Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open Water Swim Aided racing
Quote | Reply
A bicycle makes travel on roads much faster and easier. Skis have done the same for us on snow.

What has been done to make open water faster? Do they have races that allow any and every non-motorized swim aid combination: wet suit, fins, hand paddles, snorkel, and whatever else can be invented?

Would poor swimmers do over three miles an hour in a swim aided race? Would great swimmers do six miles or more in an hour?

Like cycling on the roads, it might be pretty cool to swim in the open water at those speeds. Is this being done anywhere and what are the results like?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swim Aided racing [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
A bicycle makes travel on roads much faster and easier. Skis have done the same for us on snow.

What has been done to make open water faster? Do they have races that allow any and every non-motorized swim aid combination: wet suit, fins, hand paddles, snorkel, and whatever else can be invented?

Would poor swimmers do over three miles an hour in a swim aided race? Would great swimmers do six miles or more in an hour?

Like cycling on the roads, it might be pretty cool to swim in the open water at those speeds. Is this being done anywhere and what are the results like?

Things that help us move over water, under our own power. Hmm, You mean like rowing, kayaking, canoeing?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swim Aided racing [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We allow wetsuits in triathlon while swimming does not. That is as close as you will see.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swim Aided racing [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be a fun silly race, though - short of a boat/raft, what would you bring to an unlimited open swim?
My vote: that DeSoto monster 10mil wetsuit, neoprene hoodie, big paddles & use the wrist bands, fins - I'd have to play with their size to see what would work best. I think the longest ones, like those for breath-hold swimming would be too big for good effect on the surface. Possibly a snorkel, but the dead-air space might be a hindrance. Hope the water is cold!!!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply