Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address
Quote | Reply
To all those vigilantly waiting for an update on my smoothie threads which brought so much smoothie related intellectual insight, I ve updated my smoothie profile:

So this is an updated version of my smoothie I sip throughout day as a sort of MRE when I can't eat a full meal:

1 cup organic chia seeds
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups w g oats
4 cups fat free plain yogurt
2 scoops organic whey/egg/cassein protein powder
Lots of spinach
Random fruit of the day for flavor and variety (usually blueberries or strawberries)
Water

I wanted to go full fat Greek yogurt but the only place I found it was at an out of way health food store and it was massively overpriced. F ing wal mart here doesn't cater to us organic, all natural health freak types.....I asked to see the manager about this. Oh yeah I couldn't quit dairy - I found I absolutely could not do it because it goes so god damn well w nat peanutbutter.

Note to all trolls and haters: please be creative and witty....I expect a higher caliber of troll in my smoothie threads.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 15, 14 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could substitute almond milk for the yogurt if you're concerned about dairy. Then add a banana, the banana will give you the creamy texture without the yogurt.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you abbreviate Whole Grain with "w g"
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spider wrote:
Did you abbreviate Whole Grain with "w g"

No, w g stands for Wicked Gnarly.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 14, 14 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing:

Almond milk
Spinach
Banana
Apple
Whey protein
Mixed frozen berries

It's amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife does:

Spinach
Pineapple
Green grapes
Yogurt
Water
Ice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I've done this before on ST but here goes. Make this every night, 2 full servings. Take the first one down before dinner, stash the second in the fridge and have it with my oatmeal in the morning. Tiny bit goes to my wife with dinner as well...the taste has yet to grow on her...which makes her a normal human being with taste.

If you're my blender or toilet you earn your keep..and your hard work is appreciated.

-cup whatever leafy green
-full tomato
-half bell pepper
-banana
-chia seeds
-goji berries
-half avacado
-Tbsp Udo's oil
-frozen broccoli and/or other frozen veggie
-frozen berries
-serving vega choco protein
-sprinkle turmeric (you cant taste it)
-cinnimon
-sprinkle cayenne pepper (I love the slight heat behind all the sweet from the fruit/protein powder)

Thats a common version..but more times than not it is a "kitchen sink" smoothie..so whatever I have and can get into the blender quickly. Looks like a ton of stuff, and it kinda is but I can throw it together in under 2 minutes, 30 second blend, slam it, and be at the dinner table with the wife and kiddo without missing much of a beat.

Not even a vitamix..just a regular blender thats been churning away for a few years now.

Anyhow it certainly puts a spring in my step after drinking it, and is packed of enough good stuff that the taste penalty is a minor inconvenience.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the gumbo of smoothies. I also imagine it would go down easier with a clothespin on the nose to dull the taste. But, it gets the job done, and I can appreciate the utilitarian nature of that recipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try making your own full fat greek yogurt. It's super easy!

Gently heat one gallon organic, whole milk to 180 degrees F.
Cool to about 115 degrees F.
Stir in one half cup plain active yogurt with live cultures.
Cover bowl with a dish towel and place in your oven, door closed, oven light on. Let sit overnight. The oven light provides all the warmth needed to grow the cultures.
In the morning, you will have a bowl of yogurt!
To make greek yogurt, line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth. Gently pour or scoop the yogurt into the colander. Gather the cheesecloth up, twist loosely and secure with a twist tie.
Place the colander in a bowl to catch the whey. Place in fridge to cool and drain the whey. You can save the whey and drink it, add it to smoothies, soup, feed to your dog. Whatever.
The yogurt will take a few hours to drain. If it's too thick for your liking, stir a little of the whey back in. Store the yogurt in a covered container and enjoy. It is the best yogurt ever!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
That is the gumbo of smoothies. I also imagine it would go down easier with a clothespin on the nose to dull the taste. But, it gets the job done, and I can appreciate the utilitarian nature of that recipe.

Thanks. That's exactly what I appreciate about it - utilitarian and gets the job done. Honestly the taste is not horrible at all, though if you look at that laundry list of ingredients it looks like a complete taste bud train wreck. A lot of it is overpowered by the sweetness from the fruit and protein powder. You can tell it's there if you try really hard, or if you dont have a ton of frozen berries/veggies in there to keep the temp in check, but netted out it goes down much smoother than you would expect...and it's kinda fun racing against the clock..at about 30 seconds out of the blender the turmeric starts to fade in....GO!
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [TriMomof5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been doing

1/3 cup greek full fat yogurt
tablespoon chia
tablespoon ground flax
handful of bluberries
handful of chopped pineapple
handful of raspberries
2 handfuls of kale or whatever mixed spring greens
1 scoop of powdered super green shit
water

sometimes mangoes vs pineapples, sometimes i add ginger, sometimes i add whatever is starting to go bad in the fridge.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you're my blender or toilet you earn your keep..and your hard work is appreciated. "

Thats awesome. With those ingredients I can only wonder how you tell the two appliances apart.

-cup whatever leafy green
-full tomato
-half bell pepper
-banana
-chia seeds
-goji berries
-half avacado
-Tbsp Udo's oil
-frozen broccoli and/or other frozen veggie
-frozen berries
-serving vega choco protein
-sprinkle turmeric (you cant taste it)
-cinnimon
-sprinkle cayenne pepper (I love the slight heat behind all the sweet from the fruit/protein powder)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking with this recipe you have absolutely NO problems with regularity. No sir, none at all. Might have to try this one to see what the wife thinks of the "smell in the downstairs den after a workout" now...

Swanson234 wrote:
To all those vigilantly waiting for an update on my smoothie threads which brought so much smoothie related intellectual insight, I ve updated my smoothie profile:

So this is an updated version of my smoothie I sip throughout day as a sort of MRE when I can't eat a full meal:

1 cup organic chia seeds
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups w g oats
Lots of spinach
Random fruit of the day for flavor and variety (usually blueberries or strawberries)
Water

I wanted to go full fat Greek yogurt but the only place I found it was at an out of way health food store and it was massively overpriced. F ing wal mart here doesn't cater to us organic, all natural health freak types.....I asked to see the manager about this. Oh yeah I couldn't quit dairy - I found I absolutely could not do it because it goes so god damn well w nat peanutbutter - my favorite desert.

Note to all trolls and haters: please be creative and witty....I expect a higher caliber of troll in my smoothie threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 grams protein powder
fruit usually blueberry and or rasberry or whatever to to add a little change
a few walnuts or almonds
water or water with some sparkling / flavored water
most importantly small handfull of whole coffee beans for some texture
blend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of handfuls of Kale, blended first into a thick green slime.
Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast
Couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed
Add two cups of frozen mango juice <- pour and refreeze two new cups for the next day
Add strawberries, pineapple, banannas, whatever fruits are in the fridge
Blend
The two cups of the frozen juice make for a icy smooth drink!
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys sure put a lot into your smoothies! I keep it simple.

Vanilla Almond Milk
Banana
Mango or Papaya or berries
Chia seeds
Honey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blend the following (I use organic local produce when possible)

Fruit smoothie
  1. One lemon
  2. Two oranges
  3. 1 1/2 cups concord grapes
  4. Seeds and pulp from one pomegranate
  5. 1/2 to 1 cup coconut water (sometimes use the water from a fresh coconut)
  6. 1 tbsp coconut oil
  7. 2 tbsp hemp seed powder

Vegetable juice (haven't tried this in a smoothie yet). I experiment with the amount of each veggie to keep tweaking the taste (sometimes add more carrots, tomatoes and cayenne pepper. Use a Champion juicer to juice the following:
  1. Five large juicer carrots
  2. One large purple beet (or golden)
  3. One large slicing or beefsteak tomato
  4. One tomatillo
  5. Two radishes
  6. 1/2 to 1 cayenne pepper (or banana, jalapeno or serrano)
  7. One red bell pepper (or green, purple or yellow)
  8. Four large stalks of celery
  9. Two large stalks of rainbow chard (sometimes use kale or collard)
  10. Two cups spinach leaves with stems
  11. One cup of parsley

Once I've juiced everything, I'll drink about a quart of the juice and freeze the leftovers. To my drink, I add 2 to 4 tbsp hemp seed powder and 1 tbsp flax seed oil.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [TriMomof5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or just buy regular full fat yogurt and strain. Or don't strain and get the whey with all the good stuff in it, just less protein per ounce.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys sure put a lot into your smoothies! I keep it simple.

Mine:
Milk
Chocolate
Shot of espresso (optional)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question - I dont make a lot of smoothies because I hate cleaning the darn blender! What do you smoothie regular folks do about it?
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just rinse it out really quick to get all the initial gunk out, fill it with hot water and soap and put it on the slowest setting. Let it run for 45 seconds and then rinse it. You're good to go.

My smoothie:
2-3 huge handfuls of spinach/kale/whatever
1 banana (or avocado)
handful of frozen berries
one cup of almond milk
scoop of plant based protein (hemp/pea/rice blend)
scoop of ground flax seed

I just finished one right now. It was fantastic.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

1 cup organic chia seeds
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups w g oats
Lots of spinach
Water

Are you sure you are sipping that and not using a fork?
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Swanson234 wrote:

1 cup organic chia seeds
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups w g oats
Lots of spinach
Water

Are you sure you are sipping that and not using a fork?

Haha yeah it is very thick. It's more like gogurt. I heat it up sometimes to make it more liquidy. Good thing about thickness is that it's more satiating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 cup of chia seeds with a 1/2 cup of flax? Hate to go here but you must own stock in charmin ?
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's the peanut butter?

Without struggle you wouldn't know your strengths.
Quote Reply

Prev Next