Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open Water Swimming
Quote | Reply
Hi

I am just about to start back in the lake for this seasons swim sessions but find it extremely cold and difficult to transition once out the water, the water temp here in England is 12-13 and I wondered if anyone had any ideas or techniques how to deal with it.

Many thanks
Paul

This weeks VLog is here if anyone would like a watch
youtu.be/lGIH6aBqYQk
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [CelebSuett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you need to start back just yet? Unless you are training specifically for a race where you know the water will be cold why not wait for a few weeks? I wont be going in anytime soon.

When you say you struggle is it dizziness? I get that a little kicking a bit harder before you get out helps a little. I have also heard some people use ear plugs as the cold water in the ear can cause it but I have never tried it.

Otherwise I think it is just a case of getting used to it, bu as above do you need to be used to 12 degree water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a wetsuit, that is the way to go. However, I agree that I would just wait for the weather to warm up unless I really needed the practice before a race. And I mean really need it. Hypothermia is very dangerous. Last year I did a HIM in a warmer climate before the water around here had warmed up. Because I am comfortable in open water and had done the distance before, I didn't do an OWS before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit, neoprene cap. That said are you going to race in 13 degree water? If not wait a month.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

Unfortunately I have a race in 2 weeks so want to get back in the lake ASAP, the problem isn't so much the swimming it's when I get out and my hands and feet are so cold

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have a race in a few weeks and need to try and get used to it. Mainly it's my feet and hands are so cold and make transitions tough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the race allow neoprene booties or gloves?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a race next weekend (Slateman) where the swim is usually very cold. I've been out a couple of times this year, once in 11C which was freezing, and again in 13C which was a bit better, but have suffered from very cold feet. I've bought some neoprene boots to try this week since as far as I'm aware they are allowed at the event I've entered.

I also wear a neoprene hat under the swim cap which helps, and I'm also going to try some larger goggles (aqua sphere vista) which will hopefully prevent that awful freeze as you stick your face in.

To be fair though, each time I've been open water swimming, there have been people just getting in with just a pair of speedos and swam for an hour with no issue. I really think getting used to it is the thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately no 😞
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really down to acclimatisation. Two weeks doesn't give you very long but if you can get a few more swims in before the race that could certainly help adaptation. If gloves and boots aren't allowed then maybe a neoprene "rash vest" warn under a wetsuit as an extra layer can help keep your core warm but it's one more thing to take off in transition.

It helps to start acclimatising at the end of the season IMHO by continuing to swim when the temperatures drop at the end of the season. Lets face it, UK races can have swims at current water temperatures in the summer depending on the weather.

srshaw wrote:
To be fair though, each time I've been open water swimming, there have been people just getting in with just a pair of speedos and swam for an hour with no issue. I really think getting used to it is the thing.

Certainly agree it is down to getting used to it. Where I swim I met people who swam none wetsuit all year and who were much better in the cold than I was with neoprene. This year I joined them, starting in the summer without a wetsuit and making it through winter and taking part in a gala with was the target event. It is pointless from a triathlon perspective but was interesting to learn how quickly the body acclimatises. I never get an ice cream headache swimming without a wetsuit which was unexpected.
Last edited by: Ian A: May 9, 17 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow Slateman is meant to be amazing!! Good luck with that

Thank you for the advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just hoping that it gets a bit warmer and then I'll grin and bare it next week for outlaw half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tricky. Think the time to acclimatise is too short. You can try freezing cold showers everyday?

You could get some socks and gloves and put those hand warmer things in to warm them up. Get out of the swim, pop them on whilst you sort the rest and off you go. Appreciate it will slow you down a little but you can keep the socks on anyway and throw the gloves when you have warmed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's some really good ideas thank you so much 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outlaw is meant to be really good too have you done it before
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done thr half before doing the ull later in the year which will be my first attempt at the distance
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swimming [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Massive good luck with that!!! Post about it so we can see how you done
Quote Reply