Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia
Quote | Reply
O.K so I'm sick of not being able to change gears when on the base bars but not to savvy enough to hack the mod myself (and all the the threads with pictorials don't have the pics showing anymore). Any Aussies know of a shop that you would trust with doing this mod? Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No hacking required:
SW-R9150 Remote Satellite Shifters

If you want FD shifting you can use synchro shift which would require BT- DN110 battery or the equivalent external if you do not have the latest.

Can send pics next week of a build I just completed, the shifters mount very nicely right behind brake mount, inside or out or even bottom.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks mate! Pics would be great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do. One note is I actually used 2 junction B's to connect remote shifters to aerobar shifters (under stem cover) than some short jumpers to junction A (3 port) than can also be buried under stem cover (along rear brake line down into frame).

I thought I would need extenders for the remote shifters as the wires are short and designed to plug into brake shifters, but they actually made it through the bars to the junction B's. Unlike climbing shifters these can function independently.

So everything is buried with the only downside of recharging requiring removal of stem cover. This could be potentially be modified as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So can you confirm that these new remote shifters work if plugged directly into the junction box? The previous generation shifters (SW-R610) wouldn't work in that configuration, they need to be plugged into the STI levers (e.g. ST-9070). SW-R610 have no PCB and no CAN bus interface, just dumb switches.

So the new SW-R9150 must provide CAN bus functionality...do they really? That would be awesome.
Last edited by: axti: Mar 1, 18 23:13
Quote Reply
Re: P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia [axti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I had my doubts as well and others here confirmed, right now all four shifters are recognized independently on E-tube for RD and shift fine. I didn't have time to swap out battery to confirm synchro for front derailleur control , but see no reason why it wouldn't work. I can confirm that next week.

So that is the trade-off with using these is if you want FD on basebars you will need to use synchro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for confirming, ktm520.

RD operation only on the basebar is fine, I'm used to that. Currently using DIY-switches but was looking for a more solid and clean solution. Thanks! SW-R9150 ordered :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread couldn't be more timely as I am looking to do the exact same thing for RD only...sorry if I missed this, but why would I use the SW-9150 when I can use the SW-600 that would have both buttons in 1? I have 2 free ports and my box is right behind stem so pretty close, so I figured the 600 would use only one of those whereas the 9150 seems like it would need both. Not a mechanic at all so maybe I am way off...can you clarify this for me?

And part two would be an idea on length of the wire I need to get assuming I place this on the inside of the RHS brake lever. 150MM enough? My junction box is in my bento behind the stem. I'm thinking the SW600 + JC 200 2 tube port + a bit of wire.

Really looking forward to the pics since I assumed it would have to mount inside lever, but I am curious to see where else they could go. Thank you.
Last edited by: yrebetta: Mar 2, 18 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Will do. One note is I actually used 2 junction B's to connect remote shifters to aerobar shifters (under stem cover) than some short jumpers to junction A (3 port) than can also be buried under stem cover (along rear brake line down into frame).

I thought I would need extenders for the remote shifters as the wires are short and designed to plug into brake shifters, but they actually made it through the bars to the junction B's. Unlike climbing shifters these can function independently.

So everything is buried with the only downside of recharging requiring removal of stem cover. This could be potentially be modified as well.

Hi mate, just a reminder on the pics if you don't mind? Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1x SW-R600 or 2x SW-R9150 is totally personal preference I guess...I like to shift on left and right hand side, I'm used to that. Also, the SW-R600 is a bit bulky to me...I really like the small size of the R9150s. And yes, SW-R600 requires only one free port.

R9150's cable length is 261 mm. I mounted the switches right at the end of the base bar, the cables then are just long enough to go inside the base bar until the stem's opening. I connected both cables to a SM-JC41 which hides within the stem. A single cable (~200 mm) then goes to the junction box which is placed in a bento box behind the stem.
Last edited by: axti: Mar 4, 18 23:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not have finished look, will have those this weekend. Everything works with synchro-shift; single button DA on barends and 9150 on basebar. These are just zipped right now, will cover with bar tape with cutout. It will be less bulky, all in all, than di2 shifters. I will need to ride around a bit to decide final position, they could be mounted to side of brake, but this spots seems pretty good to me.

2 junctions B at bar/stem junction connecting barends to 9150's and than some short wires to 3 port junction A that fits inside stem. I may modify this for ease of access to junction A.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished product, decided to go stealth and mount them on underside. Actual feel better there as well, long ride tomorrow! Amazing how affordable this bike (frameset) has gotten if you wait and search around. This one was from a closed bike shop for just under $2K.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. Ordered my parts today and hope to install soon. Thanks for the pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi. I have a couple of follow ups as I am installing my switch today...hoping you can help.

1. I plan to epoxy the switch the inside of my RHS brake lever. I’m assuming once I take the bar tape off I will see a little hole on the underside of the base bar to thread the wire in and once I take stem cover off it will all become pretty evident. I will run it’s supplied wire to the junction in the stem as you described, then connect the extension wire I have to that and run it to my bento to plug into the 5 port. I have two open ports so does it matter which one I plug it into? Not sure if some of those are designated for certain functions...
2. Prob a stupid question, but there are currently little plugs in the two open ports...do I just pull those out or do I need some little tool? Don’t laugh, I literally haven’t tried anything I just see them there. Same for the wire into the junction and port, do they just snap in or do I need something to pinch them together or something.
3. Once it is plugged in, will the port thing recognize that this is meant to control RD since that is all I want? I don’t get how it would know what I want it to do unless the two pieces talk to each other and just know. Or is there some computer hook up adjustment I need to do.

Then I guess I put the bar tape on and it’s done. Seems easy enough, but you know how it is.

Anything I am overlooking?

Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

1. It does not matter which port you use.

2. Just pull the plugs by hand, no tool needed. There is a tool available from Shimano for install and removal, but from my experience it's not really needed. For installing the wire you only have to ensure that you hear (and feel) a little "click" while pressing the plugs in.

3. I'm not sure to which switch you're referring to...do you plan to install 1xSW-R600 or 2xSW-R9150?

SW-R600 provides two switches, both controlling the RD...one shifts up, the other shifts down. I guess you can swap the functionality via eTube software.
SW-R9150: Those are specific for shifting up and down, respecitvely, i.e. you need two of those (usually you buy them in pairs). So while installing the switches you need to ensure that the one dedicated for shifting to a bigger cog is installed on the left side of the handle bar, the other one (shifting to a smaller cog) on the right side.

Hope that helps...

Regards
axti

yrebetta wrote:
Hi. I have a couple of follow ups as I am installing my switch today...hoping you can help.

1. I plan to epoxy the switch the inside of my RHS brake lever. I’m assuming once I take the bar tape off I will see a little hole on the underside of the base bar to thread the wire in and once I take stem cover off it will all become pretty evident. I will run it’s supplied wire to the junction in the stem as you described, then connect the extension wire I have to that and run it to my bento to plug into the 5 port. I have two open ports so does it matter which one I plug it into? Not sure if some of those are designated for certain functions...
2. Prob a stupid question, but there are currently little plugs in the two open ports...do I just pull those out or do I need some little tool? Don’t laugh, I literally haven’t tried anything I just see them there. Same for the wire into the junction and port, do they just snap in or do I need something to pinch them together or something.
3. Once it is plugged in, will the port thing recognize that this is meant to control RD since that is all I want? I don’t get how it would know what I want it to do unless the two pieces talk to each other and just know. Or is there some computer hook up adjustment I need to do.

Then I guess I put the bar tape on and it’s done. Seems easy enough, but you know how it is.

Anything I am overlooking?

Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I am using 1 SW R600.

Awesome. Thank you!
Last edited by: yrebetta: May 27, 18 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi would you get away with just using 1 b junction box if you just want front mech changes? I have the 2 button shifters so could I wire up the rear shifter with the two climber switches into a b junction box then a cable to the 3 port junction box with the rear shifter cable just going straight into the 3 port?.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 6 Di2 base bar gear shift mod-Australia [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I am following, I use synchro for FD shifting and after some time and changing defaults I like it. So RD shifting will automatically change FD based on programmed cassette position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, everything was going great for 5 minutes until not 1 but 2 of the 3mm Allen's striped (2 of the 4 for the stem cover). Now I'm stuck. FML.

I did plug in the shifter to an open Port just to see if it worked the RD and nothing happened. Don't know if I need to update something/softwate but in essence this has been a huge fail so far. I've never touched any of this since the install so I don't have any software or cpu on hand either. I am guessing I have to do something in that regard also since the shifter doesn't do anything.

And dang that shifter is giant and def designed for road bike handlebars. It Doesn't really sit clean or flush against the Magura at all.

Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually the SW-R600 should work right out of the box if plugged into the junction box. Are you sure that you plugged it in completely? You should hear/feel a solid "click".

Next step is to connect the system to the battery charger and the eTube software to check whether the SW-R600 is being detected.

And yes, the switch is bulky - that's one of the reasons I decided to go for (two) SW-R9150.
Last edited by: axti: May 27, 18 23:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually run 1x on my TT bike so less worried about synchro. Just wondered if I would get away with 1 b junction and one 3 port rather than the 2 b junctions in the stem. Wiring rear shifter (ultegra two button) and the two 9150 climber switches into the b junction then connecting to the 3 port. Then the front ultgetra 2 button shifter directly into the 3 port.

Hope that makes sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Do not have finished look, will have those this weekend. Everything works with synchro-shift; single button DA on barends and 9150 on basebar. These are just zipped right now, will cover with bar tape with cutout. It will be less bulky, all in all, than di2 shifters. I will need to ride around a bit to decide final position, they could be mounted to side of brake, but this spots seems pretty good to me.

2 junctions B at bar/stem junction connecting barends to 9150's and than some short wires to 3 port junction A that fits inside stem. I may modify this for ease of access to junction A.

Cheers!

Why do you need two b junctions? Are they just being used to extend the cables? Do you need the b junctions at all if the cable is long enough to plug directly into the 5 port A junction?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 3 port for size and mounted behind stem, 5 port should work as you described if you can find a spot for it closer to base bar. I wanted easy access to junction A for charging/troubleshooting/adjusting...so I needed to mate barends to 9150's and length was also an issue.

Quote Reply

Prev Next