Quote | Reply
Yes

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve.

I have had time to put in a couple of rides on quite bad roads, and so far:

The bottle retention is very good. Almost too good. Some of my bottles will sit too tight for me to be able to loosen them during riding. Not a problem, just need to use the right bottles.
Saddle mount looks sturdy to me. I dont see it snapping anytime soon, even when loaded up weight-wise.
It is very noisy, rattle-snake-like noisy, if roads are bad when you have keys, phone, tools ect in the compartment. So I plan on putting some noise-isolation stuff in there.
Also, the lid closure looks very sturdy and has not popped open for me.
And the surface is not glossy, like in Bontragers pictures, it is matte.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds really great. Mind if I ask what website you ordered from? Our local distributors might take months before they get stocks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine via this Trek Dealer in Denmark: http://www.trek-aalborg.dk/
It was ordered together with my Speed Concept project One, so maybe thats why I got it early.
I got my speed concept about a month ago and recieved the 2-pack aero last week

Maybe delivery times are different if you order the 2-pack aero alone.
Last edited by: brynjulf: Jun 18, 15 1:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much! Looks like I have to master my Google Translate skills. Still, it's worth a try! Appreciate the info :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
preventing bottle ejection was a major project goal...so yes, we may have erred a little on the side of caution. I find a slight twisting motion when removing and replacing bottles works wonders.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, it sounds great. I'm very jealous of you having one already, I've been waiting for it for ages to solve all my problems with carrying bottles for a 100 mile TT without feeling like I've added a parachute to the bike. I really do hope mine arrives in time for the big event of the year in early September.

Re things rattling around inside, I use bubble wrap in the draft box to avoid that problem, wrapping each item or group of items in bubble wrap rather than just lining the box with bubble wrap and having everything rattle against other items.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm finally in the club. Bought this one Saturday. Dead mint.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [hammondc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use old beer coozies for noise dampening. They work wonders. I just stick my tube (w/ extension installed), CO2 and valve, and levers in the coozie and wedge everything down inside. Everything else I tape to the inside of the lid (power meter battery, razor blade, 3mm Allen Wrench). It works perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl:

I'm considering a more aggressive position on my Gen2 SC. It currently has the Med-High stem. How much ___ cm lower and ___ cm reach is the change to the Med Low/Far stem (stem change only, not mono-risers, other adjustments)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Carl:

I'm considering a more aggressive position on my Gen2 SC. It currently has the Med-High stem.

no it doesn't...at least, that's not what it's called...low medium and high all refer to height...we use "near" and "far" to refer to length...so my guess is you either have a Medium-Near or High-Near.

fishgo wrote:
How much ___ cm lower and ___ cm reach is the change to the Med Low/Far stem (stem change only, not mono-risers, other adjustments)?

roughly 4.5cm for both if you're going from Medium-Near to Low-Far. about 8cm lower and 4.5cm longer if you're going from High-Near to Low-Far.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
fishgo wrote:
Carl:

I'm considering a more aggressive position on my Gen2 SC. It currently has the Med-High stem.

no it doesn't...at least, that's not what it's called...low medium and high all refer to height...we use "near" and "far" to refer to length...so my guess is you either have a Medium-Near or High-Near.

fishgo wrote:
How much ___ cm lower and ___ cm reach is the change to the Med Low/Far stem (stem change only, not mono-risers, other adjustments)?

roughly 4.5cm for both if you're going from Medium-Near to Low-Far. about 8cm lower and 4.5cm longer if you're going from High-Near to Low-Far.

Sorry to not be clear: I have a Medium Near and want to go to a Medium Far. My cockpit needs to be pushed out a bit. As for the Monostem I'm using the 25mm. I will make up stack differences with these monostem combos if there is a pretty significant stack height difference. So the stack and reach differences between Mediums is ?? cm.?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same answer as before on reach...4.5cm

1cm lower stack on medium-far

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, was wiping down my three month old SC7.5 at the weekend and noticed that the paint is coming off the fork right under where it meets the frame. Links below:

https://drive.google.com/...LGTiobnRYZFdiaUNtZms

https://drive.google.com/...LGTiocEpGNFVsME1mWHM

My LBS owner/dealer is on holiday for the next three weeks but I'm obviously keen to hear that something will be done about this before it gets any worse. What would happen in a situation like this? There's also what appears to be mild bubbling on the top of the BB surface.

I love the bike, but definitively not keen to this happening.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [davecochrane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's something to bring to your dealer so he can decide if it merits a warranty claim.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Hi Rich-

The bar bumps are exactly what you guessed they are.

Pad holder bolts are M4 x 10mm button head...included in bar bolt kit 437027 (also 1st generation SC pad holder kit 420488) if you or your Trek dealer want to get them that way. Side note: it would be very helpful if your dealer makes a quality claim related to the missing bolts. Helps us track & rectify things like that.

Absolutely do NOT recommend drilling and tapping where you indicated. I've used zipties for one end and bolted down to one of the threaded mono details before and it works...you may want to put a spacer of some sort between the mono and your cage at the bolted end though...otherwise the cage ends up at an angle and you risk cracking it.

The packing tip for brake cable slack is exactly as you guessed as well. Definitely helps for the front brake...not always necessary for rear depending on what stem you're running and how much housing slack has been left on the frame from initial assembly.

Carl-

Why would you want to install the cage like you've said above? Seems like you're trying to tilt the install / the way the bottle sits? So it's at an angle and not lying flat? Trying to figure out why. Is there a benefit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I admit I'm just too lazy to read the 300 pages here to see if this has been answered...I have an arm length difference and have to pedestal just my left arm about 50mm, not possible with the mono-extensions of the newer SC. Can an earlier gen base bar be mounted on the newer SC so I can do this?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dgreen624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgreen624 wrote:
Carl wrote:

Absolutely do NOT recommend drilling and tapping where you indicated. I've used zipties for one end and bolted down to one of the threaded mono details before and it works...you may want to put a spacer of some sort between the mono and your cage at the bolted end though...otherwise the cage ends up at an angle and you risk cracking it.

The packing tip for brake cable slack is exactly as you guessed as well. Definitely helps for the front brake...not always necessary for rear depending on what stem you're running and how much housing slack has been left on the frame from initial assembly.

Carl-

Why would you want to install the cage like you've said above? Seems like you're trying to tilt the install / the way the bottle sits? So it's at an angle and not lying flat? Trying to figure out why. Is there a benefit?

nope :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the old 9-series direct-mount bar won't work on the new bike...

but you could get a steer stub for the new bike (part# 438987 and bolt kit 511065) which gives you a standard 31.8mm steerer section on which you could mount a standard stem and any aerobar which has independent armrest height adjustment.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
dgreen624 wrote:
Carl wrote:

Carl-

nope :-)

Ha --not sure how I read it so a$$ backwards.... NM!
Last edited by: dgreen624: Jul 10, 15 20:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
I just bought the carbon cage for my aero bars and I use an srm power meter that I keep in that spot. What ways can I mount my power control 7 on the 2014 speed concept?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jgarza22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried looking at the srm accessories page? The cage comes with a plastic piece that creates a false handlebar section on top of the cage. I'm betting they have some bar mounts at srm that would work with that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jgarza22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, has anyone ordered aftermarket replacement bolts for the aerobars area of the 1'st gen SC9?
Carl sent me the part # for the bolt kit from Trek, but just wondering if anyone knows all the specific sizes, if I wanted to order them from a place like torontocycles, etc.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get to the wind tunnel? I'm just reading your post, albeit quite late...

I'm setting up my two rear bottles (X-Lab Turbo Wing) and trying to figure out which angle is most aerodynamic for my nearly-flat-back position.

Thoughts?

In a former life, Hellriegel was my training partner. Going head to head all day, I let him win at Kona in 1997.
Quote Reply

Prev Next