Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PAC NW Spring Time Trials
Quote | Reply
well it's that time of year again where we get back on our road bikes and cross bikes and grind away in the garage on the trainer and do the spring road races that allow us to crush triathlete dreams in the summer.

I see one TT on the calendar for Washington.... any others out there for Oregon or Idaho?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen the 2014 calendar myself yet, but Jack Frost is usually the season-opening TT for OR (even though technically it's across the river from PDX in Vancouver, WA) in late Feb. Or is that the one you're already referring to? (I think of it as an OR event since it's put on by a Beaverton-based club and sanctioned by OBRA.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack Frost TT near Portland is an annual favorite. Know that one?

Quote | Reply
no, I was referring to the WSBA Ice Breaker TT. I'm seeing the OBRA website now, and there's a few more TTs, the Jack Frost for one.

There's another interesting one, the Deschutes Valley TT Stage Race where you do a 25mi TT, a 8mi hill climb TT, and then a 50mi TT. Sounds fun.

OBRA:

WSBA:

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, seeing that now.

any experience with the TT at Portland International Raceway?

TriSliceRS wrote:
Jack Frost TT near Portland is an annual favorite. Know that one?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Therapeutic Associates PDX Cycling TT @ PIR"?? That's a new one to me... but then, I haven't done much bike racing, except on the 'cross bike. I have friends who do more on road/TT...

Quote | Reply
Hopefully they will bring the Frostbite TT in Carnation back again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ORBRA pretty much runs Oregon. They post their calendar on line. They have a bunch of smaller TTs scattered thru the year. MBRA is the Montana connection. Not too sure what Idaho does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SE Washington, about 45 minutes south of Pullman or 20 minutes west of Clarkston: Saturday March 1st - Snake River Half marathon, Sunday the 2nd - 20kTT (same out and back course) followed by a Hill climb.
Last year, there was a $100 prize for lowest HM+20k TT time. The winner ran about 1:25 and biked 32 minutes. There is always wind in that canyon. Last spring, the HM started into a moderate headwind, but that meant everyone negative split coming back. The following day, the wind picked up, but switched directions. I averaged 26mph on the out and 16 on the back.

They have not announced the TT yet, but the HM goes up December 1st and will sell out before christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could throw in a few runs and do the Spring Classic Duathlon March 30! I've been wanting to do the Deschutes River Valley TT event for years. This may be the year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFreaks have got something in the works. Some initial details below and I'll post some more details when it is finalized online.

60 Acres Park
Every-other Wednesday evening starting in February (~7pm)
1 or 2 distances (15-25km, and possibly a shorter one)
$15/night (timing, controlled corners, hot soup/chilly post racing, series prizes)
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Nov 21, 13 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I did that one or the other one last winter. 20km and fun.

PeteDin206 wrote:
Hopefully they will bring the Frostbite TT in Carnation back again this year.

Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, let me know!

JTolandTRI wrote:
TriFreaks have got something in the works. Some initial details below and I'll post some more details when it is finalized online.

60 Acres Park
Every-other Wednesday evening starting in February (~7pm)
1 or 2 distances (15-25km, and possibly a shorter one)
$15/night (timing, controlled corners, hot soup/chilly post racing, series prizes)

Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Portland or WA?

AKCrafty wrote:
You could throw in a few runs and do the Spring Classic Duathlon March 30! I've been wanting to do the Deschutes River Valley TT event for years. This may be the year!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Portland, on Marine Drive. Flat as a pancake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were in COS?

New assignment?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, have been here since last August.

my lungs love the sea level O2 and the humidity

MarkyV wrote:
I thought you were in COS?

New assignment?

Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
...! I've been wanting to do the Deschutes River Valley TT event for years. This may be the year!
Wait, that doesn't look like 2xTT's + 1xHillclimb! That looks like 3 x many hillclimbs!!!!! Let me know when there is a flat TT out there. I might try JackFrost this year... But, i've said that before.

Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
yep, seeing that now.

any experience with the TT at Portland International Raceway?

I've raced it the last two years ... it's flat and "FAST". I have posted my highest average speeds on that track regardless of distance. It's a 6 lap race (you count your own laps) and is just under 2 miles per lap. Lots of room to pass other riders and depending on the day may have a head wind or tail wind down the main straight.

There is no traffic other than other riders to worry about, one semi-hairpin turn that you can take in your bars and the pavement is generally in perfect condition.

With that said ... it's super slick if it rains ... but in the dry, it's hard to find a faster race.

Other TT's in Oregon:

Jack Frost as mentioned is the last week of February and most years it's actually had very good weather. It's a pretty flat out/back course with a tight turn near the finish ... but pretty fast overall.

As the Raven Flies is a fun race with a fair amount of climbing. It's a very rolling course and hard to get a rhythm on. The "Only Longer" race is supposed to be a 40K ITT and hopefully they can pull it off this year (something came up and they had to cancel it last season).

If they get Estacada back this year ... it's a great earlier season 20 mile ITT. It has a fair amount of climbing, but other than one hill it's subtle due to the distance of the TT.

Revenge of the Disc is a new series started last year and is a very fun course with lots of turns and a bit of climbing. It's mid season though, so not really an early season race. Last year it was super windy during all three races, but was a blast and the prizes were pretty awesome across the board.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Nov 23, 13 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apart from as the raven flies... Is there a super flat 40km amongst these races in Oregon? Do they run any of the PIR races at 40k?

Quote | Reply
State Championships-40 ITT on Peoria Road near Corvallis. A superb course, used for many years. It used to be in June so the wind was generally manageable. It's been later for some time and if the weather is nice, you have a pretty decent headwind on the return leg.
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
Apart from as the raven flies... Is there a super flat 40km amongst these races in Oregon? Do they run any of the PIR races at 40k?

As far as I've seen ... Only the OBRA ITT Championships in August.
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials- Jack Frost TT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread.

Anyone doing Jack Frost TT this Sunday? Weather forecast is looking good (54-Partially Sunny).

http://www.bbcbike.com/p.cfm/our-races/jack-frost-time-trial
Vancouver, WA
Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials- Jack Frost TT [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided to do the Ice Breaker TT the next week

Quote Reply
Re: PAC NW Spring Time Trials- Jack Frost TT [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.

Looks like it should be a great turn out. 25+ registered for Cat 4/5 so far. See you there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next