Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Once more, meanwhile in Canada
Quote | Reply
Some FOG (fat old guy) has a Calgary 70.3 race. Ya know it was the 'other' WTC race in Western Canada last Sunday...

I'm gonna keep this simple. Went into the water needing to pee, swam the new course. Hey, this water is way warmer than even Lake McKenzie from last year. Wonderful swim, actually loved the cruise pace I set. No PR here, didn't set out to do that. BTW, forgot to pee on the swim. Also made an observation regarding swim pace, dear fellow triathletes do yourselves a favor go race a 1500 SCM or at the very least a few 800 SCM's. Save yourselves, get the pace right.

Got on the bike with one goal save my legs. I tried to do this by going easy on the hill climbs. I'm a big guy, so I get passed lots going up and a bit of passing going down. Top decent speed for the day 72.4 on the Priddis Hill, blocked in, on the pursuits being passed by a car so I couldn't pass 3 bikes ahead of myself. Nice thing about that - I carried the speed a 1/3rd of the way up the other side :) Once past Bragg Creek, it's all down hill - I used my size to my advantage reeled in a few of my wee passers. Chose to wear my watch rather than have it easy to see on the bike. Paid for that dearly on the run.

The Run

Hmmm, the run or more accurately walk. I have a natural cycling cadence that's about 90-95 rpm, it's where I bike best at (BTW my bike pace was 2 km faster than last year) problem is - although I bike great at 90-95 I can't run to save my ass off of that. Bike computer would have been nice to look at. Sentenced to a walk with cramping legs, sore back and an upset stomach. But hey I got caught up by a fellow club member and she guilted me into running the last 2km and crossing the finish line together. So that was a bit special.

The after...

Rule Number 1 for Calgary 70.3 your day clothes bag must contain beer money. Success there! 1 Calgary 70.3 beer and 3 Village Brewery taste tests later (the Wit is the best) we headed home.

That's it, that's all - btw my time sucked. Sorry ain't sharing it. No one will care in 2 weeks any way!
Quote Reply
Re: Once more, meanwhile in Canada [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy to run a run right now, laid up with a stress fracture. Calgary 70.3 is on my list of races to do, got family in the Great White North so I'm looking to make it an all around trip.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so many folks who for various reasons were not able to race would love to have your story.
No matter how "slow" our race is, we are ahead of 99% of the rest of the population.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FOG#2 here. Same Participation event.

Shocked the shit out of myself when I got out of the water. Musta been all the pretty pink caps I was trying to get close to as they went by. About a 3 minute PB on the swim.

I was my usual slow ass self in T1 but got on the bike ahead of my goal time.

I too like to ride at 90+ rpm although I drop way down on the hills. Even other FOGs were passing me heading up. But, getting comfy on the way back, I had my rpms up to the 95 or higher mark, hitting over 35kph (which for me is good), on under 120 watts. Should be fresh for the run after that - right! Well, at bike aid #2, I did multiple stupid things which resulted in me falling as I couldn't get my shoes unclipped - knee scuffed a bit but, when I fell I broke the front of my cleat off resulting in me not being able to "clip in". My foot would only float on the slippery surface of the pedal so if I didn't drop my heel while pedaling, my foot would shoot off the pedal - more scrapes on the shins and, it would take a few seconds to reposition my foot. Net result, I was behind my target time although still 1 kph faster average speed over last year (NP3).

T2 - slow as usual but stopped for a pee break which I needed.

Started out OK on the run but it was faster than I could sustain. For some dumb reason I was still trying to push to make my overall goal even though I was behind and my poor run would have had to be stellar to keep me on track. It wasn't. It pretty much took me till about the 6 to 7 Km mark to realize I was out here to have some fun and to throw away what had now become an unresonable goal. So, I switched to "just finish and enjoy it" mode. That in turn resulted in a lot more walking. But, the day was pretty warm and it really as a gorgeous day. At the half way turn around I ran forwards toward it and at the cone I ran backwards for a few steps. I did however, set a PW but I was way ahead of all the DNS, DNF and DQs who had no time :). And a bit ahead of DFL.

Oh I then went out and did a 40 Km bike on Tuesday and for some reason, my run pace on Wednesday was really slow!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Best race report I have read in a long while! That speed, 72.4 is kph right? Again, congratulations.
Quote Reply
Re: Once more, meanwhile in Canada [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes 72.4 at Priddis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80.1 km/h at the bottom of the hill at about the 38.5 km mark! Yahoo!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Once more, meanwhile in Canada [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pucker factor on that descent is phenomenal! I just wish I hadn't gotten blocked in by an SUV. I was chest up, on the pursuits and just flying. Shouldn't complain thought, the SUV was giving us more room than we deserved.
Quote Reply