Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Where did you put the di2 transmitter (d-fly)?
At the moment I have it in the seat post with the internal battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered my Speed Concept! I'll need to order the Speed Box separately. Is that the best current solution for a bento box, or are there 3rd party options out there now that work better?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with treks. It has a subtle curve built in on the top tube
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! There is a Bontrager mesh top that appears to work with it. Do you recommend that?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I just ordered my Speed Concept! I'll need to order the Speed Box separately. Is that the best current solution for a bento box, or are there 3rd party options out there now that work better?

We make a '3rd party' option that you may also want to consider (this is what athletes think of our packs), we actually make them here ourselves in the USA. And the Speedpack 483D has tested very well on the Speed Concept:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have thought of you guys! I am still using the very first pack that you built on my Kestrel. I was an early adopter, and that pack is still going strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I can finally post pics of my Speed Concept since I FINALLY got all the parts in and got it together. I bought a 7.5 frame with the base and aero bars back in August on a trip to Alaska when I went to get a bike fit to decide between a Trek and Cervelo. For a groupset I went with Ultegra 6870 so I can sit on the brakes when I hit redlight areas and still shift. For the wheels I went with Bontrager Aeolus 9 rear and 7 front and for now I have them wrapped in Veloflex Master 25's. I still need to find a top BTA solution though, but so far I can't find one that works that is a black bottle.

So for the wheels I originally bought them in black. I kept looking at them on the bike and I just couldn't get into them. I'm not one for a murdered out look anyway. I looked into ordering a set of white decals, but found out Trek doesn't sell them to consumers and you need to send your wheel in to have the changed. So through a few steps I got a digital copy made up and used my wife's scrapbook machine to cut them out on vinyl I had left over from another project. It's white, but also reflective. I know it's not most people's cup of tea and maybe I'll get roasted, but I think it's neat. You really aren't much the wiser in daylight and it adds a bit of character at night when you can't really check the bike as a whole out anyway. I figure the worse that happens from this experiment is I don't like it and end have to pick a different color and cut more vinyl stickers out.

So in any case here's the bike with black...

Now with the white I made...

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the white...definitely

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I bought my 2014 SC 7.5 and I've had a few issues, not sure if they are serious or not so I wanted to check before blowing lots of money at the dealer! I initially had to replace a few bolts that were stripped out, I replaced with higher grade (12.9) ones, I'm assuming this is okay? They are also black which helps the look a bit! The issues I'm having are as follows :

- The steering has a notch on dead centre, i.e. indexed steering. It is only noticeable when the bike is wheeled around, it keeps the steering straight when running with the bike etc. Is this a feature or do my headset bearings need replacing?

- The previous owner/shop appears to have overtightened the bolts that secure the mono-extension to the monospacer, causing one of the slots in the stem to ovalise. This is causing a bit of play in the steering, and due to the soft aluminium there I don't want it to get worse. I'm assuming this is a part that the dealer can order in? (pic below)

- The lines on the body work do not line up along the steering axis (see pic below), does this indicate further headset issues?

Here she is in all her glory :

Cheers!
Last edited by: clumsy_culhane: Dec 29, 15 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [clumsy_culhane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy!

On the 12.9 bolts just don't use the higher grade as an excuse to exceed any torque specs .

Sounds like at least your upper bearing needs replacement, and then make sure you don't exceed the torque spec on the preload nut.

Your Trek dealer can certainly order another mono spacer for you.

Decals aren't indicators of steering alignment.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup definitely! I'm an engineer by trade, I adhere religiously to torque specs!

Cheers thanks for the help, I'll get it into a dealer then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Not sure how to start a new post.
Is there anywhere in the uk (or anywhere) I can source an alloy 1st gen speed concept seatpost, the local trek dealer can't get access to the trek website and can't find one anywhere online.
It's for the wife's TT bike.
Many thanks in advance
George.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl how do i go about (or is it even possible) to get touch up paint for for a P1SC? The LBS don't seem to hot to help me in the search.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Gshanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi George-

There never was an alloy version of the 1st generation SC seatpost...the same carbon post was used for all three series of bikes.

There was an alloy post available for the bike that preceded the SC, the Equinox TTX.

Whatever post you need, right now I'm pretty sure the only way to get a new one is through a dealer. If your dealer is having trouble accessing their ordering system (Dexter) they could try contacting the TrekUK guys in Milton Keynes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid we don't offer touch-up paint. Testors brand model/hobby paint has been one of our go-to recommendations in the past. Large color selection so you should be able to get very close. Their 1/4oz jars are a great size and really pretty cheap too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I'm afraid we don't offer touch-up paint. Testors brand model/hobby paint has been one of our go-to recommendations in the past. Large color selection so you should be able to get very close. Their 1/4oz jars are a great size and really pretty cheap too.

ok thanks!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info carl.
I'll contact them again monday and maybe give Milton Keynes a call too.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek's website got updated and link to Trek_2014_Speed_Concept_Service_Manual.pdf is gone. Where can I get it now?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slow_mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays! what is the maximum tire width it would fit on the SC, 25mm, 28mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year!

You should be able to get 25s in there...though profiles (and widths) vary for the "same" size tire from different brands and on different wheels, so the only way to know for sure is to put them on and see what you get.

The larger you go the more risk of picking up road debris that may scratch your paint or become lodged between tire and frame, too...this is especially true if you're going to be offroad at any point and even more so if you expect wet conditions. FMB Paris-Roubaix tubies measure out near 27-28 when mounted on a set of Aeolus 5 D3 rims, and I was able to run those on a 7-series SC for Dairy Roubaix a couple years ago...but if there had been any rain at all there's no way I could've used them because the clearance at the rear wheel was on the order of 1-2mm.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:

Acrylic, Enamel, or Laquer?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think their largest selection is in the enamels.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm selling my 2011 Medium 7.5 with brand new Roval Rapide CL 60s if anyone is interested.
Quote Reply

Prev Next