Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to pick up a lightly used SC and am having a bit of trouble with sizing. Back around 2007 I rode an Equinox 7 size XL and recall needing a 90mm stem to achieve the pad position that felt right; I remember wondering if the L would have been appropriate. Since that time, I moved away from triathlon and towards road racing but am now planning on returning to triathlon.

I don't currently have a TT bike for comparison (to measure Pad X and Y). That being said, I'm about 6'2.5", 34-5" inseam, and ride a 62cm Emonda H2 fit with a 110mm stem (1cm spacer and 1cm/tall bearing cover). It seems an XL is probably the right size, but I'm remembering my previous consternation. Any way I can take better measurements at home (without a TT bike) to guide my purchase? I appreciate any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dziehr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi dziehr-

The old Equinox bikes were pretty long & tall in any given size compared to current frame size norms. And for what it's worth, a 90mm stem is hardly uncommon in tri fits...1-2cm shorter than what you'd ride on road is often just right.

Ordinarily I'd avoid any sort of SC size prescription based on body measurements and/or road bike sizing, but it helps that you're pretty firmly in that upper range on both. I'm still not going to say this is a 100% lock, but the XL really does seem like the most likely size for you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I know it isn't of great importance, but just out of interest, has anyone ever weighed the handlebar setup of their Gen 1 SC9? So base bar, extensions, stem, and all the hardware? Not including brake levers/shifters.
I've searched online, but doesn't seem to be any published weights.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the stem and how many armpad spacers you're using of course, but ~1100-1200g is in the ballpark. of the over 450g savings on the whole bike from gen1 to gen2 over half that was in the cockpit alone.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two questions for GEN 2 SC:

1. Does anyone have any issue with the seatpost creeping down after a few 30-50mile rides? Its only a few mm but definitely noticible. I'm using a bontrager torque wrench to tighten to 5nm. The bolt does say 5.2nm and wondering if that's the reason...the 0.2 nm. Currently using aluminum post that's really high up to the near max height. Just use the wrench and then tighten a smidge more by hand? Hopefully that's it but don't want to overtighten and damage the frame etc.

2. Let's talk about the rear speedfin. What exactly are the complications of not using it? I think Carl mentioned that there needs to be compression on the screws at the brakes or something.... But what happens if we don't use the fin? I know several here have been riding without it. Why bother you may ask? Well, my 25mm tires get easily perched/stuck on it when trying to reinstall the tire. Even in small front /small rear cog it is not easy with my etap. Trying to hold the frame,jimmy with the derailleur while holding the wheel is tricky. I have this recurring nightmare that during my next race I chuck it into a nearby ravine out of frustration( would never do that).
Thanks,
JF
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using carbon paste on the post? I actually wrapped a little bit of metal tape around my post as well to make it more snug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I've taken to two somewhat crazy practices:

1. I use the aluminum seatpost. With 4nm of torque it has never slipped on me (knock on wood). The carbon seatpost had slipped on me with 5nm of torque while hitting a somewhat sizeable bump in the road.
2. I leave the speedfin on and have resorted to removing my chain entirely when removing/reinstalling my wheel. I have a connex chain so it's really not a big deal to take it off and put it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reverse order:

Johnnyfever wrote:
2. Let's talk about the rear speedfin. What exactly are the complications of not using it? I think Carl mentioned that there needs to be compression on the screws at the brakes or something.... But what happens if we don't use the fin? I know several here have been riding without it.

NO.

Do Not Ride Without The Rear Brake Cover.

It is not an optional piece of equipment. It is an integral part of the brake system, as it contains a co-molded brake booster which connects the brake posts once bolted on, and a secondary safety feature which helps keep the brake wedge between the arms where it belongs.

Johnnyfever wrote:
Why bother you may ask? Well, my 25mm tires get easily perched/stuck on it when trying to reinstall the tire. Even in small front /small rear cog it is not easy with my etap. Trying to hold the frame,jimmy with the derailleur while holding the wheel is tricky.

SRAM rear derailleurs don't "get out of the way" on rear wheel installation like Shimano RDs do, so I agree it takes a little more action on the user's part...but it's only a little. You're in small-small so that's the right first step. Then basically you have to help the cage get around the small cog. Like so (skip to 1:20 or so):

No, that's not an SC, but it's a SRAM RD and it effectively demonstrates what I'm trying to get across. This works on SCs with the Speedfin installed.

This guy does it with Shimano (in a stand, yes, but what matters is the idea of actively manipulating the RD...skip to about 1:57):

Johnnyfever wrote:
Two questions for GEN 2 SC:

1. Does anyone have any issue with the seatpost creeping down after a few 30-50mile rides? Its only a few mm but definitely noticible. I'm using a bontrager torque wrench to tighten to 5nm. The bolt does say 5.2nm and wondering if that's the reason...the 0.2 nm.

ridenfish39's carbon assembly paste comment is on point...at least as a first step. If it keeps happening then it should be brought to a Trek dealer for inspection and possible further action.

Hope these help!

ETA: added time markers for the vids and fixed my horrible quote formatting...sorry about that

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Feb 2, 17 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Do you know the reach from BB to the center of first bolt in the monoextension top cradle (size XL)? That bolt doesn't move in the x-direction for a given stem and spacer, so it would be a good place to base fit coordinates. Is there a better way to measure reach?

Thanks!
Last edited by: iamAERO: Feb 3, 17 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Carl,

Do you know the reach from BB to the center of first bolt in the monoextension top cradle (size XL)? That bolt doesn't move in the x-direction for a given stem and spacer, so it would be a good place to base fit coordinates.

It has three different positions depending on which stem you have...not sure that's as useful as you think it is...but:

iamAERO wrote:
Is there a better way to measure reach?

To where? I know I'm violating Slowman's "reach means reach" with that question, but you know what I mean...what X position (other than pad center) are you trying to find/measure to? And why?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the fast reply. For Medium-Far stem on XL, the bolt stays in place regardless of monoextension or pad setting, so it's an easy way to base pad reach at home. It's very difficult to measure reach at home, stack is much easier. Trying to match my fit from a previous bike.

Would you happen to know this dimension?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should be about 502mm

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am looking at the speed concept fit guide. There are 3 number ranges for arm pad reach. 1. mid-pad 2. pad-range 3. full-range. The guide says "If no stack + reach combination intersects within a monospacer block, expand your pad stack selection to include the pad-range row. If that doesn’t produce the desired result, expand your stack selection to include the full-range row.". However, it's not clear what this means technically.

Can someone help me out with what that means from a technical perspective? How would a bike be configured differently when going outside the numbers in the mid-pad range, etc.? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does this help?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a source for a complete screw/bolt kit for the SC? most importantly, all the bolts for the aerobars.
after only 2 years of use I find they're starting to rust a bit.
Last edited by: srschick: Feb 15, 17 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you asking about a gen1 SC? that's just a little over a page back in this thread.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 7.5
Would my LBS be able to get the set? or would it be a really complicated piecemeal process?
Last edited by: srschick: Feb 15, 17 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
437027 is the handlebar bolt kit for the gen2 bike, easy for any dealer to order. Currently out of stock in domestic warehouses but ETA is just a few days away (20FEB).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Will a 28mm rear tire fit a 2015 Gen 2 SC? I have been having a hard time finding info on this, sorry if this is readily available and thank you in advance!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:

Will a 28mm rear tire fit a 2015 Gen 2 SC? I have been having a hard time finding info on this, sorry if this is readily available and thank you in advance!

I ran a 25 mm Conti TT on a wide Hed Jet disc with no issues with clearance, and that is a big tire. Depending on the rim I would think it would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TennesseeJed

Best I can do is say not all 28mm tires measure the same...so it depends. Also, we designed for a 25mm tire and associated clearance (wheel wobble, etc) so if everything else in the system is nominal you've got a better chance...but no guarantees.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Hi TennesseeJed

Best I can do is say not all 28mm tires measure the same...so it depends. Also, we designed for a 25mm tire and associated clearance (wheel wobble, etc) so if everything else in the system is nominal you've got a better chance...but no guarantees.

Thank you Carl... I will give it a try. I have an old 28mm conti 2000GP that I am planning on throwing on my trainer wheel for indoor riding only. I wanted to ask first in case I should be making a stop on the way home to pick up a trainer tire, but it sounds like there is a chance it will work. TY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got my headset bearings replaced at my LBS (not a Trek dealer) and the bearings are not snug in the frame, leading to a little rocking in the steerer even when everything is tightened down properly. I think they just ordered me some FSA bearings to fit the fork, but I'm wondering if there's a specific set or brand I should be using or if this is just a weird fluke. I can't seem to find any recommendations on Google.
(2011 SC 7)

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next