photos. Any idea?

thanks.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
All mayor helmet manufacturers design their products only for shaved heads, as everybody knows that this is the fastest.

This is kinda true, since they all test with bald dummies. When Giro asked for questions I asked about putting hair on the dummy or is it just not good for repeatable data. They responded that they have tried to put some hair on the dummies, but it did lead to repeatability issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested in the POC Cerebel but the lack of vents kind of scares me. I live in Houston where it's really hot and humid. Been using the Kask Bambino the last couple of years. Anyone with any hot riding experience with the POC?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one and will let you all know about the venting as soon as it shows up. It's pretty hot and humid here in OK right now so if the venting is terrible, then I'll know in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So as a densely-haired individual, I should be looking at the options with the least vents and inner channels, since I'll only clog them?

The Cerebel looks lovely, and similar to the Javelin which worked very well for me for the last few years. Wonder if I can sneak my sunglasses in between those earflaps - they look tight.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:
I just ordered one and will let you all know about the venting as soon as it shows up. It's pretty hot and humid here in OK right now so if the venting is terrible, then I'll know in a hurry.

The Trisports 4th of July sale ends in a couple of days so I need to pull the trigger now.

Anyway you can get it overnighted, ride with it, and give me a full review by Saturday? ;-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the POC Cerebel (2) weeks ago at 70.3 Mont Tremblant and the weather forecast was rain, so I was thinking of not using the visor and just use sunglasses, but opted for the visor. No issues regarding comfort in using the sunglasses, instead of the visor. I won't be able to sneak my sunglass with the visor on, just to answer one of the questions that came up.

Fit - Since this is my first aero helmet, in took some time in getting used to the different fit between an aero and a road helmet, but got used to it after 2 rides. Putting it on and off for the first time also needs some maneuvering, but it went easy after a few times. I had an easy time putting it on and off during the race. It is comfortable wearing it.

Visor- The visor is pretty secure during the on and off process, as well as, during the ride. It is secured enough that I don't even think that it will fall off during the ride. It is held by at least 4 or 5 magnets contact points, but I need to verify it when I get home. It started to rain a little bit, but stopped along route 117 and also the weather started to warm up towards the last part of the ride, but did not experience any fogging on the visor. I also thought that my sweat will accumulate and smudge the visor and affect my visibility, but did not. I have enough clearance between my face and the visor that my sweat just flows through down my face or drips between the visor and my face.

Comfort - There are holes on the top portion of the visor that let the air flow from the front hole of the visor to the rear hole of the helmet and feeling the air flow breeze through my bald head feels great. Moving my head position looking down affects the air flow inside the helmet. Overall, temperature inside the helmet did not feel uncomfortable. I can't remember the weather temperature at that day, but it really got hot and I have to put ice in my suit and rub it on my head and neck to cool off during the run.

Straps- Once you have the straps setup, loosening or tightening it up is easy, while you have the helmet on and buckle engaged. Just pull the end of the straps to tighten it up and can't remember how I loosen it up during one of my ride. I will need to do it again.

BTW, I got the Nickel Blue and it is in matte. That is the only color available when I ordered it. Taking off the race number sticker was also easy and did not leave any mark.
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [Tarochi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tarochi wrote:
I've used the POC Cerebel (2) weeks ago at 70.3 Mont Tremblant and the weather forecast was rain, so I was thinking of not using the visor and just use sunglasses, but opted for the visor. No issues regarding comfort in using the sunglasses, instead of the visor. I won't be able to sneak my sunglass with the visor on, just to answer one of the questions that came up.

Hmm. Interesting then. I'd rather be able to use both visor and glasses simultaneously (a la my Javelin), but if at least the sunglasses fit in there that's also not half bad.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: POC aero Helmets [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it again with sunglasses under the visor and it fit and will work. My preference is still use either just the sunglass or just the visor. BTW, it comes with 2 visors, one for no sun and one for sunny days. Also verified that the visor is being held up by 4 magnet contact points.
Quote Reply