Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF)
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I just moved to Berkeley and am looking for spots where I can practice open water swimming. Any ideas?
Thanks !
Quote Reply
Re: Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF) [atrepant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Anza in Tilden park is what I used. In the summer they have a designated swim area (roped off and staffed by lifeguards). The rule is, during the hours that it's open, you must stay in the swim area (it's maybe 25 yards by 12 yards). If you get there before they open (9am), you can swim anywhere in the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF) [atrepant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three spots - we have an active group here in Alameda - its the old 2006 FINA championship course. we have a 1, 1.2, 3k, and 4k route.
Berkeley Marina has the Odyssey swimming group on Tuesdays and Sundays
And a lot of people swim at Keller Cove

Alameda is by far best I think, warmest cleanest water, sand beach, lots of routes with sighting points, and showers at the hut.

Re: Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF) [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I found this thread, as I wanted to ask the same question as OP.

I'm new to tri (thinking about doing my first sprint this summer), and would like to get some open water swims under my belt before I register.

Does anyone have feedback from swimming with the Odyssey group?

Justin - I'm in Alameda too. Where do you guys swim? Is that course safe to swim alone? Are kitesurfers a concern?

My apologies if I should have started a new thread. This is my first post. :) Thanks for any info!
Quote Reply
Re: Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF) [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to get more info about your group that swims in Alameda. I live in Oakland and swam with Odyssey some last year, this year I am looking for more options......

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Open water swim spots East Bay? (near SF) [tonyalta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look on Facebook for Alameda Triathletes. Not a club just locals who get together to train