Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer
Quote | Reply
I bought a new bike early last year and my old, ~2007 Guru Crono has been sitting in my basement ever since. I briefly tried to sell the Crono but priced it too high, it went nowhere, Guru went out of business, and now it's gathering dust. I really liked the Guru and kinda hate seeing it just sitting there while I'm on the trainer on my new bike.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to unload the Crono for a low price, or park it permanently on the trainer.

I've been leaning toward converting the Guru to a trainer only bike, but I'm not sure (yet) how close I can get it to match the fit of my new Scott. How close to matching the pad x/y and seat x/y is close enough so that I don't cause problems switching between the Guru and the Scott? ±5 mm?

On the other hand I could just keep doing all my training and racing on the Scott, and possibly make a few bucks selling the Guru. The general consensus on the forum seems to be that lots of riding on a trainer won't eventually damage your frame, right?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote for selling the Guru for whatever you can if you need space. While the Scott shouldn't sustain damage on the trainer, you may burn through your rear tire if you don't have enough pressure on the wheel. As a solution, I bought a cheap wheel and cassette on Craigslist and put on a tire specific for trainers. I then swap it out when I ride outside again.

On the other hand.....the positions on the Guru and Scott can't be THAT much different if they both fit you, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to respond to this as I also recently replaced my 2007 Guru Crono with a new bike, my fit is almost identical on my new bike and I've just made the Guru a dedicated trainer bike. For what I could sell it for and just for laziness sake, to me it was a better plan to keep it. As far as being lazy, I do have a Kickr so there is a tiny extra step to taking the bike off and on the trainer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to have the fit identical, but it should be pretty close.

A dedicated trainer bike is a huge benefit for me. ZERO excuses to get on the trainer. I get a bottle, put on my shorts and shoes, and go. No swapping tires, no setting up my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't even believe this is a question.

I haven't done a triathlon in 3 years, 80% of my time is spent running, and even I have a trainer bike and an outside bike Plus a cross bike, mountain bike, and a cruiser bike. I had three others but thought that was a bit extravagant for a runner. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're really short on space, definitely use it as a trainer bike. Ride it outside for nostalgia some, too. This way, you'll always have a ready back up should your Scott need to spend a couple of days in the shop. You won't be without a bike while the Scott is being shipped to races, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Unless you're really short on space, definitely use it as a trainer bike. Ride it outside for nostalgia some, too. This way, you'll always have a ready back up should your Scott need to spend a couple of days in the shop. You won't be without a bike while the Scott is being shipped to races, either.

THIS.

having a spare bike is never a bad thing - IF you have the space.

Don't sweat (see what I did there?) the trainer bike position not being exactly the same.
I use an old beater mtb as my BTN ride - pedaling is pedalling.
Work is work.

In fact - having different positions may be a benefit, to help avoid repetitive motion issues, etc.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With only two bikes, the old bike is worth far more to you than the little money you can get by selling it. Keep it. Park it on the trainer, ride it in the rain, use it as a spare in case it takes a few days or weeks to repair your new bike.

Keep it.

If you had a stable of bikes in your garage then maybe the answer would be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta say laziness is also a pretty big motivator for using the Crono as a trainer bike. I use a dedicated trainer wheel with a trainer tire when riding inside, so whenever I want to take the Scott outside (or back in) I have to swap out for a different real wheel. Doesn't take long, but it would be nice/convenient to simply hop on the trainer or walk out the door without having to swap wheels each time.

The fit of the two bikes should be pretty close. I've been lucky to have been fit by Christopher Kautz when I ordered the Guru, and I was fit on my Scott by Jon Blyer. Both are great fitters and the fit feels pretty similar, I've just never measured to see how similar (or not). Given that people fret about a few mm here or there I wasn't sure what's reasonable when trying to match fits.

For completeness, anyone wants to take a guess at what a 10 year old Crono might go for? Ultegra components (mechanical), Vision bar and extensions, no wheels (sold already).
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty if space in the pain cave and the garage, and a trusty old road bike I'll commute on and ride in the rain.

Looks like the consensus is to keep the Guru on the trainer. For convenience sake and for the "just in case" factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer! It's so much easier than swapping out wheels/cassettes/other with the race bike. I'm in the same situation - my old frame is not quite the same as my new bike but as soon as I get off my ass and get the right stem, it'll be darn close. I love just having the bike sitting on the trainer at all times.

Plus I bring the old bike and the trainer to races now for my warm up. I'm always paranoid of something going wrong with the race bike on race day!
Last edited by: mblocher: May 2, 17 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More isn't necessarily better. We are always so consumed with owning more stuff we never stop to think if we actually need any of it. Get on the classifieds and offer up the bike for free if the new owner pays for shipping. You will help someone get into triathlon and you will feel good about yourself for years.

No, most people wouldn't do this. Unless we all start doing it....then it's the norm.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awwww. :) A person picking up a nice race bike for free has better than 50/50 intentions of reselling it for profit. I wish we lived in your world. But we don't.

Besides proper solution to consumerism would have been not buying a replacement bike in the first place. Not, what to do with the old bike. Too late.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That attitude is what's wrong with the world:)
Last edited by: Ralph20: May 2, 17 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then it's settled: I'll be giving away both my old Guru and the new Plasma and doing all my training and racing on the old road bike. You know, for the children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a trick question. Sell it for a LOT of money to some sucker!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy. Trainer bike is awesome. It's always set up so you will ride it more, and you won't corrode nice parts with your sweat.

Your other bike will always be ready and you will not be wearing out a nice chain and cassette.

You can get the position very very close I'm sure. Saddle should be exact, bars need to be close.

I don't need to be snarky but the market for 2007 guru is very small, it's going to be a pain in the ass, and you won't get much. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a 10-year-old tri bike from somebody they don't know .

Get a crappy front wheel to or make sure to cover it up because you can corrode the nipples on the spokes pretty easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's already been said but unless you really need the space or money you should definitely keep it. Having a bike on the trainer ready to go makes workouts so much easier. I know if I am lacking motivation having to set my bike up can be the final straw. Plus, if your new bike has a mechanical issue you have a backup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put it on the trainer permanently. I hate switching tires / wheels between trainer and outside, and that has led to skipped or badly rearranged schedule because weather was bad, and I didn't feel like changing tires again.
Quote Reply
Re: Old bike: sell for cheap or park it on the trainer [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I don't need to be snarky but the market for 2007 guru is very small, it's going to be a pain in the ass, and you won't get much. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a 10-year-old tri bike from somebody they don't know .

Yup, and in general your used 10-year-old bike is not worth as much to someone else as it is to you.

Another vote for keeping it if you have the space.
Quote Reply