Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a new road bike for, let's call it, 80% road riding and 20% gravel. I don't ride in poor conditions, so the gravel riding is just rough (not muddy). Does anyone have thoughts on a CX bike vs Roubaix/Domane/Solace/etc.?

I don't have experience with any of these types of bikes, I've so far been existing on my S3, but its just too rough and unenjoyable a lot of times. Unfortunately, in my size, I'm not going to get to test ride anything. I'm somewhat leaning towards CX bike with a road wheelset and a gravel wheelset, though one of these endurance bikes with a single wheelset and 26C or 28C tires would probably work as well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with the 'endurance' range is that they will usually cap out at 28mm tires. Maybe this is fine for you, but if you were going to go after a do it all (or do it most) bike, that can really limit your utility. If you already have a bike that can fit 25's (S3?), I'd have a hard time making a case to buy a whole new bike just to get 28's. I would probably be going for the full on CX and/or gravel road bike at that point, so long as you are not planning on racing with it a ton. This will also aid you in fitting beefy and durable fenders for winter riding if your weather conditions demand it.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the CX bike. Very versatile, it will give you plenty of options. Two (or more) sets of tires will suffice, two complete wheelsets not necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started a similar thread recently. Looking at cross bike vs something like the Spec Diverge which takes up to 33-35mm tires.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My road bike was wrecked in a car accident a month ago and I have been doing all my rides (gravel, road, and cx) on my cx bike. I am not sure at this point if I am going to replace my road bike since the cx bike is great in all 3 areas. I use a set of 23 slicks for the road rides, 33 pdx clements for cx, and 33 mxps for gravel rides/races. The bike is a cannondale CX superX hi mod with a set of disc 303s. The only mechanical issue I have had to date is replacing the rear D after smashing it on a rock and having to clean out the shifters after eating it in a sand pit (cx race).
Last edited by: SkipS: Nov 21, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a giant defy advanced recently. di2 and disc brake.
I rode throuout the city of Toronto on some terrible roads... It is far more comfortable and way less jarring than my R3 Cervelo. It has factory 25 mm tires and my R3 has tubular 25mm I love my new bike and can't imagine how comfortable it will be with 28mm tires.
I was looking at cross bike but I'm glad I chose endurance road.

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Niner RLT. Combined with something like the new Schwalbe G One tires you should be in heaven.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [Mister944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mister944 wrote:
I bought a giant defy advanced recently. di2 and disc brake.
I rode throuout the city of Toronto on some terrible roads... It is far more comfortable and way less jarring than my R3 Cervelo. It has factory 25 mm tires and my R3 has tubular 25mm I love my new bike and can't imagine how comfortable it will be with 28mm tires.
I was looking at cross bike but I'm glad I chose endurance road.

Jeff

Toronto roads are as bad as I've ever ridden; sometimes I'm worried my spine is going to disintegrate. I have an aero road bike and have done some gravel on it and it's been less jarring than regular road here so if anything can make this comfortable I'd consider it.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [Sanny87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a chance to test ride one of these "endurance" bikes do it.
My R3 is supposed to kick ass on the cobbles but seems harsh compared to the Defy.

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [Mister944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mister944 wrote:
If you have a chance to test ride one of these "endurance" bikes do it.
My R3 is supposed to kick ass on the cobbles but seems harsh compared to the Defy.

Jeff

The problem is that, depending on brand, I will be 48 to 50cm. No shops stock those. I guess maybe a shop will have a women's version I can try. If the race geometry version of the domane came in 50cm I would buy that. The #1 thing I'm most concerned about is feeling like I'm too upright.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've long had a dedicated gravel bike. A 25 lb steel pig touring bike with 35 mm knobbies. Soooo comfy but slow. 2-3 mph slower.
... That said it's all about the wheels & tires. There are great options out there that fit fatter tires. I'd get one bike with 2 sets of wheels. One with fast dedicated slicks & another piggy set with knobbies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Defy is definitely on my 'want' list. If I could buy two bikes I would probably get that plus an adventure bike. I have a Propel for racing but it is always prudent to have a backup roadie in case something goes wrong, right? right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Ridley X-Night CX frame for road rides in the NC mountains where the "Pavement Ends" signs are common. Set up the bar/saddle position to match my regular road bike. Works great. Lots of tire clearance, though I've been using 28mm GravelKings. They work well on gravel if it isn't too loose, and aren't too slow on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [kram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The giant defy is a very nice bike. The shaped tubes and proprietary designs do seem to make a difference in ride quality (based on a mixed surface demo ride). That said, if I could only have one road type bike, which I have chosen to consolidate down to, it would be, and is, a disc brake cyclocross bike. I found I was ridin my cross bike all the time anyway, so why have a separate roadie. Now I just have two sets of wheels, though admittedly 50mm deep rims, even with 25s, look a little small with cross bike tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right.

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on CX vs "Endurance" Bike for mixed road/gravel? [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipS wrote:
My road bike was wrecked in a car accident a month ago and I have been doing all my rides (gravel, road, and cx) on my cx bike. I am not sure at this point if I am going to replace my road bike since the cx bike is great in all 3 areas. I use a set of 23 slicks for the road rides, 33 pdx clements for cx, and 33 mxps for gravel rides/races. The bike is a cannondale CX superX hi mod with a set of disc 303s. The only mechanical issue I have had to date is replacing the rear D after smashing it on a rock and having to clean out the shifters after eating it in a sand pit (cx race).

We both know you need a pit bike. Do it. DO IT.
Quote Reply