Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones
Quote | Reply
I just recently installed my Zipp 808's that used to be on my Speed Concept, onto my 2017 CAAD12. Before that, I put Mavic Cosmic Carbone on this bike. As far as looks and appearance, the Zipp 808's really make this bike look sick. I got so many other bikers just staring at this, gawking. But little do they know, I hate these wheels because it feels like I am riding through mud. They just feel so heavy, I can't accelerate as fast, can't corner as well, and any hills even small ones I get dropped. The Cosmic Carbone's just seem like the perfect all around wheel. It does everything the Zipp does except maybe on the flats it is a bit slower.

But since I do not race, I was fine just tooling around and riding slow through the bike trail. However, today I rode with a guy I see from time to time on the trail. We decided to ride together but I could tell he was a good rider and he likes to go very fast. I had no problems on the flats but the corners he was peddling through them while I was coasting. I didn't have the skills or the confidence to ride like that. Then, on some of the trail there were gentle rolling hills and it really sucked because he was pulling away from me slowly but surely. Anyway, he was a little cocky because when I asked him how fast we were going, he would tell me how fast he was going when he passed me.

anyway, do you all agree that for a road bike, the Cosmic Carbone's is probably a better wheel set then the 808's? I seldom see guys with dish wheels that deep on a road bike. The reason the 808's seemed fine on my Trek Speed Concept was because I only go in a straight line and I avoid hills and I only ride on flat roads. But after getting my first experience with a guy who likes the twisty roads, it seems the 808's is the wrong wheel set.

But I have to also ask myself, do I really want to ride with a guy who rides through the bike trail so recklessly? the way he attacks those corners i feel it will only be a matter of time before he hits a stone or a twig and wipe out. I also don't like how he goes though corners not knowing who is behind the blind corners. That said, it would be foolish I feel to continue to ride with someone who is fast fast fast because I think the faster you go on a twisty bike trail, it will only be a matter of time before a crash occurs. I always ride slow through the trails.

Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too high.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of Mavics. That said, I suspect 404s would be a better choice than 808s. None of these 3 wheel choices are gone make much difference. He's probably just faster than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too low or your frame is too big. Also, you are losing speed with that white bar/stem combo. Black would be much faster.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't ride with deep wheels and a round tube frame. That is a tragedy. Get an aero road frame and hide all this silly cables.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Your seat is too low or your frame is too big. Also, you are losing speed with that white bar/stem combo. Black would be much faster.

How can the bar/stem combo make a difference? Are you joking or serious? It does feel a little cramped position wise. My seat was a bit too high in this picture and I lowered it even more so now it fits better. Not sure why if the frame is almost same height as my seat would make a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I'm not a fan of Mavics. That said, I suspect 404s would be a better choice than 808s. None of these 3 wheel choices are gone make much difference. He's probably just faster than you.

Yep he is a better rider than me. But that's all he does is cycle. I run every morning and then I ride at later afternoon. This morning I did 6 sets of 800m track intervals(running) so my legs were not fresh. I was riding his wheel for the majority of the ride so he actually had to use more energy. After we were going up the slow rolling hill, he finally waived me ahead and managed to give him the 2 minute break he needed and then I started to tire out from the heavy feel of the wheels. I know my Cosmic Carbones I made the same trip up this rolling hill and I didn't feel as gassed but anyway once he recovered he was all balls out again, just peddling like a madman.

anyway how come you don't like Mavics? I have read issues with bearings needing frequent maintenance and I can tell my 808 zipps roll forever where the Cosmic seems to have bearings that have sand inside. They just don't spin as freely
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Your seat is too high.

Yep you were right. My seat was too high and I lowered it. Another person said my frame was too big but if the seat is low enough where I got proper knee angle I don't understand why the frame should be much smaller.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
You can't ride with deep wheels and a round tube frame. That is a tragedy. Get an aero road frame and hide all this silly cables.

are you being serious? I never heard of anybody putting it quite like that, that you can't ride using deep wheels with a tubular frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go away, troll
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are talking plain stupid...no clue what you are talking about!
I won 30 races in one year on a Caad 10 with 85mm wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
You are talking plain stupid...no clue what you are talking about!
I won 30 races in one year on a Caad 10 with 85mm wheels.

I am not a racer and I do not compete in any cycling events. I am primarily a runner but nevertheless I don't see many professional tour riders racing 808's for road bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obvious troll is ...obvious ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh 2/10 attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't talking to you....I was speaking in reference to the guy that criticized you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I wasn't talking to you....I was speaking in reference to the guy that criticized you

Oh I didn't know. There are a lot of folks on this forum that seem more interested in disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing rather than really trying to help. For me, going back to the Cosmic Carbone seems like the natural choice for everyday riding. The Zipp 808's on a road bike, I guess if you have the leg strength it's a great wheel but I am not a powerful rider so I think the 60mm Carbone SLE seems more appropriate in spite of the fact they don't look as cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However...you may want to check your frame size/ Seat height ratio.?
This is mine...National Record Holder...Professional Grand Tour Cyclist for a career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I know...I have seen my friends...numerous world champions...people that were trying to help.,,,run off by all the assholes on this forum over the last decade or more that hide behind the veil of the internet. There are still very knowledgeable people around ..but they are a minority.
I wouldn't use this forum to gain accurate information. There are many better resources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race crits with 808, no problems with them to become fast in the sprints. In order to corner fast short cranks are important.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Jul 25, 17 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...In my day...we crushed crits...with an 808 upfront and a 1080 on the back.... fastest combo I ever experienced...but we were all running 175mm....
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Also, you are losing speed with that white bar/stem combo. Black would be much faster.

You win 1 internet today, dude.
This should be someone's sig.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:

But I have to also ask myself, do I really want to ride with a guy who rides through the bike trail so recklessly? the way he attacks those corners i feel it will only be a matter of time before he hits a stone or a twig and wipe out. I also don't like how he goes though corners not knowing who is behind the blind corners. That said, it would be foolish I feel to continue to ride with someone who is fast fast fast because I think the faster you go on a twisty bike trail, it will only be a matter of time before a crash occurs. I always ride slow through the trails.

I am totally with you on this.....

Otherwise you are totally worrying about the wrong things:

You should be worried about having the right skinsuit, aero helmet and shoe covers way more than about wheel depth.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 25, 17 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your riding buddy crushed your soul on the MUP
Last edited by: walie: Jul 25, 17 22:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a trispoke?
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Have you considered a trispoke?

I have Hed3 Plus on order and when I get them hopefully by end of this month, they will be on this bike not my Roadie.

Quote Reply

Prev Next