Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do...
Quote | Reply
If you won what cool stuff would you buy? Would you keep racing? Keep training as hard or harder? Man wouldn't it be cool. Alot of people from my group, my training partners would be come sponsored by me, alot of overnight pro's!!
Quote Reply
Re: Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do... [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd show up to work with my new P3, laughing giddilly, to give my resignation and then ride off to start my new career as the world's slowest professional triathlete.

Toys? Hmmm.... where to begin:

Altitude tent- (or better yet, cabin in Tahoe and a jet so I could fly to the Central Valley to train during the day and then fly to Tahoe to sleep/recover at night.) What's the saying- train low, rest high?

Personal mechanic- bacause I can NEVER get my front der working right and I hate when I get grease all over my hands cleaning the chain.

personal masseur

Oh well, best to stop there before I really get depressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do... [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I came into that kind of cash?? College funds for my nieces, two new bikes, the GMC Sierra I've had my eye on, a new house (nothing ridiculous) for myself, and I'd probably switch to working 4 days a week. Yes I'd keep training and racing. Probably more so. For that matter, you can add a personal trainer/coach to the list.

It's official, I'm boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is mine! <grin> I've got 5 tickets in my pocket right now.

I'd give my 10 best friends a million. Each brother and sister of mine and my wife's would get 5, and we'd retire happily on the rest at 37 years of age.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Amazing... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost started a similar thread on Sunday, when I was trying to avoid Calculus. ;)

Anyway, the bikes*:

Tri: Cat Cheetah, Yamaguchi V-Tech TT

Road: Mandaric 753 custom, Colnago Master X-Light, Cervelo R2.5 Carbon

Track: Yamaguchi - either a Mike McCarthy '92 replica, or a Team USA II

'Cross: Gunnar Cross Hairs

Street Fixie: Build my own: http://www.yamaguchibike.com/...Building_School.html

*Campy Record is assumed for all applications save 'cross, where I'd want an XTR rear derailleur.

Would I keep racing? Training? HELL YES! Would I be much faster? Well... I'd definitely be faster. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Amazing... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a ton of US government bond, collect the 1% interest and live happily off that.

then quit my job, and try to become pro, have a few places, one in Italy, one in NYC, then maybe Australia, bikes and workout clothes in each place so that I never have to fly with one or really pack for that matter.

Ah well, back to work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
donate it to USAT with the stipulation that all races must now be free, with prize money.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do... [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case can I be one of your friends?

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thread. I LIVE on these types of things.

And I'm glad that the amount was high enough to actually amount to something. A couple weeks ago on another board, some one asked the same question of $2.5M. My aswer was that wasn't enough money to do much more than retire at my current standard.

So, $150M...

First, I'd pay off all my debt and that of my and my wife's parents. Then, I'd set up retirement funds for both at 2.5M each (that would net them about $200K a year).

I'd buy the four houses in the areas I already have selected (about $4-5M each), and hire caretakers for each house when we're not there (that's another $500K a year, so add that's another $6m invested). Full time chef and housekeeper ($2.5M invested).

Buy the cars we've been looking at, one set each for each house (another $1M).

Set up trust funds and skip-generation trust funds so that my children and grandchildren are set for life (another $30M or so).

Set up a scholarship endowment ($2M).

Build a homeless shelter ($3M).

Make some investments that would fund cancer research (Fred Hutchinson and St Judes Hospital).

Oh yeah, and somewhere along the lines, like day 1, I'd retire.

Let's see, where does that leave me... Hmmm... Add the 2... Carry the one...

I still have almost $65M left (I's assuming the $150 is after taxes).

What else...

Oh, that's right! Toys!

I'd upgrade my current ride to full Dura-Ace.

I'd get a custom Softride TT bike, titanium TiCycles, also full Dura-Ace, with Hed3s.

I'd have the time to train and race to my full capacity, allowing adequate recovery (read -- fairly stress-free life).

Air transport for going to races and chasing the sun and such.

Sponsor a bike and tri team.

Hmm... That still leaves me about $35M to invest and live off the interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do... [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd build a velodrome in Boston or one of its immediate suburbs. Its absolutely horrible that the closest track is in NYC and even that one (Kissena) isn't so great. The next nearest (Lehigh) is in Pennsylvania.

There are so many cyclists in New England that a track could serve.

I'd also quit my day job, go Robin Williams style when it comes to buying bikes (one of each), ride everyday, Travel to Europe frequently for rides (dolomites, pyrenees, etc.) and get the hell out of New England in the winter to go riding (Arizona, Martinique, Mallorca, southern Spain).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least then I could afford to buy PowerCranks.

Or convince Tom D to let me open a franchise on the east coast.

Probably couldn't afford both (just kidding Frank).

Oh the toys I would buy!
Quote Reply
Re: Our state lotto is 150mil!! what would you do... [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on the velodrome thing. I'd actually build two -- one 400m track similar to Marymoor, but with a cantilevered roof over the track surface, and another figure-8 track on the infield (saw a pic with a short article some time ago, looked cool).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first thing I'd do is upgrade our tickets to first class on July 3rd. Then, I'd stick around for the entire Tour instead of the first 10 stages.

The second thing I'd do is hire one of our tax lawyers to deal with it.

Then:

Pay off truck, student loan and cards.

Buy a few houses: Alexander Valley (NorCal), New Zealand, flat in SF, beach house in North County San Diego.

Kickstart the SF Velodrome with a little cash.

Take mom and dad on a trip or two.

Donate to a number of different organizations.

Pay for the trip and entry to IM NZ for some folks who have helped me out this past year.

"Stuff"? I love my truck, I love my bikes, so I'd probably not buy too much stuff, though a new track bike would definitely be on the list.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seven cycles everything. ford gt. epo. beach front shack. lots of naps.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Toys? Well, after making a few ... I mean a few thousand ... missionaries around the world never worry about money ever again, I would probably buy a new pair of tri-specific cycling shoes, upgrade my ride to Ultegra (no need to go to crazy), and swim, ride, and run baby.

The reason I would not buy a new tri bike is that I made a deal with myself about two years ago. Until I can make my current ride average over 20mph in a race, I don't deserve it. Get stronger and then get lighter. Anyway I would hate to be riding my new P3 into T2 and see all the other bikes already racked. I would just keep my old steel ride and get to training full time. I might upgrade to racing flats, though. Oh yeah, I run slow too. Maybe I should just run more.

Oh, did I mention that I would be smiling more than anyone else on the course?

And the race entry fee scholarship fund for starving athletes?

Figure that would leave about $99.9M ($50M to the missionaries and $0.1 on stuff & tri sholarship fund). What to do with the rest ???

Steve

We are all blessed to be able to do what we do ... Train On ...
Quote Reply