Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open water, LA, january
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm a swede attending a conference in LA in January. Staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. Can anyone recommend a good spot to get into the ocean for an open water session?

TIA /rasken
Quote Reply
Re: Open water, LA, january [rasken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rasken,

Manhattan beach pier is walking distance from your hotel, and a fine swim.

Some people swim 6ish during the week, the LA Tri club meets at the MB pier at 8am.

Not sure about others but I'll be swimming in January.

Let me know when you're in town.

Todd
Last edited by: Cooker: Nov 19, 14 23:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rasken wrote:
Hi,
I'm a swede attending a conference in LA in January. Staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. Can anyone recommend a good spot to get into the ocean for an open water session?

TIA /rasken

The swim everyone does meets at the MB pier, but they tend to walk down to the Hermosa Beach Pier and swim back to MB (keeping the shore on your right). Great swim this time of year!

Nothing snarky to say other than the LA Tri Club has more than one LA-type (which, when combined with your typical triathlon-type, gives you an interesting swagger....)....
Quote Reply
Re: Open water, LA, january [Cooker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cooker wrote:
Rasken,

Manhattan beach pier is walking distance from your hotel, and a fine swim.

Some people swim 6ish during the week, the LA Tri club meets at the MB pier at 8am.

Not sure about others but I'll be swimming in January.

Let me know when you're in town.

Todd

8am at HB/MB peer every day or just weekends? (I'll be in Hermosa in January too).

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Re: Open water, LA, january [Cooker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bit of a stretch to call the Mariott to MB pier walking distance.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Open water, LA, january [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So light running bag, run to Hermosa Pier, change to swim gear and stuff run gear in a SaferSwimmer, swim to MB pier, change back and run back sounds kinda awesome then!
Last edited by: rasken: Nov 20, 14 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds doable as long as you have a reasonable sense of direction and don't get cold too easily (most people ocean swimming are in wetsuits in January).

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'll consider getting a cab and bringing a suit. But from what I can tell LA in january has the ocean temp of Sweden in May/June, so it might be OK. More concerned about local conditions tbh, like currents, rips, and things in the water wanting to eat me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water temperature can vary quite a bit but this year has been very warm. I've been in in January without a wetsuit before and my testicles retreated to somewhere inside my body and didn't come out for hours afterwards.

Currents aren't usually bad, rips aren't really a problem if you know what you're doing as you'll just be going across them. Sharks aren't worth worrying about (and I say that as someone who knows the guy who got bitten this year). Your main concerns should be rain (ocean gets too dirty due to runoff) or big surf (the definition of which varies fom 12 inches to 12 feet depending on your level of comfort). If the weather is against you it's time to move on to plan B whatever that is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great info, all of it! Thanks a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some ocean time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U mm the water will be freaking cold and you will probably be by yourself. Most of the LA Tri hard Core swimmer stop doing the MB swim by Thanksgiving even on the best years. However if you want to swim in low 50swater with 50 air temp enjoy.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can swim with a group with Gerry from Tower 26 starting in Santa Monica beach. Or you can take private sessions with us from The Race Club! We do one on one sessions in Pacific Palisades, CA. http://www.theraceclub.com/private-swim-coaching/
Quote Reply
Re: Open water, LA, january [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
U mm the water will be freaking cold and you will probably be by yourself. Most of the LA Tri hard Core swimmer stop doing the MB swim by Thanksgiving even on the best years. However if you want to swim in low 50swater with 50 air temp enjoy.

Well, I'm not blessed with California climate so I guess my frame of reference is different. We have 38 air and 46 water at the moment and I still swim regularly. If I had to wait for above-60 temps to swim I'd only be doing it two months per year. Which would suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you will be a happy swimmer!

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply