Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not some random research by a random patron. The regulations in Australia are set nationally, if they change then I'll change when I kick people out. But outside of that, a coroner's court isn't going to care if I tell them an engineer told me it might be safe to swim in a storm.

I personally wouldn't even read some random papers handed to me.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jun 18, 17 0:52
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
If someone handed me a bunch of papers I'd tell them to fck off. If you want to run the risk of getting struck whether you're in the water or not, go do it on public land or your own private land.

While you are on the pools property the staff have a duty of care. It's not that we just don't want people in the pool in a storm, we don't really want people outside.
Some people have so much irresistible charm and charisma that it can be hard to say "no". Others are dicks and they get told "fck off".

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd at least be nice in person and then throw it in the garbage. If you want the regulations changed you have to take the research to the regulators, not an individual pool where the staff aren't qualified to make that call.

It's an interesting topic, but pool staff aren't in a position to change the rules or even understand the physics of lightning and water.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jun 18, 17 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have learned in High School Physics Class (more than a quarter century ago) that the one and only reason that they clear the pool / deck is because people do hang on to metal structures in and around the pool (railings, ladders etc.), and these are perfect paths for lightning to strike to.

Hang on to a railing or ladder, and you get fried.....

SharkFM wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
The electricity's going to take the path of least resistance. If water is such a poor conductor, wouldn't that path be the surface?

In the case of pool/strike on water, the electrical current moves from the grounded plane or source of electrons (e.g. the body of water) up into the charged cloud. Impurities in water conduct. Very pure water - true is not a good conductor. The thing that makes lakes and pools bad is you are the obviously the point, kinda like a spark plug tip.

You can have small localized pockets of charged air - there is no way to predict location or how intense they are. The odds are slim, but when I see activity - I'm out.

We had several lightning strikes around our lake in Ontario . What a light show. Trees mostly, some split in 1/2. There was also a kid that got zapped in a canoe trying to head home in a storm. Got a good buzz but he was OK.
Quote Reply

Prev Next