Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 Slice and like it fine, but the have the new bike itch. Assuming I used the same components/achieved the same fit does anyone have any aero data in regards to time savings on the new P2, for say a 40K TT? If it's 20 seconds or less I'd rather keep what I got.

Apologies if this was asked before, navigating threads can get very time consuming
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [mr.fincher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the inquiry. I also have a 2010 Slice, and wondering if another bike would serve me better - without spending an arm and a leg.

My thought is to either to buy the new Tri-rig bars (and brakes) for about $1200, or to buy another (probably used) bike. My neighbor bought the Trek Speed Concept 7 for a steal, and the setup looks very clean and aero. I think the Tri-rig bars would hide most of my cables, essentially creating the same aero effect as the Speed Concept.

Anyway, thoughts and/or opinions?

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering the exact same thing, with a new TriRig front end (already have Omegas) or P2. I just can't find aero data on the original Slice (I'm sure it's out there)
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [mr.fincher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being that I can't afford both a new bike and Tri-rig aero bars, I'm trying to figure out which is my best aero option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very little probably get more time from other gear choices for much less money.. you have good bars, suit, shoe covers, disc, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bars are first gen 3T Brezza Ltd, Disc cover on Stinger 90, snug suit.
Front end is a bit messy by today's standards, but not terrible.
Brezza's aren't that adjustable. I guess the thing is I've heard people say the Slice is pretty decent aerodynamically but have never found a tunnel test, which seems odd considering how commonplace it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bars are old Ritchey carbon bars with Blackwell Research extensions. The extensions are fairly wide apart (narrowest setting) connected to a Ritchey 4-axis stem. I have Simkin Egg brakes - not great braking, and hard to adjust.

From this alone I could benefit with better aero bars, and the ability to hide cables.

As races get longer I could probably benefit from a BTB bottle. My current bottle (if I need one due to temp or distance) is on the seat tube.

I have aero wheels (disc rear, Flo 60 front), Advantage helmet, good skinsuits, shoe covers, etc. I'm constantly working on flexibility (very tight hamstrings) and I'm slowly getting lower. I race time trials, not triathlons.

I'm also looking for new shoe covers - what's the best aero brand? And maybe a new helmet.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you already have a long stem on the Slice you may struggle to retrofit the Tririg X bars without compromising position
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Unless you already have a long stem on the Slice you may struggle to retrofit the Tririg X bars without compromising position

Oh really? I thought they were quite adjustable. My stem length is 90mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The handy dynamic fit guide on the tririg website should let you know if you can hit your current pad stack/reach or not.

Just measure your current pad stack/reach then:
http://www.tririg.com/...c=alpha&page=fit

wacomme wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:

They are, but the adjustment envelope is a long way forward.
You would be stretched out by a couple of centimetres on Alpha X unless you have the Brezza pads flipped forward currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I had almost the exact same thoughts recently. 2011 Slice and have been eyeing a P3 or P2. Figure you can get a new P2 for $2500, maybe sell off some of the parts and the old slice, so maybe net out $1500-$2000 to swap frames, keeping most everything else the same (wondering if 2011 SRAM red/force is better than 2015 105 stuff on a P2, maybe?). So what is better about the P2 then? Presumably the frame aerodynamics are a bit better, probably the cable entry in the front end is a little cleaner? Almost seems worth trying to just drill holes in the top tube of the slice to cleanup the cable entry a bit (although that is scary). Either way sounds like a lot of work for pretty marginal gains :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you like the Omegas on the Slice? Was considering just doing that instead of a P2 (or maybe a P2 and Omegas). Any pics of what it looks like? Wondering if just the front makes sense (how much are you really saving aero wise on the rear brake?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/slice-drag.png

Hard to be sure about units (says watts on the chart) and hard to be sure about methodology (what parts of the setup are the same) and hard to be sure if this is the new P3 or the old P3. That all being said, looks like 10 watts of drag difference between old slice and p3.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Slice vs new P2, any idea about time savings? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
http://aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/slice-drag.png

Hard to be sure about units (says watts on the chart) and hard to be sure about methodology (what parts of the setup are the same) and hard to be sure if this is the new P3 or the old P3. That all being said, looks like 10 watts of drag difference between old slice and p3.

Interesting. I wonder where the drag difference is between the two bikes. A cleaner front end? Overall design? More airfoil frame?

And how much reduction in drag would I gain by just putting more aero bars onto my Slice? The same? The bars on the P3 don't look like anything special. The P3 could probably also benefit from more aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Slice RS was really good in the wind tunnel comparison I saw (Tour magazine if I remember correctly). The old slice was a bit of a turd, so an NP2 would be an improvement. Then add the TriRig bars and brakes for the ultimate budget ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them well enough in terms of stopping power. I switch between alloys for training and tubulars for racing and find pad swaps quite annoying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54cm Slice had a reach of 39.8 where the new P2 has a reach of 41.1 for the 54cm. However I'm running a 100mm stem and the P2 is stocked with a 80mm stem so there's more than the difference. Stack isn't as important as I'm running some (gag) spacers that can some out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, like you said it would be nice to see a little more clarity as to test protocols but at least it's a start
Ditching the Slice's seatpost is almost reason enough to upgrade. After 5-1/2 years of fighting that self-adjusting pig I'll be glad to see it go.
Another consideration is the P2 as a complete unit in race trim as it has better integration of bento/hydration/etc., and it can be upgraded to Di2 later
Quote Reply