Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Over stretching / running?
Quote | Reply
Although I've been doing a fair amount of stretching in the morning, for the past 10 years, I started being more aggressive about it a few weeks ago, working on keeping my knees flat on the floor while seated and bending forward so my chest is on the floor. Great sense of accomplishment doing so :-) However, I've noticed my legs cramping up during my afternoon runs (3 miles). I'm wondering if I'm doing some serious damage to the tendons in my legs by over stretching and then running. Is there such a thing as being too loose in the joints.? Are overly flexible hip and knee joints and running mutually exclusive? Should I back off on the stretching and be content with stiffer knee joints but being able to run without cramping up? Or will the cramping gradually go away as my legs adjust?
I'm 66, and unfortunately have lost the flexibility of youth :-(

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Over stretching / running? [Richardthesecon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't be doing static stretching like that when your muscles aren't warmed up (i.e. first thing in the morning). Can't say for sure if it's contributing to your cramping issue but it's probably not doing you any favors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretching wont increase performance in running unless you have a major deficiency because of a past injury or trauma. As a general idea, i dont recommend it to my athletes.

my best advice if you feel stiff and want to loosen up to have a great run

1. use Trigger point therapy tools to lossen muscles (massage)

2. hot bath or warmth on the legs before running.

Those two will help you a lot and be much easier on your body.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Over stretching / running? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your quick reply.
I understand it's better to have the ol' muscles warmed up before stretching. Don't want to get too "touchy feely" about it, but jeeezzz if feels good stretching all over in the morning before hopping out of bed. There's no way I'm going to get up, run around to get things warmed up and then stretch, so have figured if I take it real slow, doing something, even if not ideal, is better than doing nothing. Think you're right though and I'll back off on the aggressive stretching.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't stretch any more, I use the foam roller before and after every run and sometimes after bike and my legs have never been happier! 2-3 min per leg is enough, you could give it a try and see if that works for you
Quote Reply
Re: Over stretching / running? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea about warming up the legs with hot shower or bath. I usually don't run until mid afternoon, and it has been rather nippy out there the last week or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Over stretching / running? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Stretching wont increase performance in running unless you have a major deficiency because of a past injury or trauma. As a general idea, i dont recommend it to my athletes.

my best advice if you feel stiff and want to loosen up to have a great run

1. use Trigger point therapy tools to lossen muscles (massage)

2. hot bath or warmth on the legs before running.

Those two will help you a lot and be much easier on your body.

The above is spot on in my opinion, I like to use a foam roller gently before a run to warm the muscles up.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand in front of my pellet stove before i stretch. Nice and toasty, makes loosening up easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on using a foam roller. I use it on my entire legs (front, back, sides), hips, back and lats. If you do this and find a tender spot, stay on that spot w/o rolling until the tenderness goes away. You can also use a rolling pin (yeah, that tool you would use to roll out a pie crust).

It may be a hassle to do this every time you get ready for a run, but, consider it injury prevention. Just plan on making it a part of your exercise regime from now on. Take an extra 15 minutes before your workout to really go to town on your body with the roller.

Fwiw, I stretch only after a run, never before. Also, look into Jay Johnson's Running Times Myrtle videos to help open up those hips and work on leg weaknesses. Very helpful if you favor one leg over the other.

http://www.runnersworld.com/...l-strength-exercises
Last edited by: Recoverie: Mar 6, 15 15:34
Quote Reply