Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Older HED Trispoke
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Renn disc and HED Trispoke this morning. Based on some online reading and the numbers etched inside the rim it looks like it may be from 2002. I normally race on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's. I am curious if anyone can fill me in on some details about the HED wheel and how it would compare to what I normally use.

I am trying to load a picture from my phone but it says it is to large. Not sure if it will help or not but I will try it again from my computer this evening.
Last edited by: LSchmitt: Feb 18, 17 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Older HED Trispoke [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be very fast as long as it has a narrow enough tire/tub.
Quote Reply
Re: Older HED Trispoke [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How narrow would you say is narrow enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:

20mm

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Be sure not to put it in backwards. Valve goes on the right-hand side.'

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming it is a clincher, Conti SS 20mm is the tire. Stock up with 2 or 3 because they probably won't be around for too long with the move to wide rims. This is still one of the fastest front wheels in low yaw applications.
Quote Reply
Re: Older HED Trispoke [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
LSchmitt wrote:

20mm

^^^^This.

The HED/Specialized trispoke design is still one of the fastest front wheels you can get. Still used by lots of top TTers.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Feb 18, 17 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Older HED Trispoke [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is a clincher with an aluminum brake track. Ended up getting the disc and HED for 400 which seemed like it would be a fairly good upgrade. The disc only had a couple of time trials on it and that is it. I will start doing some searching and stock up. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The H3/Renn combo has been the classic Slowtwitch wheel set-up since the beginning of ST. I'm a fairly recent H3 convert, after years with different Zipp front wheels. My wheel came with a new Conti SS 20mm and all I got was flats. I use Conti GP4000 20front/23rear and give up a little on the rolling resistance but have better flat protection.

The H3 design is now over 20 years old and it's still one of the fastest front wheels. Renn discs have proven themselves in a lot of races. You have gotten a great deal and a huge improvement over your other wheels

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same combination but on the tubular H3 and Renn. Skinny tubulars are getting hard to find too.
Quote Reply
Re: Older HED Trispoke [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Challenge Cronos (quoted at 22mm) measured a little narrow (when new) if that helps ?

Latex tubed but not quite as true / well made as the Pro 4's I have just put on.

Pro 4's are quoted as 23mm but the eyeball test says there's more than 1mm between the two types.

Can get the vernier out if your interested.

WD :-)
Quote Reply