Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Omega brake stopping power?
Quote | Reply
I am considering buying Tri Rig Omega brakes for my Tri bike. I need feedback, please.
1. What brake levers are you using?
2. How is the stopping power (compared to Ultegra)?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zeusrun wrote:
I am considering buying Tri Rig Omega brakes for my Tri bike. I need feedback, please.

1. the old style tiny vision crab claws
2. good but not quite as good as a normal caliper

I was using Version 2 of the omega arms, version 3 which you would get if you ordered a new one has been beefed up, so might be a little better.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should note that the levers used, as well as the rim surface and brake pad all conspire to have a significant effect on braking performance. The best levers I've personally tested so far are the Shimano BL-TT78 (alloy) and BL-TT79 (carbon) - the latter is the same lever integrated into all Di2 brake levers. These levers pull more cable than others, and therefore give you more effective power for the same amount of lever throw. The best rim/pad combo would be alloy rims with the included Kool Stop Salmon pads. For carbon rims, I recommend SwissStop Black Prince.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as good as Ultegra, but way better than most integrated brakes. I have Di2 levers with the Omega and find they have plenty of stopping power. Sadly, I've had to skid stop with them a couple of times due to idiots on the bike path. Brake pads make a big difference. My Enve pads suck, but the Swiss Stop I use with carbon clinchers have great power with the Omegas.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Last edited by: allenpg: Oct 24, 14 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used BL-TT78 levers (slight reach adjustment for my smaller hands, so not full lever travel) with an Omega front brake (verson 1) and opted to switch back to my Ultegra 6700 brake and deal with the minor drag penalty. Wheels were either Hed Belgium rims and the stock Kool Stop Salmon pads, or 404 Firecrests and Zipp's cork pads. Braking wasn't really up to snuff for me and other minor finickiness turned me off so I sold it.
Last edited by: BeeSeeBee: Oct 24, 14 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A question, do you have a side view pic available of the cable housing support arm on your standard current model omega? Kind of like this (this is an sv):

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 24, 14 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The profile of the cable hanger on the Omega Standard hasn't changed since its introduction. So the various pictures in the site are current.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it does not look the hangar on the sv, correct? The sv hangar (pictured above) looks a bit beefier on the 90 deg. bend than the hangar on the standard omega. Any reason for the difference?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 24, 14 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. SRAM Red road 10 speed levers.
2. Nothing compares to Ultegra stopping power IME. That said, I have used dual Omegas on my S5 in Cat 3 crits and road races with good success.

I also learned in crits that you shouldn't be using your brakes anyway, so it's really a moot point. On long descents they work just fine. I have to take care to keep the mechanisms free of lube/grease because here in the PacNW it rains a lot in spring and they get all gummed up.

Previously, I used them on my P4 w/ 3T Ventus bars and levers and Nokon cabling which worked just fine as well. The front Omega was essentially my only brake as the P4 rear brake was so horrible.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
zeusrun wrote:

1. the old style tiny vision crab claws
2. good but not quite as good as a normal caliper

I was using Version 2 of the omega arms, version 3 which you would get if you ordered a new one has been beefed up, so might be a little better.

Same except I have version 3. No issues, nor is it something I've ever worried about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More than enough stopping power on alu rims and carbon rims with yellow swissstop and enve pads using Profile carbon levers.
The disadvantage compared to standard calipers (ultegra, campy) are less modularity -> difficult to get exactly the amount of braking power you want.
(Light pressure on lever = light braking. More pressure - nearly no difference. A bit more pressure = full stop)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used mine for road racing, and the power while usable left me uncomfortable in the climbing heavy races I do.

So I switched to eebrakes, and the difference is night and day. I don't think I would ever go back to using the tririgs. I am planning on 3D printing a fairing for me though just like the direct mountain aero version of the eebrake.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [ajo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
So it does not look the hangar on the sv, correct? The sv hangar (pictured above) looks a bit beefier on the 90 deg. bend than the hangar on the standard omega. Any reason for the difference?
Correct. The reason for the difference is to allow the standard Omega to fit better in the envelope of bikes like the P3, which have protruding head tubes, and still allow the user to tuck it right up against the fork, as in this picture - it can also be helpful in certain rear installations like this one. Regarding whether it's "beefy" enough, I can tell you that in the several thousand brakes we've shipped, I've never ONCE seen a crack/break at that thin point of the hanger.

ajo wrote:
More than enough stopping power on alu rims and carbon rims with yellow swissstop and enve pads using Profile carbon levers.
The disadvantage compared to standard calipers (ultegra, campy) are less modularity -> difficult to get exactly the amount of braking power you want.
(Light pressure on lever = light braking. More pressure - nearly no difference. A bit more pressure = full stop)

I would suggest this has more to do with your rim/pad combo. The Omega's cam is linear, so it should give a pretty linear response in braking, all else equal. A change in pads might change your experience drastically.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw that Tri Omega brakes are 15% off so I'm about to place an order. One last thing I need to sort out before hand....Do the brake calipers have a quick release that allows for easy removal of the wheel? I travel all the time with my bike on my roof rack and have remove the front wheel. If no quick release is there enough clearance for a wheel with a 23mm tire to get through easily? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [Herbie Handcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Handcock wrote:
I just saw that Tri Omega brakes are 15% off so I'm about to place an order. One last thing I need to sort out before hand....Do the brake calipers have a quick release that allows for easy removal of the wheel? I travel all the time with my bike on my roof rack and have remove the front wheel. If no quick release is there enough clearance for a wheel with a 23mm tire to get through easily? Thanks.
No quick release, but a lot depends on what wheels you are using. On my training wheels which are 20mm wide and 23C GP4000s I let some air out of the tire before removing (or you can bring along a 2mm allen and easily widen the pads). For racing, with the wide FLO's and GP4000s no air has let out to remove the wheel.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [Herbie Handcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No quick release. On most wide rimmed wheels you can pop a wheel off without moving the pads. You could work a barrel adjuster in there to make it a bit easier.

Herbie Handcock wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a barrel adjuster on my rear tm02 brake, but I've read that installing a barrel adjuster on a brake cable may not be the best idea. Would love to hear tririg weigh in. Also notice that as the cable stretches (I guess ) the adjuster is less and less effective
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I have a barrel adjuster on my rear tm02 brake, but I've read that installing a barrel adjuster on a brake cable may not be the best idea. Would love to hear tririg weigh in. Also notice that as the cable stretches (I guess ) the adjuster is less and less effective

there will be some downside yeah, you got more cable housings going into and out of thinks, so more slop in the system. Might make the rear brake feel pretty soft. Haven't tried it. Up front might be less of an issue.

You could set it up so the barrel adjuster as at the end of the system rather than inline (bare cable exists the adjuster).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

You do need to periodically tighten the cables at the brake as they stretch or seat in.

The adjusters do add drag. But I think that's far less critical for braking than shifting. On a road or tri bike I'm of the opinion that a either works or it doesn't. It's not like you need to regularly brake at or near threshold. "feel" at the brake lever IMO is overrated. More important is how linear/progressive it is, especially as you approach threshold. I find that 99% of the "feel" of braking is through contact points (bars and seat) not the lever

Besides, how often are your braking really hard on a tri bike. You'll get yelled at by course workers and possible get a penalty if you tried to save an extra 1s and brake really, really late coming into T2 or a sharp turn. I mean it's not like it's a race.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, at something like Miami or Nola 70.3 I don't really care. But coming down the last big hill at wildflower or one of the Silverman descents my 195# gets going pretty fast, and I am a big wuss when it comes to descending.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I have carbon TRPs.

2) I find the stopping power to be significantly less than the FSAs that came with the P2. Granted I am using Ice Blue pads supplied by Boyd Cycling (for carbon wheels). Maybe the pads listed above would actually be better. I have not taken the time to tweak and experiment much with cable tension or the internal wedge/cable anchor mechanism within the brake itself. Maybe some tweaks would enhance the stopping power.
Last edited by: apache: Nov 26, 14 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zeusrun wrote:

I went from Ultegra brakes to the Omegas and then back to the Ultegra's and here is why. My P2 is what I race and train on, I really liked the look and aero properties of the Omegas so I installed a set front and rear on said P2, I did not like how the cable fit under the aero fearing as it always seemed like an unreasonably tight fit and if the cable end hits the housing after installed it will affect brake performance. After messing with the brakes and re cabling the bike a few times to get is as good as I could I still was not happy with the brake performance. In my opinion the Omegas stopping power are far inferior to the Ultegra brakes.

If I had a race only bike I might consider the Omegas, but personally I do not feel comfortable enough with them on my primary training bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When installed properly, the exposed end of the cable should never hit the Front Plate. Regarding power, we have users report they feel like the brakes are actually stronger than Ultegra, but this seems to be subjective, as well as depend on a multitude of factors (brake levers, rims, brake pads, and proper installation). We are working on getting some quantitative data regarding actual brake strength, hopefully in the coming months.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the Omega does not seems to brake as hard but ....

My guess is that if you pull either brake fully you will end up over the bars. To achieve this more abruptly I would go with the Ultegra.

Joking aside the Omega has a more gradual feel which i quite like, there is a word for that gradual-ness, maybe Nick can help me out.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Omega brake stopping power? [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
Joking aside the Omega has a more gradual feel which i quite like, there is a word for that gradual-ness, maybe Nick can help me out.

Modulation. I've used the Omega with Vision, Ultegra Road & TT Levers without issue. The stopping power is more than adequate (Generation 1), although feel is obviously subjective.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Nov 26, 14 13:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next