Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Cuban3jumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent!

You're most welcome.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone in this thread have a stem for the 2011 SC that they'd like to sell? I'm looking for a 60/45 stem. The part number would be 420564 or 302465.

I would post in classifieds, but I'm in a big time crunch, and the forum won't let me create a thread for 14 days, it seems.

Thanks very much to anyone who can help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Humanosaurus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how time crunched are you? I see 5 Trek dealers within 15mi of Osceola IN (from your profile), that stem is in stock in our midwest warehouse, and could be on the way to any of those dealers within a day or so from the time they order.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thanks for the reply. I have a time crunch, but I'd also like to not spend a ton of money. As you may have seen, that stem is quite expensive from Trek. I'd love to be able to help another user here by buying their used stem, if they had to switch to a different size.

If this doesn't work out, I will go to one of the local dealers. I've actually already been in contact. I'm just hoping to save a little money.

Thanks again.

...bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally understand. Wanted to make sure you knew you had the dealers as a backup plan and that it was in stock. Good luck!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl,

I would like to fit a 2nd gen Pioneer Power meter on a '15 Speed concept (frame Large - 170mm cranks).
Big question is: does it fit? (I really can not find the answer myself on the internet)
It would be much more peaceful to order, having the knowledge it does (or does not) fit.

Hope you can help me (have a real world example)?!

Thanks Chris Woudstra,
Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Woody_NL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris-

I don't know for sure. I don't have one, haven't seen one on a bike around the office, it's new enough that there aren't a bunch of other SC drivers out there posting their experiences (which I would link to), and the manual(s) and support info on their website doesn't tell me enough to be able to model it up in CAD and check clearances and confidently say yes/no. As best I can tell, it looks like a really long Stages unit on the nondrive crankarm and it might be a little thinner than what Stages requires (10mm between crankarm and chainstay, which fits)...but I can't tell if any part of the driveside unit violates Shimano's crank clearance envelope, which is one of the things we take into account when we design the BB area of frames.

I can say this: if you do find someone who has it on their SC and they happen to ride a different size frame, that won't make much difference unless it's an XS...all the 700c frames share the same rear end.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl,

Appreciate all your effort!
I guess I'll just have to try it then :-)

If you happen to hear or see a SC-Pioneer install the coming 2 weeks, please let me know.
End of the month I'll go for it!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do and good luck!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl-

is there much of a fit difference between a 2012/2013 SC 7.5 and a new 7.5? I have been fitted as a Medium on the newest version, but am looking at a used bike as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [hammondc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fit envelope is very nearly the same, size for size. Only at the very edges (high stems with max spacers, low stems slammed, etc) are there some subtle differences. If you aren't at one of the extremes, you should be fine with the same size frame in either generation SC. How you achieve your fit on that size might change...e.g. a 100/45 (medium-far) stem on the old bike and a medium-far on the new one don't have exactly the same range, but at the frame level they're the same.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant! Good enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris...got good news and bad news...

located a nondrive sensor unit in the office and taped it on at the recommended distance from crank spindle axis...then I threw it in my 2014 9srs frame:

That tiny bit of clearance vanishes under very little load...I know we don't generally apply big pedaling loads into the crank arms at this point of the pedal circle, but I can't recommend installing a Pioneer power unit on the Speed Concept. Too much risk that it will rub. Sorry!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad! Really thanks for all your input Carl!

No clearance..... (and this is probably even a 175mm crank?)
I'm still waiting for info from Bs/Dealer/Pioneer.
I'll post that here too for future reference.

Now I'll have to find another PM option without needing to change a lot of components :-)

CU, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
165mm actually.

And FYI, your question through the Trek Store Help system eventually got routed to me this morning as well...and I just replied with the same answer I posted here.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello again. Apparently I'm not allowed to send PMs to people on this forum because I'm a new user, and may be a bot. Fair enough.

So, can someone do me a favor, and send a message to ridenfish39 for me?

I'm trying to find out if he still has the SC stem that I'm looking for. I posted on his Classified thread, but there's no way to tell if he's seen it.

If someone could ask him to respond to that thread, or send me a PM, that would be fantastic.

Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, never mind. I've just heard from ridenfish39, and he no longer has the stem. I'm off to call a dealer.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to confirm that the old 7 series (2011 7.0) have a 1 inch steerer tube and take a 1 inch stem. The manuals say the top headset bearings are 1", so I cannot see any other way, but I have not been able to find the stem clamp dimensions confirmed anywhere. All of the support seems to be focused on the higher models with the integrated front end.

I have a used 2011 7.0 on the way to me (very excited to join the SC club, even if it is a used, second hand, low end one it is a huge jump for me) and want to round up some stem options for fitting purposes.

Is the speed fin retrofittable to the older models? I would love to add one of those.

Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's a 1" steerer...but the bike ships with thick stem spacers which have the same OD as 1.125" spacers and a shim which allows you to run normal 1.125" stems on that 1" steerer. The shim is the same height as our Bontrager stem clamps (40mm) and should fit in any 1.125" stem (though you'd have to cut it and the steerer to run something like the TriRig Sigmas or any other stem with a clamp length of less than 40mm). If you're getting a complete bike on the used market it should come with at least the steerer shim, and however many of the thick spacers the seller ended up with. If you don't receive that shim you'll need to have your shop source one somewhere...it's not offered as a service part through the Trek dealer system (Dexter) but I've no doubt the big distributors like QBP offer one or more options...

like this

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

What is the difference in the clearance of the Stages vs. the Pioneer? Placement on the crank arm? Reason I ask is that the Stages pod is 1.4 mm thicker and I know a few folks using it with no clearance issues.

Thanks,
Geo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Yes, it's a 1" steerer...but the bike ships with thick stem spacers which have the same OD as 1.125" spacers and a shim which allows you to run normal 1.125" stems on that 1" steerer. The shim is the same height as our Bontrager stem clamps (40mm) and should fit in any 1.125" stem (though you'd have to cut it and the steerer to run something like the TriRig Sigmas or any other stem with a clamp length of less than 40mm). If you're getting a complete bike on the used market it should come with at least the steerer shim, and however many of the thick spacers the seller ended up with. If you don't receive that shim you'll need to have your shop source one somewhere...it's not offered as a service part through the Trek dealer system (Dexter) but I've no doubt the big distributors like QBP offer one or more options...

like this

Actually Carl, the Sigma has always come with its own 1-inch shim, specifically sized for the clamp length of the Sigma. So no need to source another shim or cut an existing one, in the case of the Sigma.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcellent! thx for the heads-up.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Gamecocci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know all the differences, but placement is likely a factor. In addition to the Stages unit appearing to be a bit shorter (lengthwise along the arm) than the Pioneer, it's interesting that Pioneer uses a fixed point (the crank spindle axis) as their location datum, while Stages indexes their range off the end of the arm by the pedal...so the location of Stages' clearance range moves along with crank length.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Is it not possible to use the full extension of the fore/aft on the mono bars. I am trying to move it all the way forward, but am hitting the notch in the set screw.

Thanks,

andy
Quote Reply

Prev Next