Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [roa11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roa11 wrote:
Hi Carl,

I was going through the Trek website and looking at the Speed Concept bikes and I noticed that there are no complete 9 series bikes available according to the site and only a frameset.

Is this an indication that there is a new Speed Concept coming soon?

New 9.9 will have the new DA9170 which isn't due in till the end of February, hence it not showing up on the website. Even on the dealer portal (which has spec and eta, etc.) it's a dodgy looking drawing, not an actual picture of the bike, but as far as I can tell and from what we lowly shop staff have been told, it's exactly the same as the current one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

the front brake on my 2014 speed concept has developed play in it. i took the brake off recently to clean and service my bike and payed special attention to the brakes because i have never had them off before. in the manual it states to make sure the "e clip" is in place. when mine was removed it only had a standard flat washer between the brake and the front end. there seems to be a small gap from the washer to the brass bushing that holds the brake arms to the rockers. is the lack of eclip what is causing the play in my brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ddimaline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi ddimaline

the e-clip was part of the brake assembly at the time the manual was written...it has since been replaced with a standard flat washer as a running change to production.

a small amount of play is normal.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

When will speedfin will available for purchase? Not sure if it had been asked before if so my bad!✌✌✌

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In stock in all domestic warehouses right now. Part number w326750. Don't forget this is only compatible with the second generation bike, 2014 and onward.

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Looking at possibly upgrading my trek speed concept 9.5 2011 model to a newer model or keeping the frameset and upgrading to di2. In your opinion whats best option? Is the frameset just as good as newer models ? (Been looking the new trek and also the new boardman tte ssshhh ) maybe a respray and di2 ?

Cheers
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Sam

Hard to answer without sounding self- serving. The newer 9-series frame would be faster aerodynamically and a little lighter. Cost-wise the Di2 upgrade and a new paint job on your current frame would probably end up about the same $ (which I think you've already factored in)...so it's really down to which flavor of new suits you.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks ......hmmmm what to,do ..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

This is the first time posting to the Speed Concept owners thread. I have a question that may have been answered previously, but I am having a difficult time finding the answer for. I have a 2016 Speed Concept 7.5 that I am considering converting it to Di2 Ultegra. I would like to go the route of an internal seatpost battery.

I have not been able to find a definitive answer on this. But, I wondering if I will need to upgrade from the stock aluminum seatpost to the carbon seatpost to make the internal battery fitting work? I tried to ask my Trek LBS, but they seem to not fully understand what this conversion will take. For instance, they tried adding a new crank into the quote; but leaving out junction boxes, chargers, battery, and wire kits.

I figure someone else on this thread has done a gen 2, and may have an answer. Any help on this is appreciated.

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Malapanis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Aaron

I can't think of any reason why a new crank would be required for a Di2 conversion. There is a Di2 worksheet on the dealer's ordering website (Dexter) that they can use to pick out the correct wire lengths and boxes etc. On the seatpost, I believe there are owners who have found ways to use the aluminum post with the internal battery
..but officially it's not compatible. The carbon post has the mounting features for the battery bracket (part # w332400).

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thank you for the quick response and awesome information. I have one additional question. The LBS said they are not sure if the gen 2 speed concept seatpost will fit the 2016 7.5 speed concept, and they might have to do an external battery mount. Do you know if the carbon post will fit the 2016 7.5?

Thanks again,
Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Malapanis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All gen2 (2014+) SC seatposts have exactly the same shape...it'll fit.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl you have been very helpful in your responses. I have recently found a 2014 7 series frame and fork for sale in my size. What would it take to get the aero basebar (essentially the cockpit) fit up? What kind of price range are we looking at for all the associated parts? Also im assuming it should be a 7.5 based on the fact that its a frameset that has never been built up and not just a 7 series...any way to tell, and if it was a 7.0, could I still install the integrated aero bars?

Thank you.

TT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TT

Thanks for the kind words.

Other than paint there's no difference between the 7.0 and 7.5 at a frameset level, so yes, you can build it up with the integrated cockpit. There's even a handy 7-series upgrade worksheet on the dealer website which walks them through all the choices with respect to mono shape, stems, and mono spacers.

You say you've got frame and fork and call out the cockpit specifically, but from that info I'm not sure what else you already have and what you'd still need. Your dealer is the first line resource for that. If it's really a bare frame and fork, in addition to the cockpit you're at least going to need the frame small parts kit, brakes, brake covers, seatpost, bottom bracket kit for whatever cranks you're running, etc.

I'm afraid that also makes a price estimate almost impossible. And even if i knew exactly what you needed, prices are ultimately set by dealers.

If your dealer wants to doublecheck anything they can get in contact with me via their rep.

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the response! Will get in touch with my dealer and get it figured out!

TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I just picked up a Flare R after being impressed with them at a recent Trek Travel trip. I believe there have been some running changes to the construction of the light (mostly the mount???) since some of your comments here on how to mount one on a Speed Concept. What's the current recommendation for a Gen 2? BTW, the slide mount for my 2016 Madone is very nice. Too bad there's not a similar mount for the SC.

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See the 2nd half of this post

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In need of some advice. Planning on getting a power2max Pm. Looking at the FSA gossamer crank. What would be needed to get it to fit into 2nd gen SC? Just a standard bottom bracket bearing set? Maybe you have an example? Thank you for the help.

This is the set I'm looking at :

http://www.power2max.com/...er-meter-and-cranks/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should be good to go with an FSA BB90 bearing kit, part #s for your Trek dealer:

407382 (alloy)
415732 (ceramic)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Carl!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I want to get a bike stand to use with my SC 9.9. I'm nervous about securing the bike properly (obviously do not want to clamp the frame). What stand do you recommend, and is there a special Trek clamp to buy? I heard there is.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Poon-

I recommend any stand with jaws that open wide enough to grab the seatpost (which is 60mm deep on the gen2 bike, roughly 70mm on the gen1 bike). For stands that don't open wide enough we have an adapter 403494 for which you can get inserts specific to your generation SC: 416102 for gen1, 416101 for gen2. Here's a pic of that adapter in action.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I need your help! I've an issue with the seatpost which slides down... Torque at the right nm, used friction paste, but it still moves.
I don't know if it could be a seatpost clamp problem
Here it's a photo of the clamp as you can see that it isn't flat but the more you tighten the bolt, it comes up... do you think I need a new clamp?
Last edited by: simosl3: Nov 26, 16 23:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [simosl3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong but that looks to be assembled incorrectly. It's very easy to do. Check check and check again and wind it up carefully. Make sure the bolt is greased in the wedge.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next