Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Older people doing triathlon
Quote | Reply
I'm writing a blog post on old people and what they should be doing better so they don't get lazy and start slowing down at triathlon. I've noticed a pattern that the older someone gets the lazier they get and are then slower they are at triathlon. I think if they stop complaining about young people as much and workout more they will be much faster. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give me some testosterone to compensate and I'll get back to you (61 yrs)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get off my lawn.
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Get off my lawn.

If you stop using the hairdryer on your undercarriage...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ey-y-y, can't hear you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you call old?
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [Val.535] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do u call old? really ! you have no idea what old is. I'm certainly not old..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
I'm writing a blog post on old people and what they should be doing better so they don't get lazy and start slowing down at triathlon. I've noticed a pattern that the older someone gets the lazier they get and are then slower they are at triathlon. I think if they stop complaining about young people as much and workout more they will be much faster. Thoughts?

Come back in 25 years and you'll have your answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [Val.535] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Val.535 wrote:
What do you call old?

I said older so X+1 where X is your age
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those dang Gen X'rs
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said older so X+1 where X is your age

jaretj wrote:
Those dang Gen X'rs

Those dang Gen X+1'ers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:

Old and in the way, that's what I heard them say...
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad somebody got that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh..type that in bigger font, can't find my glasses

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an odd post. I dont know what AG 'older people' refers to but to suggest they are lazier is a bit of a generalisation surely.
On the other hand it could be argued that they optimise their training and recovery to get the best out of their ageing bodies.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the longer recovery times aren't really longer recovery times, they're over-stretched periods of laziness!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My knees think I'm old.........................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this in response to Mark Allen saying that he is writing a blog post on "how social media is hampering young people from coming into endurance sports the way they used to before cell phones"?

If so, I am not sure how you can take that as a complaint against young people and rebut that with a response picking on older people. Perhaps I am reading more into your original post than I should be...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, of course we're slower! We have to spend time correcting you young people on how easy you have it nowadays. That's the problem with young people - they're all slackers!

Now when I started in triathlon, it was different. Back then you had to be tough! The swim, of course, wasn't too bad provided you could punch the man-eating fish before they gnawed your arms off. But the bike was more difficult because we didn't actually have legs - we hadn't evolved that far yet! But we gutted it out, not like you whippersnappers. At least the run was doable, but that's what you'd expect when you have to walk 20 miles every day to get to school!

And it was uphill!

Both ways!

Through 2 feet of snow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant answer for anyone but me. I have seen a lack of drive and a little lethargy creep in since I had shingles in 2016. I still occasionally have achiness in my joints and general malaise. It takes more effort to push myself out the door to train. I am a month shy of 58, and didnt expect to feel like this for another 10 years. At least. But, here I am.

But, I still love to get out for a workout and compete, so will keep going as long as I am able. Just bought a new Felt IA yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Never quit.

Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
Is this in response to Mark Allen saying that he is writing a blog post on "how social media is hampering young people from coming into endurance sports the way they used to before cell phones"?

If so, I am not sure how you can take that as a complaint against young people and rebut that with a response picking on older people. Perhaps I am reading more into your original post than I should be...

It's just a bit of fun. That's why my posts were written in pink. Hope no-one is offended
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha @gellerche. This had me laughing my face off :')
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

It's just a bit of fun. That's why my posts were written in pink. Hope no-one is offended

No sorry, I am not offended. I just took the pink as an indication of sarcasm in response to Mark's post (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6558467#p6558467) which you had responded to five minutes prior to starting this thread. I did not read your post as mocking old people. I read it as mocking Mark Allen. So while I am not offended, I am disappointed that one of the greats in our sport choose to contribute to our community and received a sarcastic response. I think as a community we would be well served welcoming voices like Mark's. That doesn't mean you need to agree with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Older people doing triathlon [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Mark is a lighthearted individual. If it was his first time posting then I didn't realise that. If he's on here regularly he would be used to the sarcasm.

I will edit it with a footnote to soften the tone, thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next