Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old trainer safe with carbon forks?
Quote | Reply
I need some advice from those of you in the know. So I no longer can run with an arthritic hip and have gotten back into cycling after roughly a 20 year hiatus. I have an old stationary trainer (a Performance Peak Load 3), the kind that had a front mount for the fork as well as the rear wheel assembly with a device that under tension brings the fluid resistance unit to the wheel. In looking at the current generation of trainers, they all seem to only attach at the rear wheel, with the front wheel elevated on a block, but free to move laterally to some degree. I suppose the new designs could be a cost savings or convenience feature, but I wanted to make sure it was safe to attach (and then torque through training) a carbon fork to my old trainer. I'm a bigger guy (6'5" tall and 255lbs) and plan to try to lose some of that weight over the winter months with some interval/ out of the saddle work and don't want to damage my bike if it's not recommended. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Old trainer safe with carbon forks? [skarkokc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Re: Old trainer safe with carbon forks? [skarkokc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as your fork is in good shape and not a superlight model, there should be no issues. after all it holds up out on the roads where you hit cracks, holes, rocks, etc. I imagine an argument could be made that you are going to be putting different stresses on the fork than it was intended for but my guess is that the built in safety factors in construction will cover that.

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Old trainer safe with carbon forks? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rich, I appreciate the feedback. Steve
Quote Reply