Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season..
Quote | Reply
..what about you folks? If you're in your 20's it's not a big deal but as you get older it's harder to fight off the middle aged spread.

Last year I gained 7 lbs (ugh). Had my share of X-mas cookies, chocoate, turkey, wine and rum/eggnog again this year but last year I did almost nothing exercise wise for the two weeks over X-mas/New Year. Justified it by convincing myself that my body needed the time off to heal and rejuvinate tissue. This year I rode the bike on the trainer regularly and actually increased my running considerabley. I think that's what made the difference despite the high junk calories intake.

Tomorrow is our club's annual 10 kms "resolution run". Last year my time really sucked, not that I'm fast normally, but last year was really bad. I'll be five minutes faster tomorrow.

I like the Holiday Season but thankfully it's only once a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's great! It's not at all easy to minimize the damage like that. I'm on the dark side of my forties, and I somehow managed to lose 2.5 pounds in the last two weeks, mostly by really watching portions. I ate a little bit of most of what I wanted, but tried to resist going back for more. Also, I've been running thoughout preparing for the San Diego Half Marathon in two weeks, and that really helped even things out. I love the holidays, but I'm with you in not being sorry to see them go. Have a great race tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey CVGuy, minimizing the damage is what us older tri guys are all about - I'm 37 and can't wait to age up at 40. I've always contended that it's not our speed, but how much we don't slow down that matters.

I had some minor surgery in early December to correct an ailment known as child-bearing. Kept me off this bike for a while if you know what I mean ... Took the opportunity for my first 4-week break in three years. Feel great, strong even. Stretched a lot over the break, taking it easy on certain areas. Most amazingly I lost 4.5 pounds over the "season". What's that about? Your weight loss is a testament to your fitness. Nothing more complicated than that. The harder you work during the season, the better the off season. And the better next season.

Hey, let's get rolling toward 2004 and best of luck to you. I feel like reposting the thread about Slowtwitch Dreaming ... Come do EagleMan this year and have a beer with us afterwards. If you can get down to Boilermaker, there's no reason not to come to Maryland.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My four week holidays end today. I've trained everyday so I didn't gain any weight. Had 193 lbs yesterday and if I am below 190 lbs I'm raceready. This season is my first season in the M45 agegroup. I hope I gonna kick some ass and will try to not "just finish" but "race" the races.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I've gained somewhere around 3 pounds (in 3 weeks, arghhh) too.

I was hoping to start training last week (mostly running + swimming), but my knee injury came up again and I can only swim and bike for now [good thing I have a physio apointment tonight!]. I was so looking forward to nice long aerobic runs to burn off all of this fat, hopefully I'll get so strengthening/bands/whatever to do for my muscles to clear my knees up.

For some reason we've only had one 'cold' week so far (in the mid 50's with rain). Today it was 72 and really nice, but again I couldn't run =\

Anyway I wanna try using 'running sticks'. I can always go fast in training, but my side always seems to hurt during races. Maybe this will help (hopefully).
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yep I've gained somewhere around 3 pounds (in 3 weeks, arghhh) too.
Yeah, but you're 15-years-old for god's sake! Everyone else in this thread is more than TWICE your age!
Last edited by: Saber: Jan 4, 04 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to shed these quickly =)

OT but still bad mofoking news: I have to get braces [again]. f8ck f8ckk f8ckkkkkkkkkkkk. :*(

Hopefully these will be off by the time i'm 16-17, that way when i start racing junir-elite then pro (teheh) i'll have a pretty smile for ze cameras.
Quote Reply
Re: Only gained 3 lbs this holiday season.. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm hoping to shed these quickly

At your age just thinking hard will cause you to lose 3 pounds - and if that doesn't work, try a trip to the bathroom!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm stoked - I am down 5 pounds from the end of the season - I spent the holidays sick from the flu & cold - Wonderful weight loss tool. I went thru the holidays without a taste for Christmas cookies and sweets. I can't remember the last time I was on the south side of 175lbs. Whoo Ya!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm 38 with a family, was 140 lbs before the holidays and ended up at 139 after around 400K of XC skiing, 45K of speedskating, 40K of running, 60K of roller riding, a couple of sessions of weight lifting and taking my son out to skate, swim, ski and tobaggon. It probably helps that I won't touch any junk food with simple carbs and saturated fat as I need to keep my inherited propensity for high cholesterol in check. Besides that I had a great holiday. First XC ski race in 3 weeks. 50K at the Lake Placid Loppet. Anyone from this forum going to be at that race ?
Quote Reply