Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield
Quote | Reply
Just bought Giro Air Attack Shield, wanted to get my fellow Slowtwitchers opinion on this...

• How ventilated is it?
  • How does it compare to true teardrop aero helmets?
  • Would you recommend something else?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [brandonberm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you're going to like the results of this post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. It's very ventilated. The first time I road with it, I noticed a difference. At times my eyes even dry out because of all the ventilation.

2. Can't say.

3. I like my air attack shield, it fits my head very well. Heavier that regular road helmets on par with an aero helmet.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used it a few times and never felt overheated. I did not notice any lack of airflow.

I do not think it compares favorably too more traditional "teardrop" shaped aero helmet. In fact, I would guess it is only marginally better than a regular road helmet. That being said, it is comfortable and the shield is great to have especially in the rain.

There are far better options if you are willing to purchase another helmet or can exchange yours.

I think someone here referred to this helmet as nothing more than a fancy salad bowl.

Twitter: @blues2play
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [ajessup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What others would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rudy or Bell Javelin
They are both low cost and (I believe) far better aerodynamically.

Twitter: @blues2play
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine. I would say it is adequately ventilated. As for aero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTiyl79dTsg

If this is indicative of aero road helmets vs. full TT helmets, you save 20 seconds per 40 km with the TT helmet, assuming good position. Turn your head or look down enough and the aero road might actually save you time. For me, my neck gets sore with a Full TT helmet even over 1/2 iron distance. So for me, the aero road helmet is faster than TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [ajessup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No data to back this up but here is what i do and why. Sprint and Olympic distance I wear a Javelin because I'm comfortable holding tucked in aero position for the duration of the ride. Long distance HIM and IM I wear the air attack shield because I know I will be moving my head around and will spend periods with my head down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brandonberm wrote:

The AA is not great at all as an aero road helmet. return it and get an evade if you want to go the aero road helmet route
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
The AA is not great at all as an aero road helmet. return it and get an evade if you want to go the aero road helmet route

Giro Synthe. Tested better than the Evade in this Lava test for the "head up" position. And the Attack is, according to at least one other magazine test, better than the Evade in the "head down" position.

The Synthe is also the most comfortable road helmet I've worn, bar none. Though that stuff can be individual.

Maybe the Evade is a good compromise if you switch head positions between those two a lot like your Chris Froome stem-staring type, because I think it's the best "average" between the two.

Only the Evade is vomit-inducingly ugly, and cosmetics are very important in road cycling.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 25, 15 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my air attack shield for the past 2 seasons and have worn it for all of my rides. I did not find it too hot. I love the visor while on my tri bike. I think it gives me better visibility then my sunglasses while in the aerobars. I did get the synthe this year. I only used it a few times but like it. I was looking for a more normal looking daily ride. Both are equally comfortable. For tri or tt I'll still use my air attack with shield but otherwise probably my synthe. I had a selector but found it hot and cumbersome so I returned it. Maybe one day I'll check out the kask or new trek snub tail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as most others have said, it is terrible compared to pure aero helmets, and it does not perform well, repeatedly, relative to the Evade (if there are other major aero road helmets, i'm not recalling them at the moment).

if you are picking between the AA or a standard road helmet, then you made a good choice.

if you are picking between the AA and the Evade, it's quite possible you've made the wrong choice (but you'd have to test to be certain).

if you are picking between the AA and a true aero helmet, it is almost certain you made the wrong choice (but you'd have to test to be certain).

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one other point to mention....

I was recently in the market for a new road helmet. I wanted the evade, but with a $150 spread in price between the evade and AA I chose the AA. Maybe I didn't know where to shop for the evade, but it seems like a sub $200 price is tough to come by.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's true that Air Attacks are available all over the place now for less than $150 (sometimes under $100 for the non-visor version). So for a budget aero road helmet they are not a bad choice. I use one for winter training as it has less ventilation, which in the cold is not a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like those figures maybe girl's own Which I am sure some people have questioned. I have been waiting for a few more independent test on the synthe, kask's 2 aero offerings and the bell star pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
Looks like those figures maybe girl's own Which I am sure some people have questioned. I have been waiting for a few more independent test on the synthe, kask's 2 aero offerings and the bell star pro.

I don't know, I've heard several people say about full-up TT helmets that just pick the one that looks best because there's so much variability between people in wind tunnel testing that you're not going to know which is best without actual wind tunnel testing on yourself.

And road helmets probably have even more variability because the position isn't going to be anywhere near as static as a TT position.

I got the Synthe because it looks good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so is the giro synthe considered an aero helmet? or road helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Opinion Needed: Giro Air Attack Shield [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
so is the giro synthe considered an aero helmet? or road helmet?

It is an aero road helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brandonberm,

How do you like the shield? I passed on the shield and bought the Giro AA because I wear glasses and wondered about double glare, double glass.

Have been happy with my AA. Light, aero, no problem with cooling and much quieter than my road helmet.

Wearing the AA while training doesn't stand out like a "true" aero helmet would and I prefer using just one helmet.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, but often results show a helmet that works well for most people. Like I think the Specialized sworks th helmet from what I have read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • It is very ventilated. May not look that way with the mostly solid surface, but it is. As another poster said: my eyes often get a little dry from the venting.
  • It's going to be less aero than a traditional tear drop aero helmet. For longer races though it may be more comfortable, personal preference I guess. I love the Giro retention system and hate the one's that come on the Rudy Project helmets even though it's one of their "highlights" for the Wingspan.
  • Depends. Three things are important in cycling: Cost, Style, and Performance. It can be more of a personal preference, but if I could do it again I'd get the Kask Infinity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brandonberm wrote:
Just bought Giro Air Attack Shield, wanted to get my fellow Slowtwitchers opinion on this...

• How ventilated is it?
  • Would you recommend something else?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

1) Never had issues even in hot summers
2) Don't know
3) I would recommend the air attack for general use, use it for races and commuting. I look like a douche wearing an aero helmet to work but I save 3 seconds on my commute every day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my air attack. It's very comfortable. I don't think it feels hot. It's not as cool as my aeon, but substantially cooler than a Bell Volt that I had before the Aeon. I have the shield, but I never use it. If I was going back in time, I would buy the helmet without the shield instead. I prefer my normal sunglasses (Spy Daft).

I've read a lot of these threads talking about how slow the Air Attack is, but I haven't seen much data to back it up. I've seen some of the ERO Sports posts talk about how the air attack is slower than the evade and course, so i believe that the Air Attack probably isn't better, but I haven't seen wind tunnel results to back it up. Anyone have those? There has to be something out there, with all of the haters on ST bashing it.

I also see that quite a few pro teams still keep the AA in their lineup in the spring classics, even though they also have access to the Synthe. I'm not sure if the riders think its faster, more comfortable, warmer, safer, or if their sponsor just requires it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine for cyclocross. It is "warmer" during CX season than my regular road helmet. And, I find it a better helmet for commuting as it does not make my already bad hair even worse.

Most importantly, I took a really, really hard fall this past CX season, and it saved my head. So, for that reason I find it a very good helmet.

My current team does not wear Giro helmets, but I would not have a problem wearing the AA at all. It was (it cracked in my crash) a good helmet.

As far as aero-ness and heat goes, I raced a few summer crits with it and had the shield in place. No issues. But the longest race was a hour, I think. The break-aways in all the races that I made, did not stick. Maybe if that helmet could have saved me just 3 more watts...

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply