Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Red X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly the same. You'll need to remove the rear brake cover to do derailleurs because the housing stops at the BB and you have to route from there back into the frame by hand.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^+1
with the bonus that the derailleur housing (should) routes into the stops at the bottom bracket, so it should route with a little less hassle than the brake.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the help.

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick questions for Carl or anyone who cares to answer, from a prospective buyer.
1) Is it possible to up-convert the Gen 2 7.0 front end to 7.5 spec? It seems like it would just involve swapping in the proprietary 7.5 stem and cap.
2) Do the shrouded Gen 1 forks (from the 9 series) fit the 7 series frame? [As in Felt's Bayonet] And are the head tubes all the same, or are the forks sized (small fork, medium fork, etc) ?

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andy_M

1) yes...your Trek dealer just needs to search for the 7.5 aero upgrade kit on their ordering system (Dexter)

2) no...gen1 and gen2 frames & forks are not cross-compatible. the forks are sized for the frames based on headtube length and, in the case of the XS, wheel size (650c).

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Mar 5, 16 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Got it, thanks!
2) Just talking about the Gen1. Could I take a 9-series fork and fit it to a 7-series frame, as long as they're the same size?

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops...sorry i misunderstood the question...answer still no, but it's because the gen1 7-series uses a standard steer tube style of fork (albeit 1" steerer diameter vs the more common 1.125") whereas the 9-series has an external steerer style of fork with a proprietary upper bearing size.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen pictures with riders from Trek team wearing Aeolus helmets with tinted visors. Is it something that can be ordered or it's a custom job? Helmet only comes with clear visor.
Last edited by: Slow_mo: Mar 8, 16 0:22
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slow_mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone has a .pdf link for the 2014 SC 7.5 service manual? Trek is hiding it or I'm an idiot.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for the 14 SC 7.5 service manual .pdf, the link I had is no longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant find the14 SC 7.5 service manual .pdf?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [chadheady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not hiding...just not reactivated since the website revamp.  In the meantime, courtesy of the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for multiple post, it didn't appear that any of them went thru. Thanks for the link

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slow_mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay...I was waiting for a more definitive answer. Then the forum format changed and my direct link to this post forced the folks I sent it to to try and find it among all ~8k other posts in this thread. Oy.

It's a team-only thing. Could that change in the future? Who knows. Demand is king.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2015 Trek SC 7.0 July 2015. I brought my bike in for a tune up and when I went to pick it up they told me that the bolts/screws in fork broke off. Basically I need a whole new fork or frame. They said it was covered under warranty and will be calling me back when they hear from Trek. I'm glad I brought this in when I did since the bike shop said I could I have folded over the aero bars. Luckily I live in a cold part of the country and I was using the trainer. I'm just surprised this bike is less than a year old with internal parts breaking. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence with trek speed concept 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First one I've heard of described that way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long does it take to process warranty claims? I'm assuming they will send whole frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering if riding on a stationary trainer can put stress on carbon or bolts. Mainly on the rear but I think there is
quite a bit more strain (side to side) when fixed to a trainer imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't really say, every case is different.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm about to buy a new Trek SC 9 frame in medium. I'm still riding my Gen1 SC 9 in the same frame size with a 100/45 stem. Can I just get the same position with the new medium frame and a mid-far stem?

Retul measurements for the old frame:

Frame stack: 518mm
Frame Reach: 406mm

Thank you in advance

Stefan
Last edited by: Steve560: Mar 13, 16 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Here's some pertinent language from our bicycle owners manual (not the SC service manual...rather, the generic manual for every bike):

USE SPECIAL CARE WHEN YOU ATTACH YOUR BIKE TO ANY DEVICE[/url]
If you attach your bicycle to a car carrier, workstand, trainer, or other object, you have attached it to a device. Such devices can damage your bicycle.

[snipped section regarding bike racks, car carriers and workstands]

A bicycle trainer is also a device. When clamped to a trainer, your bicycle experiences high forces that are very different from the forces that occur in normal riding. In extreme cases, the unusual forces applied by a trainer can actually break a frame. Avoid extremely hard efforts on a trainer, such as applying high side-loads when sprinting or climbing. Especially avoid trainers that rigidly hold the rear triangle of the frame while constraining movement of the rear wheel.
CAUTION—Clamping devices like those used by workstands, trainers, or car carriers can damage the finish on a bicycle, bend the dropouts, or even crush or break the tubing. Only use devices that are compatible, only use the devices correctly, and do not overtighten clamping mechanisms. If you are unsure about such devices, consult your dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
generally speaking, yes. the frame geometry didn't change. how you get to a particular pad stack changed, and the range of pad stacks available for any given stem is similar but the envelope shifted slightly lower. if you're maxed out on the pad spacer stack (50mm) with your gen1 medium and a medium far, then you won't get as high on the new bike...but if you're anywhere below that you'll be fine.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone figured out a way to cleverly mount the profile design FC25 http://aerogeeks.com/...-design-fc25-review/
Or the Torhans aero z
http://www.tririg.com/...TorHans_AeroZ_Review
I have a 2014 speed concept 9.9 with ski bends. Right now I'm utilizing a standard cage and bottle bta system. I'd like to use a system that allows me to stay in aero and hydrate while racing. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nole-limit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nole-limit wrote:
Right now I'm utilizing a standard cage and bottle bta system. I'd like to use a system that allows me to stay in aero and hydrate while racing.

to each his/her own, but BTA and staying aero while drinking aren't mutually exclusive...here's a short, recent thread on the topic:

jackmott's video near the end is instructive. my preference is to grab the BTA bottle with my thumb towards my body vs away ala jack, as I think it requires less twisting about and I never have to change my grip to end up in the same place he does...but either way works.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl,

thank you very much for helping me out! What Retul measurement would help to decide whether I could get my position with the mid-far or even with the low far stem on the new SC 9 frame. I'm now a little lower than I was during the Retul fitting. I have actually the 100/45 stem with now spacer.

Thank you, Stefan
Quote Reply

Prev Next