Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old or new disc?
Quote | Reply
What are the aero differences between old and new discs? I can get this Hed disc cheap, but would it still be better getting a newer disc? The frontwheel in the photo I don't know what it is, but l guess it would be better getting a u shaped for the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [Richard77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marginal differences, I'd guess on the order of a few seconds at most over 40K.

The biggest difference, however, is that the older discs are narrower, so to get full aero benefits you need to run the narrower, higher rolling resistance tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Until recently I used to have one of those older model hed disc wheels. Raced the crap out of it for years over some horrible roads. I stood up well to all the abuse I threw at it. The only reason I sold it was because I bought new tri-bike and I wanted a newer set of race wheels to go with it. Providing it is true and round there is little reason to discount it. As posted above, any aero difference between this wheel and the newer ones is probably minimum.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if I get an old narrow disc I plan on using 25 mm tires. Bad idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard77 wrote:
Even if I get an old narrow disc I plan on using 25 mm tires. Bad idea?

Personally I'd use 23mm! But it's not a bad idea in the sense that it's anything worse than giving up a few more seconds/40K.
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking in the back with part of the rim and tire being hidden behind the frame, and with the turbulence, gainings in rolling resistance and comfort would outweigh the extra drag from 25 mm tire on 19 mm rim. Probably splitting hairs anyway :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard77 wrote:
I'm thinking in the back with part of the rim and tire being hidden behind the frame, and with the turbulence, gainings in rolling resistance and comfort would outweigh the extra drag from 25 mm tire on 19 mm rim. Probably splitting hairs anyway :-)

This.

OP: Based on the limited data I've seen on such subjects, the answer is very minimal. Also the HED DEEP in that first picture is legit, albeit heavy. Those may have been the first toiroidally shaped wheels (circa early 90s I believe). From before Zipp was a factor in the wheel game. Steve Hed was way way way ahead of the curve with this stuff, RIP.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old HEDs were heavy too. 1200g or so
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KEAU wrote:
The old HEDs were heavy too. 1200g or so

Yeah, I was about to say that the difference in drag is so tiny, you might want to consider weight more than drag.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Until recently I used to have one of those older model hed disc wheels. Raced the crap out of it for years over some horrible roads. I stood up well to all the abuse I threw at it. The only reason I sold it was because I bought new tri-bike and I wanted a newer set of race wheels to go with it. Providing it is true and round there is little reason to discount it. As posted above, any aero difference between this wheel and the newer ones is probably minimum.

^^^^^This.

Tire width has much less of an impact on a disc since it is both shielded behind the seat tube and the airflow doesn't have to repeatedly vary (like with a deep-V). I know Jordan races with a 25mm tire on the rear due to the minimal drag difference, but the gains in comfort, handling, and reduced rolling resistance. Personally, I run a 23mm Conti on a 19mm Renn 575 disc.

Used discs are a great deal. Since they are race-only wheels they typically have very low mileage. The "true" discs (structural carbon, not a cover over spokes) are typically bombproof (they have to be since truing is not an option).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, i had this delima a while ago, though it was with an HED3 not a disc, but i talked to HED and they said that on a tri/tt bike, a 23mm tire on a 19mm rim is fine because the frame hides the wheel anyway. So, if you run a disc, go for it with a wider tire on the back. HED says that it doesnt affect aerodynamics

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just. Be aware that old wheels may only take thread on freewheels, not cassettes. Just check the compatibility, if it's a thread on freewheel then it won't work with 9/10/11 speed freehubs/cassettes.

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/...zps1f0c73f4.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure that the freehub versions of that disc can be converted to 11speed either.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the old disc
Quote Reply
Re: Old or new disc? [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a freewheel. I've got 34/50 in the front so if I can find a 7 speed 12-18 freewheel it should be ok.
Quote Reply