Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic and 70.3 run volume...
Quote | Reply
What is everyone pushing for their half iron and/or Olympic weekly run volumes?

On top of this - what zone do you train in MOST...
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the answers will range from 10-65 mpw. There is a better question or two you could have asked if you are looking to see what you should be running.

Zones are so last decade. You should be running the majorioty of your miles easy/aerobic effort. To quote AC: It's an aerobic sport damn it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80-95ks a week...but I'm a pro.

All easy (4.45-5.15 min k/s) apart from (in this last 6 week block)

8x3mins at 5k pace (2min walk reco)

and 8x4mins at 10k pace (2min jog reco)

those are seperate sessions

Quote | Reply
Willrc91 wrote:
80-95ks a week...but I'm a pro.

What does that mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big weeks are 45ish miles. Normal is more around 30-35. A lot of easier running.
off season I might put the bike down for a few weeks to put in a run focus block and push up to 70-80 miles. At those volumes, even greater portions are easy.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have to balance a job or study Etc.

That mileage wouldn't be advisable for most age groupers.

Quote | Reply
I don't follow a strict training schedule, so I am anywhere from 15-30 mpw, depending on circumstances (weather, races, work).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Olympic plan that I have used in the past averages around 15 mpw, with peak weeks around 20.

I pretty much go off the McMillan charts for my training paces, based off my most recent stand alone 5K results.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The amount that you should be running now is a function of how much you ran in the past. Not the race you're training for.

If you ran in college, you already put good miles in and can focus on swimming and biking and should just focus on maintaining run fitness. If you don't have a running background, you simply need to be running more than you were before. Averaged 20mpw last year? Shoot for 30 this year. Averaged 40mpw last year? Shoot for 50 this year. Adding about 10mpw to your weekly average over each year is a reasonable progression. But if you're fit, strong, and not fat - you can probably afford to go from 30 to 50-60mpw in a single year. High school and college kids do it all the time. The off season is a good time to really focus on building running volume.

The bulk of your running should be fairly easy. Tempos, occasional fartleks, hilly runs, and progressive long runs are the meat and potatoes. Track work not really necessary. If you're going to do bricks (jury is out on these), keep them short. I like to do a 1-2 mile brick at threshold pace after my long ride. More for coordination and mental prep than any expected physiological benefit.

Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

On top of this - what zone do you train in MOST...

1. 35-40 miles a week, but I'm a nobody

2. Train in the MOST?...Zone 2

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious was everyone was pulling simply because I was curious.

I did a lot of swimming so I rarely swim (still in lead pack out of water) but I always get KILLED on the run. I hate tech and usually train with what I feel. Rather know my own limits than have a device telling me but I tend to push to hard - so I guess I was trying to uncover how many slow miles everyone logs haha

but now that I think about it - when I was training for a marathon and doing slow volumes - my 5k and 10k did get way faster. hmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you could look at it this way:

Run as much as you are capable of doing while not hurting yourself up to 20-25% of your bike milage.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [Willrc91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you would consider your run training program polarized. Do you approach bike training in a similar manner, and if so, how many hard bike sessions per week do you average? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's going to vary depending on a range of factors, but generally speaking triathletes don't run enough and invest enough time in running over the long term (6 months to 1 year chunks of time)

If you are new to the sport, and have not come from a running back ground - just get out there and run 5 - 6 days/week.

As Desert Dude had said via a quote, this is an aerobic sport - many WAY over think this. 90% of AG triathletes will get to 90- 95% of their best performance, by just putting in more time, over time. It's not that complicated!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [Willrc91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willrc91 wrote:
I don't have to balance a job or study Etc.

That mileage wouldn't be advisable for most age groupers.

i know many AGers with that run volume and more with a full time job. In fact many B level Pro's have to work jobs cause this sport doesnt pay well like others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer for everyone is "as high as possible"*

The more important question is "how do you balance run-bike stress optimally between oly and 70.3?"

*well there are a few who can run too much to improve without injury but they are few and far between

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One runs as much and as hard as:
1) One wants too
2) One is able to effectively recover from

My running volume is identical regardless of the race I am training for.
Going long involves trading intensity and frequency for increased average duration.
Going short involves greater frequency and intensity but shorter average volume.

I also think it is a huge mistake to make radical changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 plus running miles per week plus equivalent swimming and biking? Age groupers with jobs?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-50 mpw on 5 runs per week for me. Due to time constraints I normally do 3 brick runs of 7-8 miles, a 8-12 mile tempo, and a 13-16 mile long run. Occasionally I'll throw in mile repeats instead of the tempo. Running is my strength. I had fastest run in my age group at Chatt 70.3 this year.

I'm curious as to how long of a long run do other strong 70.3 runners do each week. I'm self coached and just kinda do what I feel works for me. If I could only swim I'd be dangerous :)

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
40-50 mpw on 5 runs per week for me. Due to time constraints I normally do 3 brick runs of 7-8 miles, a 8-12 mile tempo, and a 13-16 mile long run. Occasionally I'll throw in mile repeats instead of the tempo. Running is my strength. I had fastest run in my age group at Chatt 70.3 this year.

I'm curious as to how long of a long run do other strong 70.3 runners do each week. I'm self coached and just kinda do what I feel works for me. If I could only swim I'd be dangerous :)

My run training is identical to yours.
If I am training for an Ironman my long run will be 18 (usually after a 1/2 bike).
Oddly, running is my weakness.
But that is probably because of a lack of talent. (Not poor training).
Fortunately, my swim is good and I am occassionally dangerous (at least in my AG).
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

This year my coach and I worked hard in the winter months leading up to the season and put in like 45-50 mile weeks all the time then during most of the season maintained fitness by 35-40 mile weeks because I needed to get my bike fitness up because I was too far behind off the bike a lot of times. Most of the runs were z2 runs but then gradually added in tempo and some speed sessions. I would end up getting 16-17 miles on a day but that would be split between two runs. I am now putting in 60+ mile weeks leading up to the Chicago Marathon. But your plans seems pretty solid!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually keep a 5:1 ratio of biking to running mileage, but then I'm pretty even in ability between those two.

About 85% of my run miles very easy aerobic pace, and the rest at or below race pace.

Because of my work schedule I have to do a LOT of brick training. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for most AGers because it can really tear you down. However, I do often enjoy a good swim/run brick, jumping out of the pool and going right into a solid 6-7 miler. That's probably my favorite workout of the week.

And I totally agree about zones. I know this is ST, but when running don't worry so much about a number, just learn to run by feel and know your body.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic and 70.3 run volume... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

It's going to vary depending on a range of factors, but generally speaking triathletes don't run enough and invest enough time in running over the long term (6 months to 1 year chunks of time)

If you are new to the sport, and have not come from a running back ground - just get out there and run 5 - 6 days/week.

As Desert Dude had said via a quote, this is an aerobic sport - many WAY over think this. 90% of AG triathletes will get to 90- 95% of their best performance, by just putting in more time, over time. It's not that complicated!

This!!!

Just get out there and run, don't give a stuff how fast you are running..actually it should be on the slow end of the spectrum, the sub 14.45 5k runners in my squad do most of their runs at 4.50-5.15 per K pace for their easy runs-- most age groupers fall into the mistake of doing their easy runs too fast and caring what pace they are running at.

Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

My run training is identical to yours.
If I am training for an Ironman my long run will be 18 (usually after a 1/2 bike).
Oddly, running is my weakness.
But that is probably because of a lack of talent. (Not poor training).
Fortunately, my swim is good and I am occasionally dangerous (at least in my AG).

Ummm, i realize that "it's all relative" but even at that i don't think most guys who've run a 2:52 mary at age 40-ish would say that "running is my weakness". I mean really, a 2:52 mary is pretty fast for most AG-ers of any age:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next