Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bmanx,

Did you ever go through with the rivnuts on the top tube on your P2C? I'm really interested because I have been considering this for my P3C, but am put off slightly because the top tube is rounded and it seems to me that compressing the rivet nut will apply uneven pressure, vs doing this on a flatter profile like some of the new frames.

Appreciate any feedback if you did this on yours?

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not done this yet but when I do, I will most likely address the issue of a rounded top tube by making my own tool to do the crimping of the rivnut and try to match the profile of the top tube so that when I do compress the rivnut it forms to the top tube.

I have not been able to work on the bike at all since painting it as we have had some family issues, selling a home, buying a home and work commitments. Hopefully in April I can finish the build with the modifications to the top tube.

I will most likely go with the Torhan Bento like what Nick did as I believe you can cut it a little near the stem area to better hide the cabling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was looking at. I was checking out these images from Tririg and the Torhans site, it's a bit hard to make out but it looks to me as though they modified the bento a little bit. Possibly at the front, although it is already concave there to make allowance for the cables but they've definitely lopped something off underneath.. maybe to allow the rise where the cable stop piece sticks up.

Either way, sure looks nice married up to that Sigma XF.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A word of warning about that Torhans aerobento box. It is sleek, looks very nice, and when modified does hide cables very well on a P2/P3 installation. It's great for a photo shoot. However, it is almost useless for storing (specifically removing) gels. It is very very hard to get items into and out of this bento box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep! I took material out of the front and bottom of the box in order to slide it right up against the Sigma XF stem and hide the cables completely.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Michael, good to know. I can pick one up pretty cheap, if I do I will certainly test out the function before putting any holes in my frame. May stick to the darkspeedworks.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't find that to be true - maybe it depends on what gels you're using? I usually use PowerGels, and they go in and out just fine. No issues here.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
I don't find that to be true - maybe it depends on what gels you're using? I usually use PowerGels, and they go in and out just fine. No issues here.

How about a gel flask? Cannot stand to use packets.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick,

Can you share how you routed your rear brake and pics if possible?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
How about a gel flask? Cannot stand to use packets.

Speedpack 483 (or 483D for direct mount):

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok for me because I don't keep gels in my bento, they are in an xlab aero TT on the downtube. Much easier to swig out of a bottle than piss about with wrappers, for me. And I'm doing infinit this year anyway!

Nick, may I ask have you ever tried installing rivet nuts on a round profile tube? As above my P3C has a pretty round top tube and I'm reluctant to try it. I won't take your answer as any kind of a guarantee, just interested to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did mine (open mold) last night. The bends into the downtube are better than expected tested it all out by hand and it is smooth. I did file down a rough edge to make sure it didn't kink the black cable liner but not even sure that was necessary. I found some vinyl or similar hose at work that the jagwire liner easily fits inside, just too small for both though, so if i can figure out a way to fix that inside I may run the liner and shifter cable through that for the upper bend to make sure it has a very smooth curve.

I did not drill for the rivnuts yet but I eyeballed the DSW 483D holding the stem/bars in roughly the place they are when the fork is installed and everything seems like it will line up great. I liked the fact that the torhans could be cut and pushed further forward around the cables but I use honey on the bike and put it in little squeeze bottles, DSW bottle seemed to be a better fit.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found pictures from where I tackled this project on my P3 last year (2014). Here are a few of them I put together:

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job, but you lose style points for not cutting that steerer tube :)
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Good job, but you lose style points for not cutting that steerer tube :)

Haha, yeah, I know. I need to just commit and cut the stupid thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've trolled through the SLC thread and this one before attempting to do the the cable mod on my classic P3. How have you modified the flex brake noodles to fit this application, and what keeps them from dropping through the hole since they are not tapered? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Mrtjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drilled out the lip on the inside of the smaller part that I used. It was a PITA to do this and I had bought extra's just in case which hindsight was great because I killed the first one. I used 4 drill bits to get progressively larger but not too big as the flexible noodle is a press fit. I did use some Gorilla Glue on the inside to help hold it as that stuff is amazing.

I think sprayed the entire reworks noodle with plasti dip to give it a uniform look and also when pushed into the hole that I drilled, made it all fit night and tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is just what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Mrtjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post your finished product.

I have not touched the bike for months as I am moving and with showings, buying and selling the bike has taken a back seat. I will be doing the rivnut TT treatment in the near future as well as I like the idea of cleaning up the TT and having a bit of storage as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Down" weeks are good for experimenting.

Went ahead and did the cables and bosses. I did not run into any issues. I did modify the bento to be able to push it up next to the stem while accepting the cables.

I have never used the Torhans bento but I can see where some things would be more difficult to get out over others.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great front end. Can you remove the bento and show what you have done?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Formerly TriBrad02
Last edited by: TriBrad02: Apr 22, 15 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you install the bosses for the bento? What are they? Been thinking of this mod for my "classic" P2.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi mate, have a look a little bit further up in the thread where I posted a link out to the tririg video. Basically you use rivnuts (rivet nuts) and the appropriate crimp tool.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5436471#5436471

Cheers.
Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 22, 15 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent, that could be my bike but for a different paint scheme and I haven't had the balls to do the bento bosses yet.

Did you just use M5 rivnuts? I was worried about the curve of the top tube causing uneven pressure on the underside when the compressible part of the rivnut is crimped up onto that. Any hiccups?

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply

Prev Next