Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Omega X cable routing on Shiv
Quote | Reply
Hi All. I have a 2015 Shiv with the specialized carbon aerobars. I replaced the stock side pull front brake with a TriRig Omega X front brake a while back. The cable routing on the bars is out the back near the stem, which left the cable flying out in the wind, which of course is unacceptable. The solution my LBS came up with is to zip tie the cable down to the bar, which works functionally, but the tension causes the front end to swing hard left whenever i pick up the bike, stopping only when it slams into the frame.

Anyone have a better way to run the cable? Thanks in advance











2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you drill a hole in the bottom center to route the cable through? Don't see why you couldn't with a little rubber grommet. Otherwise get the AlphaX now. 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to drill both the carbon bar and the metal piece it attaches to. I am ok with the metal mount piece, but scared to punch through the carbon.


Tri0014 wrote:
Can you drill a hole in the bottom center to route the cable through? Don't see why you couldn't with a little rubber grommet. Otherwise get the AlphaX now. 😉

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's as good as you're going to do without switching cockpits. I would not drill anything on that cockpit.

Disclaimer: I often promise photos fully intending to provide them and then get distracted. Sorry in advance :)
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats kind of what i thought.



GreenPlease wrote:
That's as good as you're going to do without switching cockpits. I would not drill anything on that cockpit.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not even as good as you can do with better zip ties.

OP seriously made his bike slower with this "mod"
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same frame (including color) and that is how I had my tririg brake set up last season. Not sure I ever noticed the turning effect you mentioned, so maybe try adjusting it. In the end I switched to the new Alpha bar and the set up is much better than the stock Shiv bars in just about every way.


______________________________________________
Team JFT, Seattle, WA
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you think i made the bike slower? can you make some suggestions for improvement?



chicanery wrote:
That's not even as good as you can do with better zip ties.

OP seriously made his bike slower with this "mod"

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was it tough to install or plug and play? do you use the tilt kit? Thanks


gregtay wrote:
I have the same frame (including color) and that is how I had my tririg brake set up last season. Not sure I ever noticed the turning effect you mentioned, so maybe try adjusting it. In the end I switched to the new Alpha bar and the set up is much better than the stock Shiv bars in just about every way.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not difficult to install at all. I have DI so it was just plugging in some wires and routing the brake cables. No, I didn't use the tilt kit, was planning to but didn't need it. I undermounted some Zipp extensions and it turned out where I needed things.


______________________________________________
Team JFT, Seattle, WA
Last edited by: gregtay: Aug 14, 17 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that looks great, I have a 1x SRAM setup (bought the Pro race 1x from Specialized) , next upgrade was going to be eTap, may do cockpit first. Thanks


gregtay wrote:
Not difficult to install at all. I have DI so it was just plugging in some wires and routing the brake cables. No, I didn't use the tilt kit, was planning to but didn't need it. I undermounted some Zipp extensions and it turned out where I needed things.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was the same drivetrain(same setup from the factory)... ripped it off and installed Ultrgra Di. Nice bike👍


______________________________________________
Team JFT, Seattle, WA
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X cable routing on Shiv [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two downward facing zip tie heads isn't a ton of drag, but it's also not irrelevant.

I would just remove the zip tie for now and see what can be done with a file to help add some flexibility to the angle that the cable exits the base bar.

Tririg bars are great on a Shiv. I am running that configuration myself and it's extremely clean. Long term, I am going to take those off and put them on a Softride, and put some Ventus back on, but they have been an excellent setup IMO.
Quote Reply