Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [higuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brake is not fully releasing. This happens to me every once in a while and you just have to play with it until it fully releases. A few things I do when this happens:

- Unscrew the pivot bolts on the brake arm and clean them. I have seen these get bound up and not move freely.
- Clean the roller pins on the top of the brake arm where it contacts the wedge. Ensure the pins roll smoothly. Put some light lube on them (I have use old chain lube).
- Adjust the brake arm centering screws. Sometimes just adjusting them a bit frees things up and it will fully release. Don't ask me why on this.... sometimes it just works.

With the brake cover off, watch the brake as you engage it on and off. That will show you where it's getting hung up on.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, how does the 2018 gen2 module compare with the gen1 9 series module?

The gen2-7 has an aluminum seat post, less profiled (shallower) handlebar and full foil fork, correct?

Does either weigh more that the other?

Thx!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 24, 17 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey folks, how does the 2018 gen2 module compare with the gen1 9 series module?

The gen2-7 has an aluminum seat post, less profiled (shallower) handlebar and full foil fork, correct?

Does either weigh more that the other?

Thx!

Correct. The Gen2-7 has alu seat post, UCI legal brake cover, UCI legal basebar and full foil fork. Also I believe the UCI brake cover can hold the DI2 battery, unlike the aero cover.

Cannot comment on weight but I assume carbon seat post will be lighter (if you meant alu seat post vs carbon). I have no issues with my 2018 gen 2 SC. I didn't think it was worth the extra 800$ CAD or whatever to get P1, also I prefer the all black color on the stock SC for 2018.

I believe the Gen1 was great but the Gen2 improved on the adjust-ability and brake maintenance ease. Have not actually handled it so thats just what I read.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my 2018 speed concept 9 series with di2. Does anyone have pics of how they've wired/cabled it by the stem? Curious to know where/ how they've attached the junction box and where they put the double ended ferrule to connect the housings for the rear brake cable
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ditched the ferrules and just have continuous housing back to the brakes. Di2 junction box for me is mounted on the underside of the rear of my plug-in mono extension. I'll be home in a few days. PM me and I'll send you pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gen 2 is a nice bike. Definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion (I had both).

The 7 series comes with aluminum seatpost unlike the 9 series which is Carbon. The 9 series seatpost also has a di2 battery bracket holder built in. The 7 series seatpost does not. You can run the 9 series seatpost in a 7 series frame.

You can get the bigger fork, base bar, and speed fin on the 7 series but it mattered which mode you bought and what year. I don’t remember th details.

All the new 2018 speedconcepts are really 7 series bikes with the aero upgrades.. one thing I haven’t figured out is if the Carbon seatpost comes with it or not.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The gen 2 is a nice bike. Definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion (I had both).

The 7 series comes with aluminum seatpost unlike the 9 series which is Carbon. The 9 series seatpost also has a di2 battery bracket holder built in. The 7 series seatpost does not. You can run the 9 series seatpost in a 7 series frame.

You can get the bigger fork, base bar, and speed fin on the 7 series but it mattered which mode you bought and what year. I don’t remember th details.

All the new 2018 speedconcepts are really 7 series bikes with the aero upgrades.. one thing I haven’t figured out is if the Carbon seatpost comes with it or not.

Almost positive the 2018 comes with aluminum post, and although the frameset is pictured with the speedfin, I don't think it comes with it. The specs list it as speedfin compatible...

So I guess the new 2018:
- aluminum post
- lower grade carbon than previous 9 series
- UCI legal (shallower) bars

I really like the black finish though, and hard to justify spending $2000 Canadian more to get the 2017 9 series frame.

I just wish they didn't still use the same bottom bracket system. Have gen2 owners had the same frequency of issues (loosening) with the carbon BB shell, where you need the oversized bearing, or send back to trek to be re-worked?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 25, 17 3:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the 2018 speed concept. It has a carbon seatpost. It was a project one, but I don't think the seatpost was an option on the build.
BTW, I put a video on YouTube about di2 D-fly & syncronize shifting if anyone is interested in that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Grayzweb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd, I wonder if doing P1 makes it an automatic upgrade?

On the website:
https://www.trekbikes.com/...018/?colorCode=black

It says:
SeatpostBontrager Speed Concept Race Lite, alloy, +/-20mm offset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd you get the battery life and gears on your garmin? I have an old edge 510. Can I set that up on it or do I need to buy a new garmin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

On the website:

It says:

P1 from my understanding is all 7 series but with the carbon seatpost and potentially the basebar (aero upgrade) with speedfin. Thats included in the cost of P1. If you buy stock (Not P1,) its alu seatpost.I dont think 9 series frame set is an option anymore (layup).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
I dont think 9 series frame set is an option anymore (layup).

True but there are supposedly some 2017 9's available. But $$$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
How'd you get the battery life and gears on your garmin? I have an old edge 510. Can I set that up on it or do I need to buy a new garmin?

Do you have the wireless D-fly unit on your bike? The Garmin 510 supports Di2. Just check that it has latest firmware update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have The wireless dfly. Do I need it? Or do I just need to update my firmware?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

On the website:

It says:

P1 from my understanding is all 7 series but with the carbon seatpost and potentially the basebar (aero upgrade) with speedfin. Thats included in the cost of P1. If you buy stock (Not P1,) its alu seatpost.I dont think 9 series frame set is an option anymore (layup).

I've gone P1 for 2018, and speedfin comes as part of the tri-package, I think (fork, basebar, reduced setback post, and fin).

Its on mine anyway...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I don't have The wireless dfly. Do I need it? Or do I just need to update my firmware?

Yes you need it. I got this https://www.backcountry.com/...reless-unit-ew-wu111
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
Just got my 2018 speed concept 9 series with di2. Does anyone have pics of how they've wired/cabled it by the stem? Curious to know where/ how they've attached the junction box and where they put the double ended ferrule to connect the housings for the rear brake cable

This is where LBS put mine. It's not the most aero place for it, and I was thinking of putting someplace else. Perhaps in the speed box.
Last edited by: Grayzweb: Dec 25, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just thought I'd drop a tip in here for those with the 7 series Speed Concept with the alloy seatpost and carbon frame, or basically anybody with a carbon frame and alloy seatpost or vice versa. The bonding between those two materials from sweat is just about the worst you can get, which can eventually result in your frame and seatpost becoming permanently fused together. After this nearly happened to mine, I have a task on my calendar for me to move my seatpost up and back down again into place once a month. If it's a bit crunchy feeling, I'll add some lube. Anyway, this seems to be frequent enough to break any bonds that have started forming and to stay on top of it. I had to hammer on my frame and seatpost for two days, spray in solvents, all kinds of shit to get them to finally come apart. I don't want to have anybody else to go through that.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered buying one of the carbon posts?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [higuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if you can "buy" just a new fork to stay UCI compliant....I have a UCI 9.9 (love it..).

Thanks!

job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Have you considered buying one of the carbon posts?

Sure, when I get around to it and have the spare cash at the same time. Otherwise, all is good. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, can attest to that. I have a Specialized road bike with a stuck seat post. The bike shop didn't use carbon friction paste when they put it together and I had no reason to change seat height for a long time. Now its f-ed... I have a 7.5 with the alloy post but I had no issues so far. I did smear the inside with carbon paste and that seems to work pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the SC 7.0: I know that it does take a standard bat and stem, but how neat is it? Looking at pictures, the stem/head tube junction looks a bit wonky. Is this due to the frame or spacers? I'm thinking about putting a PD aeria ultimate on a SC 7.0.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I’d go for the integrated bars of buying an SC. I’ve not looked, but there’s not going to be much in it cash-wise. You’ve got most of the complexity with the stem stub on the 7.0, but few advantages. Unless you’re looking for a serious mantis front end, the adjustment available is plenty.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
Regarding the SC 7.0: I know that it does take a standard bat and stem, but how neat is it? Looking at pictures, the stem/head tube junction looks a bit wonky. Is this due to the frame or spacers? I'm thinking about putting a PD aeria ultimate on a SC 7.0.

I agree with Skippy. The Aeria Ultimate would be a waste on an SC. Go for the integrated cockpit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next