Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop.

My good friend recently opened up his dream shop, a beautiful small combination bike shop/coffee shop in South Texas called 7th and Park. http://www.seventhandpark.com. He did everything right; amazing location, beautiful interior, delicious coffee and great bikes. He even worked hard on designing unique shop kits.

Now imagine his surprise when he saw this being sold by Ownway Apparel, a company owned and operated by professional triathlete Chris "Big Sexy" McDonald.

Chris McDonald had access to the designs of 7th and Park. In 2016, when 7th and Park was shopping for a kit supplier, they trusted Chris and sent a few designs to his company Big Sexy Gear for a mock up. 7th and Park decided to go with another suppiler and shortly after, Big Sexy Gear became Ownway Apparel. Chris and his new company blatantly stole the designs from 7th and Park and used them as their own. Chris has been contacted by the shop owner of 7th and Park but he has refused to reply. This is obviously theft. It's not the only kit design that has been stolen from 7th and Park by Ownway Apparel and there is no telling how many other shops or teams that he has also stolen designs from.

I strongly suggest everyone to avoid doing business with Chris McDonald and his company Ownway Apparel. Chris has been contacted numerous times about this issue and he refuses to respond, hence why we decided to make it public.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]

wow

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]

Definitely a crime in my book if you are selling a kit that looks like that.

While it does seem like a dick move.....did you have exclusivity rights to this design? I am not in the apparel business, but I would imagine that once a company gets cranked up making a design, and there is no copyright or exclusivity agreement....then it is a free-for-all....anyone can slap their logo on it. Now, if you had exclusivity......

Nothing illegal.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

The designs were already complete and belong to the shop. They were given to Big Sexy Gear for them only to be digitize for mock ups. Chris formed a different company and used the designs as his own. That is stealing. This could have been handled privately if he didn't ignore the attempts to communicate.

I would never do business with anyone called Big Sexy. First mistake right there

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/

fitzkickjr wrote:
The designs were already complete and belong to the shop. They were given to Big Sexy Gear for them only to be digitize for mock ups. Chris formed a different company and used the designs as his own. That is stealing. This could have been handled privately if he didn't ignore the attempts to communicate.

You are not answering my question, what do you mean by "belonged to the shop?" Did the shop have the designs copyrighted or somehow have exclusivity to use the designs?

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:

You are not answering my question, what do you mean by "belonged to the shop?" Did the shop have the designs copyrighted or somehow have exclusivity to use the designs?

wow, how about ethics

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]

How about reading my first post where I said it was a dick move.

I have a very recent and very positive experience with OwnWay Apparel. The folks there have been absolutely incredible to work with. The communication has been professional and very timely and the design process has been fantastic. I can't speak to the quality of the kits yet because I just completed the design process, but they offer various price points to offer all shoppers, various chamois, various cuts (race and "club"). I anticipate high quality as I have seen the kits in person. For anyone looking to try the custom experience, I would recommend checking them out.

The law is clear that copyright belongs to the artist from the moment of creation. 7th and Park owns exclusive rights to the designs as their designer created it. That is the answer to your question.

They did not authorize the use of the design. And specifically asked that they not be used, not be shared, and not be shown without permission.

Naw, your pal's is white with black stripes and Chris made a kit that was black with white stripes--not the same.

Generally, clothing isn't copyrightable.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
I have a very recent and very positive experience with OwnWay Apparel. The folks there have been absolutely incredible to work with. The communication has been professional and very timely and the design process has been fantastic. I can't speak to the quality of the kits yet because I just completed the design process, but they offer various price points to offer all shoppers, various chamois, various cuts (race and "club"). I anticipate high quality as I have seen the kits in person. For anyone looking to try the custom experience, I would recommend checking them out.

Really? Your response to a thread claiming that this company unscrupulously copied designs submitted by a potential client is an infomercial on said company? Weird.

On a lighter note, "zebra chevron" should never be copied, let alone conceived in the first place. That is the real tragedy here.
Last edited by: chrisgrigsby: Sep 19, 17 20:00

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]

Yes, really. I had planned to separately post after I received my gear in a month but figured I would respond here.

I guess I should give the usual qualifier that I have no affiliation with the company itself.

I can't speak to the above claims but I suspect there is more to the story. I see several red flags in the original posting.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 19, 17 20:38

I believe generally speaking clothing is not a copyrightable item. If he/they used the trademark, name something to make it confusing to the consumer, you might have case but probably not in this instance. Regardless, you might want to rethink your choice of words as they may open you to a libel suit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

fitzkickjr wrote:

Were the designs trademarked or copyrighted or anything along those lines?

a complete dick move to steal that stuff. However, there might not be much legal recourse

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]

davejustdave wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:

a complete dick move to steal that stuff. However, there might not be much legal recourse

Generally, clothing can't be trademarked or copyrighted.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
Yes, really. I had planned to separately post after I received my gear in a month but figured I would respond here.

I guess I should give the usual qualifier that I have no affiliation with the company itself.

I can't speak to the above claims but I suspect there is more to the story.

Those pictures are pretty damning, and your positive review seems a little bit over the top.

Even if it wasn't a copyrightable thing, even if they make decent quality clothing, it's complete bullshit to steal somebody else's design. You have to admit that, unless you are a shill for the company.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]

Ahh yes...already breaking out the conspiracy theories. I won't respond further to your speculation other than repeat one last time that I have no affiliation with the company. I got a referral to them from another STer and had a very positive experience in buying custom apparel.

Re: Ownway Apparel and Chris McDonald. Stealing from small bike shop. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]

jimatbeyond wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:

Generally, clothing can't be trademarked or copyrighted.

Generally the cut and shape can't be copyrighted, but design can be. Query whether zebra stripes are "design", but add the pink collar accent and perhaps we have a design that could potentially be the subject of copyright.

DFW_Tri wrote:
Ahh yes...already breaking out the conspiracy theories. I won't respond further to your speculation other than repeat one last time that I have no affiliation with the company. I got a referral to them from another STer and had a very positive experience in buying custom apparel.

Yeah, must be a conspiracy theory on my part. Totally. You got me there *pink*

I mean, aside from the fact that the Chevron was the exact same angle, the variance and change in the thickness of the stripes was the exact same, etc , combined with the fact that the company had recently been shown that design as a mock-up.

And a way, way, way x 10 to the 23rd over the top positive review?

Yeah. Must be a conspiracy theory.

As I stated, anybody who is anything but a complete shill for the company would admit that they are ripping off the design.

It's blatant.

Regardless of whether or not this type of stuff is copyrightable, it's scummy, and it's bad business.

So, why won't you admit that they are ripping off the design, and that it's bad business? Your personal positive experience is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. Totally irrelevant. It doesn't affect for one second the fact that this is a rip-off of a design.

Why are you even posting on this thread about it in the first place? Them making you decent kits has nothing to do with whether or not they stole this design.

And for anybody who's wondering why I get upset about this type of stuff. I have a lot of artist friends who survive: Literally feed their families and pay their mortgage, based on royalties they EARN from the work they put in designing things.

Stealing design is no different than any other form of stealing. Regardless of the legalities of it.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Sep 19, 17 20:43

DFW_Tri wrote:
I can't speak to the quality of the kits yet because I just completed the design process

Cool, we'll look fwd to seeing your design when it's posted to another website.
Last edited by: spookini: Sep 19, 17 20:44

Someone says "that wasn't my experience" and you guys jump all over them? Time and time again it's been proven on this site that there are two sides to each of these public call outs...

I've had multiple people close to me work with Chris/Own Way and to be honest I'm pretty blown away by how considerate and generous he is. The OP's account is vastly different than my impression...I'd like to hear the whole story, personally.

Prev Next