Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner
Quote | Reply
Anyone interested in training for this and doing it next August? I'm located in Watertown, MA.

https://runsignup.com/Race/ME/Portland/CascoBayIslandsSwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [Bostonbull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finding a teammate who has a similar mindset (do your goals align) and similar pacing will make a huge difference in whether you have an enjoyable experience in swimrun.

Not a bad idea to list out your running and swimming paces as follows:
Half marathon total time or pace per mile on a long tempo run and
Half Ironman or Ironman swim time or pace per 100yd.

The Maine course is getting longer in 2018.

Long Course: 4.25 miles of total swimming, 20.25 miles of running over 11 islands (20% longer than '17)
Short Course: 2.50 miles of total swimming, 10.75 miles of running over 6 islands (50% longer than '17)

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finding a teammate who has a similar mindset (do your goals align) and similar pacing will make a huge difference in whether you have an enjoyable experience in swimrun. //

Or a good strong bungie cord....(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars,

Have you guys shortened the amount of swimming for 2018? I see you swapped the Cliff to Chebeague leg with some shorter swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Middle of the pack guy here with a good mental game.

Roads I can turn 7:30 pace for mid distance (8 - 12 mile) runs, add 0:45 to a minute or so to that for New England trails.

Swimming times: I had a horrible swim this year at Ironman 70.3 Maine - 38:00. Not proud of that one, could never find my spot in traffic.

If I can find a partner, I want to take it serious, get faster, and train together once a week (at least) for the 6 - 8 weeks leading up to it.

Short course is fine with me for my first time at this event.

Why don't we have a Tinder for athletes looking for race and training partners?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than that 70.3 Maine, what pace can you hold for 1500 or 1800 meters of open water swimming.?

Bostonbull wrote:
Middle of the pack guy here with a good mental game.

Roads I can turn 7:30 pace for mid distance (8 - 12 mile) runs, add 0:45 to a minute or so to that for New England trails.

Swimming times: I had a horrible swim this year at Ironman 70.3 Maine - 38:00. Not proud of that one, could never find my spot in traffic.

If I can find a partner, I want to take it serious, get faster, and train together once a week (at least) for the 6 - 8 weeks leading up to it.

Short course is fine with me for my first time at this event.

Why don't we have a Tinder for athletes looking for race and training partners?!
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My general one mile time in Walden Pond is 32:00 - 33:00 per mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering doing the short course with my wife, but could be interested in teaming up. Live in Arlington, swim at Walden regularly, do Masters at Wellesley. Times are pretty similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During our post-race debriefs with the Coast Guard and Harbormaster, they had a concern with increased possibility of recreational boat traffic entering the final swims between Peaks-Cushing, Cushing-House and House-Peaks. They dubbed it the "Triangle of Doom" and no one (most of all us RD's) wants to put any swimmers in harms way. So, we decided to flip the course, complete those swims off the bat and finish further up in the Casco Bay Islands chain on Long Island. This course flip introduces two new islands, Great and Little Diamond. It eliminates Cliff House.

In all we've increased the total mileage of the Long Course by 20%. Swimming = 4.25 miles, Running = 20+ miles and Short Course by 50%. Swimming 2.5 miles, Running 10+ miles.

Full course maps and details on the site.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bostonbull wrote:

That's a great question and I'd love to see such an app.

Do you swim masters? Send the Cambridge Masters coach, Abe Rogers, an email and he can possibly help you find someone. I'll shoot him a heads up that you may contact him.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THE Abe Rogers? Someone needs to team up with him for Casco Bay!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a partner! Now I need to hope I we make the cut. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am likely in 2018. Going long. Just need to decide on a partner. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Otillo Maine - Looking for a partner [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Jan Kriska or Marcus Barton?

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply