Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Our new search utility [beta]
Quote | Reply
if you go to the slowtwitch home page, you'll note our sitewide search engine on the upper left. we've mushed together our search utility with one built by sportgenic, and i'd like you to try it and see if it's something of greater value to you -- if it's something worth going back to.

there are tabs, and the first tab is simply our sitewide search. the second is a webwide search, the third a search of that term in reader forums (ours as well as others) and the fourth is how that term comes up if you're specifically looking to buy something related to the search term.

please post all comments about functionality, utility, bugs, etc., here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Our new search utility [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I would like a bit more advanced search options at your nice little website here for the main page content and the forums. What features exactly am I looking for? ... can't really put my finger on it right now (a bit late in the eve). I got into this reply due to something I happened to see on for sale on CL, and wanted some quick info before possibly sending an email to a seller before going off to la-la land. Anyway...

Here's my quick take...to start, I don't know what tabs you're tlaking about. I didn't see any tabs in the Search Form or in the Results. In the search results, under the Links header I see "Products," which is an active link that goes to main page articles. It found my key words/letters in some articles that were apparently tagged as a product article. I guess this "Product" subheader is what you meant as a tab, and initially, when I saw you mention tabs, I was immediately thinking and looking for an actual tab like we have for web browsers inset into the page where I would select each tab to see the reults under each of those. But, I guess that the tabs, or what I would refer to as a header/sub-header (take your pick), will only populate in your results if it finds something in that category. So, I suppose that my key words weren't found anywhere else except for the Products category/tab.

Now, do I really believe that somewhere and some time that someone DID NOT mention a SRAM Red Crankset in the forums? I went to the regular forum search entry used the same keywords, and it returned 98 results. Now, certainly not all of those are relevant together, but there were some that absolutely were, such as the thread for the results of a crank stiffness test.

I don't know. I feel like that should have come up under the new sitewide search.

More to follow later...maybe.

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: JerseyQuaker: Sep 6, 08 22:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, watching football, cleaning the basement. Decided That sticky about searches is still at the top and not much feedback. THe one you have is long and detailed. Mine wont be.

I searched for Titanflex.

Well the Slowtwitch tab, just showed the search option again (uh I know ST has posts and articles about titanflex) the other tabs had mixed results. But I think #2 on each were none ST stuff, I would think the ST content would get listed first, but what do I know.

Summary: It sucks

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't figure out how to make the various choices work. Just one choice so what you wrote about your new functionality seem impossible to me. I put in PowerCranks in the only choice I had and it came up with zero words and one link. Seems to be missing the forum completely. Me thinks it has a few problems.

One think I would like to enhance the search would be the ability to search my PM's for certain people, subjects, or words.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Our new search utility [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, just a quick impression, I'll play with it more at home.

Searched for "frame fitting" (Without the quotes)

1. ST tab - Not bad, came up with 4 articles (Fudging neg. reach, fitting first:angular head pin, geometry calc, positional probs) followed by a few features. It seemed to get much less relevant as you moved through categories, as in the "Tech" section, the first article was one on the physics of moving a bike.

2. News - Very scattered and not relevant (And I do realize it's a rather generic search term, btw.) 1st article is one on chain fitting, then a cyclingnews article on diagnosing drive train sounds, then a couple down it's already into clothing and shoes.

3. Discussions - hardly relevant to the original search intent. Seems every other one was a frame review, and they were external links. The ones from the ST forums (That I expected to get initially), were mostly hits of "frame" combined with "fit". It didn't seem like the search engine looked for the words in combination with each other, just straight occurrences of both words in the same article. In addition, it seemed to place no relevance on date. The second hit was reviews of a 1999 Torelli frame, where the last user review was in 2002.

4. Shopping - Again a little hit or miss, but seemed to be better than the news/discussion links.

I agree with one of the above posters, I would expect to see the ST links first, organized by phrase match, then date.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply