Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One arm riding setup
Quote | Reply
Anybody ever rig a bike for one-arm riding? Right arm in my case.

My thought is...put a bar end shifter on right bar to shift front chainring. Put a cyclo-cross style brake lever just right of the stem for the front brake.

I can ride with full weight on my right arm, and I can lightly hold on with the left.

The goal here is to do a half IM on an injured left shoulder. I can swim one-armed. Already tested it.

Other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: One arm riding setup [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashburn wrote:

My thought is...put a bar end shifter on right bar to shift front chainring. Put a cyclo-cross style brake lever just right of the stem for the front brake.

I can ride with full weight on my right arm, and I can lightly hold on with the left.

The goal here is to do a half IM on an injured left shoulder. I can swim one-armed. Already tested it.

Other ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're injured and not hurt. My thoughts are stay off the road if you have to jury rig a bike to ride one armed to compensate for an injured shoulder. I think the risks of crashing and hurting yourself or someone else is very high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ashburn wrote:

Other ideas?

Is it really worth it to race? 56 miles is a long ways to ride on one arm. 1.2 miles is a long ways to swim with one arm. IMO, you seriously risk injuring your right shoulder.

Depending on how your shoulder is injured, the run could REALLY beat it up.

IMO, not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ashburn wrote:

1x 11 set up - not too hard to work out appropriate gear range
Or Di2 - satellite shifter for front up beside the rear shifter
Or find a gripshift or MTB lever to use for front on left side if you don't want to throw quite as much $ as those ideas.

Use a cable splitter to activate both brakes with one lever (slight lag from rear to front). It doesn't get discussed much but all this stuff common for paracycling/Tri
Quote Reply
Re: One arm riding setup [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
Sounds like you're injured and not hurt. My thoughts are stay off the road if you have to jury rig a bike to ride one armed to compensate for an injured shoulder. I think the risks of crashing and hurting yourself or someone else is very high.

Ok, I have admit I hadn't considered this. I'm not going to do it. I'll not be able to handle my bike 100%. I could go down and take someone with me. Or somebody could make a minor error that I could normally dodge, but instead I hit them.

Good point. Convincing point. I'll have my repair surgery as scheduled this Thursday and go up and cheer everyone on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is obviously the right decision...but...personally, I know this would be selfish but I would consider the course. If it's flat, and not technical, and assuming you will be slow on the swim, there may not be many people on the course if you are bop. Or maybe just do the swim and call it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I broke my left elbow, I had a brace made for it so I could compete at Kona in 2011. I could lock the brace into the 120-degree angle needed to be aero on the bike, and I could shift the big ring. Made it hard to take in food with all the wind, because I couldn't let go the right arm and the left wouldn't bend enough to reach my face. But the setup worked fine. The brace was covered by insurance.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call. Here is what one armed braking looks like.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: One arm riding setup [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OUCH! It took me a while to figure out why his brakes seemed to be reversed. What a perfectly placed camera. I presume the camera was there in case cars harass the riders?
Quote Reply
Re: One arm riding setup [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Is it bad I LOLed?
Quote Reply
Re: One arm riding setup [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that question -- I can't really answer it, but I feel much better. I could not stop hitting replay and laughing each time. Hope the guy was ok. I've gone over the handlebars twice myself, for stupid reasons.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply