Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L)
Quote | Reply
Question for those of you who swim in outdoor pools where thunderstorms roll through frequently in the warmer months: Are you routinely kicked out of the pool at the slightest rumble of thunder??? Three days in a row this has happened to me now; fortunately I have a nearby indoor pool with no windows which never closes for T&L, but I know some places in south Fla that only have outdoor pools, so I'm wondering how they deal with T&L. I know you can install lightning rods and ground the pool, but I'm not sure that these completely alleviate the potential of a lightning strike.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at a pool in Australia, if the thunder is within 30seconds of the lightning strike we kick everyone out.

That's the royal life saving guideline here, I'd assume you would have something similar. If we don't kick people out and someone gets bbq'd we face a jail sentence for negligence, so we are quick to kick people out.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jun 15, 17 22:15
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get kicked out of the indoor pool I go to.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, roll with it. don't stress, stay flexible.

our LTF kicks everyone out of the outdoor and the indoor pool with thunder and lightning in the area. It can be sunny right above us but they keep an eye on the radar. Typical summer flash storm stuff.




"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting that they don't kick people out of the showers as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Montana I got kicked out of an indoor pool because of T & L...
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in south fl. Masters always gets shut down when lightning is near. My local LA fitness has an outdoor grounded pool. They nevet close for lightning.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Question for those of you who swim in outdoor pools where thunderstorms roll through frequently in the warmer months: Are you routinely kicked out of the pool at the slightest rumble of thunder??? Three days in a row this has happened to me now; fortunately I have a nearby indoor pool with no windows which never closes for T&L, but I know some places in south Fla that only have outdoor pools, so I'm wondering how they deal with T&L. I know you can install lightning rods and ground the pool, but I'm not sure that these completely alleviate the potential of a lightning strike.

Our outdoor pool automatically closes for 30 minutes at any sign or sound of T&L, no matter how far away, and we have a 20 story building within 100 meters of the pool. Any additional sound or sighting resets the 30 minute clock. My pool as a youth had a 20 minute policy.

How long does your pool close for?
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you can hear the thunder, you can be struck by the lightning.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our pool closes fro 30 minutes after each TorL. The indoor pool I know also closes for the same thing. These storms scattered across Florida are making it hard to swim. I haven't swam at all this week. I am hoping for tonight. We use to get more afternoon storms but they seem to be afternoon and evening this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indoor pool (YMCA) shuts down 30 mins for thunder. Which usually turns into at least an hour because the HS kids they leave outside to watch magically hear another one or two as it's about to open.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa, FL and swim outdoors year round. The two pools I use the most close for 20 mins whenever they hear Thunder. No need for lightning, thunder alone is good enough regardless if there is a cloud in the sky or not. If you don't swim first thing in the morning during the summer, then there is a good chance you will be hosed for the day. Teen lifeguards would rather be in the back office on social media so they will close the pool if they hear a pinecone drop. I would say that I agree with them about 60-70% of the time they make the call; but the rest are pure B.S. excuses to get out of work.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every pool I've ever swam in, or my kids, has kicked everyone out for thunder except 1 pool. Personally I think it's ridiculous, along the lines of urban legend that an indoor pool can get hit by lightning. If you've ever seen what kids and parents do during a lightning evacuation (outdoor), it's way more dangerous: stand around the pool deck and chat.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool I go to also has a play area for kids and a splash pad. We get kicked out as soon as thunder is heard. Or even if no thunder but very dark skies.

Like others said, I stay flexible and do something else. It's not gonna make or break my training.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is my understanding that pools close because of all the plumbing connections in the ground handling all the water circulation, more than worry about a direct strike. But really, how in the world can anyone complain that people are trying to save your life? smh

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
It is my understanding that pools close because of all the plumbing connections in the ground handling all the water circulation, more than worry about a direct strike. But really, how in the world can anyone complain that people are trying to save your life? smh

Pools plumbing should be grounded if it's a newer pool and up to code. But lets say that is the issue. Then why are the showers and bathrooms not cleared.

Outdoor pool I'm fine with the policy. Indoor pool it's pretty ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to work as a lifeguard in the biggest waterpark in Canada and we had to close the park for at least 30 min when lightning/thunder struck. You can imagine the clusterfuck! It's the guideline written in the lifeguarding books and it's all about safety to the users (and workers) and liability for those who own the pool/waterpark.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any thunder closes outdoor and indoor pools for 30min..

I have never understood why indoor pools get closed since the risk is basically the same as for any building, and not increased by the presence of the pool.

However this sentence from lightningsafety.com explains,
" A Risk Management/Safety Professional will err on the side of caution every time and will be found harmless from allegations or claims of negligence. "
CYA is all it is.

so, I go swim by 11am each day this time of year..

----
"everyone wants to run like the wind, but the wind wants to run like Rudisha"
@crazynairobian
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wtf... never seen that happen unless power goes out.

___________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/...eoesophageal_fistula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy
Canadian Record Holder 35-39M - 200 m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I work at a pool in Australia, if the thunder is within 30seconds of the lightning strike we kick everyone out.

That's the royal life saving guideline here, I'd assume you would have something similar. If we don't kick people out and someone gets bbq'd we face a jail sentence for negligence, so we are quick to kick people out.

What about when you hear T but do not see any L???


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Every pool I've ever swam in, or my kids, has kicked everyone out for thunder except 1 pool. Personally I think it's ridiculous, along the lines of urban legend that an indoor pool can get hit by lightning. If you've ever seen what kids and parents do during a lightning evacuation (outdoor), it's way more dangerous: stand around the pool deck and chat.

I think whether the indoor pool has any windows makes a difference, as these pools swear they've seen L strike through their windows. In the case of one of these pools, the guards have pointed out a crack in the wall near a window they say was caused by the the L. OTOH, at the other indoor pool with windows, there was no apparent damage from the L strike. Would there not be some damage from an actual L strike???

I have swum in several indoor pools, with zero windows, which never closed due to T&L. Right now, I swim at an outdoor pool on non-T days and at a never-close indoor pool on T-days.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Question for those of you who swim in outdoor pools where thunderstorms roll through frequently in the warmer months: Are you routinely kicked out of the pool at the slightest rumble of thunder??? Three days in a row this has happened to me now; fortunately I have a nearby indoor pool with no windows which never closes for T&L, but I know some places in south Fla that only have outdoor pools, so I'm wondering how they deal with T&L. I know you can install lightning rods and ground the pool, but I'm not sure that these completely alleviate the potential of a lightning strike.


Our outdoor pool automatically closes for 30 minutes at any sign or sound of T&L, no matter how far away, and we have a 20 story building within 100 meters of the pool. Any additional sound or sighting resets the 30 minute clock. My pool as a youth had a 20 minute policy.

How long does your pool close for?

My current outdoor pool has a 30-min policy but the outdoor pool i swam at last year had a 20-min policy, and of course any new T starts the timer over.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple years back a kid was killed here in Venice CA, summer storm lightning strike while he was in the ocean

Nothing to eff around with
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
It's interesting that they don't kick people out of the showers as well.

I wondered about that as well. And, what about people driving metallic cars in the rain with T&L??? Seems like they should shut the roads down too to provide max safety. And of course no biking and running outside during T&L.


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Pools and Thunder and Lightning (T&L) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next